Richmond, what were they thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Polaks upside makes it a risk worth taking. Besides the Tiges will still get a rippa with pick 13.

Nice attempt at a troll though.:thumbsu:

He can play, but he's no Chris Tarrant! He's not too bad at CHB, really good judge of mark, only we've got three other players that can do that too that are harder at it than Polak.

12-24 months will tell whether it was a good move or not. If Polak takes the CHB position and makes it his own and Pick 13 turns out to be another Dal Santo (like 2001 draft) then the Tigers will have done very well. Other side is if Polak does jack and Pick 13 is still a decent player all they really lost was Pick 42

understudy said:
No troll, just dubious as to the upside of Polak.

Athletic, 6'4 and a great mark. Was an elite talent at junior level and hasn't lost that ability. If the Tigers can get his head right and beef him up some then they've got a 10 year CHB.

I can understand the point of view. We are so horribly deficient in the area of key backmen that we had little choice but to chase someone in the trade period. We were really hit hard by teams with big, key forwards this year, e.g. Saints, Swans.
Polak may be a risk but I think its a risk worth taking and one we needed to make. If he plays to anything like his "upside" next year we could be a hell of a lot closer to finals footy than we would otherwise be. Even if he's just average he's still likely to be a better option than Ray Hall at this stage whom he's likely to be up against for CHB. Ironic in a way given that Joel Bowden is the incumbent AA CHB.

I’ve seen worse deals. McKee and pick 7 comes to mind. Mind you the Tigers would want to have improved since then too. I don’t think it’s a bad deal given their list. Freo were the ones squeezed in order to get Tarrant and get a return on Polak who wanted out.

Excellent move IMO, even if he's only just ok he will free up Bowden to be more creative at HB, I actually think Polak will come good at the Tiges, and they still have a good pick to boot. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worthy said:
Excellent move IMO, even if he's only just ok he will free up Bowden to be more creative at HB, I actually think Polak will come good at the Tiges, and they still have a good pick to boot. :thumbsu:

I'm with Worthy.

The Tigers desperately need a key defensive tall and by pick 8 the best available tall options are likely to be Reiwoldt and McKenzie.

The former strikes me more as a forward type, and they could spend a few years finding out that McKenzie is no better an option than Polak.

Polak carries upside, has experience at the top level, and could well benefit from the change.

Good thinking on this choice IMO.

understudy said:
Will cost them big time moving from 8 to 13 imo, will be interested to see who they get and who they miss out on at the draft.

You obviously don't know much about football.

I love bagging other clubs, but not on things they do well. The Tigers did very well, Polak will be a good player if they give him sufficient opportunities, which they will. Pick 13 is not too much of a fall, they most probably have one player in mind that would be available at both picks. I think it is Mourish.

You are a troll. Nothing more, nothing less. Weak as well, not telling us your club.

Moron :rolleyes:

Jeremias said:
You obviously don't know much about football.

I love bagging other clubs, but not on things they do well. The Tigers did very well, Polak will be a good player if they give him sufficient opportunities, which they will. Pick 13 is not too much of a fall, they most probably have one player in mind that would be available at both picks. I think it is Mourish.

You are a troll. Nothing more, nothing less. Weak as well, not telling us your club.

Moron :rolleyes:
Collingwood.

Key defensive posts down back, they currently have Gaspar (on his last legs), Thursfield (recovering from a knee reco) and Ray Hall (just being Ray Hall). They desperately need a key backman: Polak fits the bill perfectly for them, and it only cost them a slight downgrade in the ND (which is still highly speculative, even thouhg it is far more scientific these days).

Without a key defender, they would be going backwards next season, so the did exactly the right thing trading for Polak.

Bentleigh's - Graham Polak & related issues Thread

Overview

Graham Polak: 22 years of age. 195/6cms. 94kg.

- #4 2001 draft (Judd/Hodge/Ball).
- 2nd in the 2003 Rising Star, beating the like of Ball and Wells (who were playing a lot better than they are this season).

To me, it is clear he is a footballer with much potential. Drafted highly and thought upon very highly (many pre-draft had him rated as the outstanding player of the crop) as a very talented player.

Although you expect him to say it he seems to have a good attitude to coming to the club and wanting to do well. Has signed a long deal , seems to have a great attitude, wants to train hard and continue to hit the gym and becoming more imposing.

The Deal

A couple year back Polak would have commanded much more than Tarrent did today. To get him for and only (more or less) downgrading from #8 to #13, in a draft where outside the top 3/4 there is alot of good, even talent, is good buisness IMO.

From what I can work out, this is what went down. Swapping first rounders with Freo, and out 3rd for their 4th, whilst slightly upgrading our 4th via Collingwood.

In: Polak, #13, #60
Out: #8, #42

Wallace has stated: "I now regard us as having gained two first-round picks, as well as a second-rounder, in our recruiting endeavors." - more so who would have cost alot more a season or so ago. I am viewing the situation much the same.

Plough has had to choose his words very carfully after promising to never again give away a high draft pick.

Pick #13 in a strong draft, and we have managed to keep out 2nd rounder - which i think is very important and an underated top move by Miller his possie. A risk, no doubt but one well worth taking.

Miller has impressed yet again. Knew what he wanted and needed to do and did it well.

Future

All of the sudden our future spine (post Richo and co.), along with that dreaded black spot on our list – KPP, mid 20’s is looking a lot better.

In fact, a little something like:

Code:
FB: Thursfeild
HB: Polak
HF: Hughes
FF: Schultz

Ruck: Pattison

Bar Thusty the spine that looks like taking us into the next decade were all highly rated: Hughes (#24 - 2005), Pattison (#20 - 2004) Schultz (#12 - 2003) & Polak (#3 - 2002).

With Wallaces 'types'; Deledio, Meyer, JON, Raines, Polo, Tambling, etc. tall, skilled, running fleet (that he has invisioned and been modling since day dot) working the other positions – and life isn’t looking too bad.

The future, is all of a sudden alot more rosie, for some of the slightly more pessimistic amounst us, like my self.

Polak the footballer.

Does Polak have the potential to be our young, gun KPP? Our Rivers, Glass, Rutten type?

All Australia CHB material?

At 196ish he is a great hight. Polak has hit the gym hard in recent times knowing he needs to get strong and is now a good 94kg and looking to get bigger with a Paddy Bowden or Raines being able to do the job on the faster forwards.

For a big feller he reads the game very well (abit like Whitnall), has a vice like grab, and about as brave as they come.

Of course, on the other hand he might just be an out and out dud, and if so we have not had to wage too much to get the lad at the club. However, I think all the facts point to he having potential. Getting to that potential is another kettle of fish - yet Wallace has shown he could draft in the like of Paddy Bowden, Simmonds and Raines, Tuck, Pettifer and co.

Even as a forward (pinch hitting or otherwise) there is worst options. Richo (CHF), Schultz (FF) with Polak as the 3rd man might stretch a defensive.

Post-Trade week, I feel the club is in a better postion both in the long and short term than we were 7 days ago.

Forza Graham Polak.

Welcome to Tigerland.

CyberKev said:
I'm with Worthy.

The Tigers desperately need a key defensive tall and by pick 8 the best available tall options are likely to be Reiwoldt and McKenzie.

The former strikes me more as a forward type, and they could spend a few years finding out that McKenzie is no better an option than Polak.

Polak carries upside, has experience at the top level, and could well benefit from the change.

Good thinking on this choice IMO.

Shows that it's not just Richmond fans that like this trade. If Richmond can get someone good with their 13th pick, the trade is well on the way to working out. It's like the McDougall trade, if he plays good, the trade is a success, if he plays badly, well its a failure. But in reality, Richmond had to do something to fix it's KP defensive stocks, which at Hall, Gaspar and Thursfield, weren't too flash.

I was dissapointed at first with the trade but two things could make this draft work a) this is a deep and talented draft and b) that Polak has some runs on the board, his efforts this year against premiers WC with 17 touches and 11 marks shows that he can play (although it was only one game) anyhoo as long as Polak keeps his head in check and stops dealing with shady people, he'll succeed.

im not sure why people will be watching who goes at 8 because no-one knows that both richmond and collingwood were looking at the same player at 8.

obviously we were going to take the player we get at 13 at pick 8 otherwise i dont believe the deal would've went through and miller would've gone at polak with a different approach.

nugget_12 said:
obviously we were going to take the player we get at 13 at pick 8 otherwise i dont believe the deal would've went through and miller would've gone at polak with a different approach.

You dont know who will be available at 13 so that cant possibly be true.

If Polak goes on to perform Ill be the first to congratulate the bloke just saying on what Ive seen of him I wouldnt of been in a hurry to trade down my first round pick for him in the one of the best drafts of all time.

Polak may have played in defence but personally dont rate him as a KP prospect or CHF at all and would have gone for a bloke in the draft and looked to develop the youngsters on my list.

Time will tell if the tigers trading for a specific fix pays off in the long run or whether they should have gone after the best available at pick 8.

Given they are no where near a flag or contenders for quite a few years I would have taken the kid, but Wallace does seem to have a penchant for getting results overnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond, what were they thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back