Richmond Vs Carlton round 1 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon last years results are still pretty damn relevant.

And we have only got younger.

really, i would have thought martin cotch would be better for the 20 games under their belt..Foleys return, MM rebirth as a midfielder, JR8's emergance as a coleman medalist...i could go on...we are significantly more advanced than we were approaching r 1 2010 but hey, I might be a little crazy:eek:

really, i would have thought martin cotch would be better for the 20 games under their belt..Foleys return, MM rebirth as a midfielder, JR8's emergance as a coleman medalist...i could go on...we are significantly more advanced than we were approaching r 1 2010 but hey, I might be a little crazy:eek:...

Just a tad...but hey i'm with you!...:thumbsu:...

And if we also play our secret weapon in young TV at full forward...

It will be like what 'Slade' belted out big time...

...'ma ma were all crazzzyyyy nowww'....:D....

...we are significantly more advanced than we were approaching r 1 2010 but hey, I might be a little crazy:eek:

Correct on both counts :p

The question is, have we advanced more than Carlton since round 1 last year?

The last couple of Round 1s has generally followed the same thing:
Carlton's midfield run over us early with our backline getting constantly bombarded, rendering us unable to get the ball outside of our defensive half, making us look like rabble. The game is over by half time(?)
That and their small forwards ripping through us.

If that doesn't happen, Round 1 is a success.

really, i would have thought martin cotch would be better for the 20 games under their belt..Foleys return, MM rebirth as a midfielder, JR8's emergance as a coleman medalist...i could go on...we are significantly more advanced than we were approaching r 1 2010 but hey, I might be a little crazy:eek:

They're factors but does that clearly make up the 12 goals we need to beat the Blues going by last year's results? I dont think so. We need everything to click and click from the first bounce to put some scoreboard pressure on them or I can see it being the same old start to the season.

But maybe I'm a little crazy too.

Correct on both counts :p

The question is, have we advanced more than Carlton since round 1 last year?

naturally it remains to be seen, i would have thought we could reasonably answer yes considering we were widely tipped to win O games in 2010...I'm prepared to wait and see, i have a strong dislike for long range forecasts, people know my thoughts on them

Personally I think our biggest improvement from last year will be our forward line structures. Our players will be much more comfortable going forawrd in general.

I think a couple of players like Jeffery Garlett and Lachlan Henderson have earned the trust of their teamates who won't hesitate to kick it to them or maybe I should say will have more confidence in kicking it to these players in any situation.

Add Waite and Betts who always play semi decent against your mob.

Walker is being given his chance to prove himself as a 3rd tall option and to use his strengths in an offensive capacity (athleticism, agility, stamina).

Oh and Andy Collins should be right to go. :p

No Jamison for us is a big positive for the tiges. JR could have a day out, you never know. :thumbsu:

Personally I think our biggest improvement from last year will be our forward line structures. Our players will be much more comfortable going forawrd in general.

I think a couple of players like Jeffery Garlett and Lachlan Henderson have earned the trust of their teamates who won't hesitate to kick it to them or maybe I should say will have more confidence in kicking it to these players in any situation.

Add Waite and Betts who always play semi decent against your mob.

Walker is being given his chance to prove himself as a 3rd tall option and to use his strengths in an offensive capacity (athleticism, agility, stamina).

Oh and Andy Collins should be right to go. :p

No Jamison for us is a big positive for the tiges. JR could have a day out, you never know. :thumbsu:

That would require us to get the ball out of defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last couple of Round 1s has generally followed the same thing:
Carlton's midfield run over us early with our backline getting constantly bombarded, rendering us unable to get the ball outside of our defensive half, making us look like rabble. The game is over by half time(?)
That and their small forwards ripping through us.

If that doesn't happen, Round 1 is a success.

This is the key right here IMO.
Not saying the difference between winning and losing but rather the difference between putting up a reasonably competitive performance or once again getting an atomic wedgie infront of 70,000 spectators and a million or so TV viewers.

Carlton don't play a zone like Hawthorn and Adelaide do so that's a positive but if they get a run-on going early, gain confidence (arrogance) then we will be chasing stinking Carlton arses all evening and end up chasing the scoreboard all night too.

If I had any say in it, I would be doing everything possible to get us fired right up before the first bounce, snarling and scratching and contesting like crazy. Control the flow of the game and get into the contest before we are just being reactonary all night.

I can't remember the last time we started a game really well. :cool:

Bit of a kick in the pants, or is Johnny Barker's coaching reputation unwarranted?

Not to sure to be honest. Never really payed much attention to him as a coach prior to this season.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/2011 coaching panel/tabid/16345/default.aspx

John Barker
Assistant Coach
Playing career:

1998 - 2006
113 games (Hawthorn)
Coaching career:
2007 - 2008
Assistant Coach (St Kilda)
2009 - 2010
Assistant Coach (Hawthorn)

All I can really say is that he has been around winning environments and by that I mean clubs who consider themselves genuine premiership material in the years he was involved.

Another positive is that he has worked closely with Riewoldt and Franklin arguably the 2 best CHF's in the league, so he surely must've gained something from his previous work experiences.

But other than my personal opinions I couldn't give you any solid evidence on whether he was a good coach or not.

Fingers crossed he has done his coaching apprenticeship now and that the CFC will reap the rewards. :p

Yes and by that time he's kicked 4 or 5 goals...

For me he's the danger man, one of the few players in that carlton side that can fire them up and get them on a roll...

Cannot see anybody in the tigers side, as yet, to nullify him...

oh dear the danger man betts. the same bloke whos kicked what 1 goal in their two finals and the same bloke whos done nothing when they need someone anyone to step up. hes neon esque.

oh dear the danger man betts. the same bloke whos kicked what 1 goal in their two finals and the same bloke whos done nothing when they need someone anyone to step up. hes neon esque.
Might have done bugger all in their finals but has kicked 6.6 overall in his last 3 games against us.

That's only 2 goals 2 average, hardly tearing us apart each time you know

Enough of the bean counting statistics already...

Last year when i was at the opening game all i could remember was betts running around untouched with the footy in hand and kicking goals...

Not sure how many he missed either..(bean counter plz insert number of misses here!)..

Betts started to fire up the blues on his own...

Speedy runs cutting up our defensive lines and he got the crowd buzzing every time he touched that footy...it got ominous and i started to get that sinking feeling in my guts...

And i'm sure it was'nt from the chips i had...

Ps...we lost...

That's only 2 goals 2 average, hardly tearing us apart each time you know
Only player from either side that has done better is Jack in terms of goals scored.

As for tearing us apart, last year round 1 Betts had 19 disposals 6 marks 6 tackles and kicked 3.3. In round 1 2009 15 disposals 4 marks 4 tackles 5 goals.

Betts is a major problem for us.
In fact, keeping say Henderson and Waite to 5 or 6 between them may be managable but it's the 8 - 10 - 12 goals from their flankers and mids which has usually burnt us.

Midfield pressure Tigers!!!!! It will help keep the ball out of the hands of their little blokes in space.

yep, small defensive defenders has been our nemesis for a while...Farmer was recruited specifically to fill that hole but looks better in a more attacking mode...I reckon o'Rielly could be the man...moves really well, handles the pill cleanly and his use at this early stage is impressive...that's who I'd be perservering with in this role...shame we haven't seen him play for a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back