List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm one of those people that don't care when someone leaves a club. It's a job you do while you have your contract. When Judd left I happily thanked him, moved on. If Gaff had done the same, I would have been fine.

But Rioli, after what happened, would be unforgivable.

I'll boo a player for the first time in my life.
I see it differently. After what happened and is now happening why keep Rioli? The risks look to outweigh the benefits.

mm
It's apparently 4 years versus our 3 years.
And if Willie played well and keep out of trouble, he more than likely gets another 2 year contract.

Can't blame the club for imposing conditions with his history.

To me, the main issue is the difference in money.

Someone was mentioning JNR`s partner wanted to be back in SA with her sister and family , so I presume this has shaped his thought pattern .. Happy wife happy life .

I can't blame him for taking a contract of that length .
I'm glad we are not going to match it and we had stipulations in his contract offer .

I'm just pissed its port because they along with essendon are just s**t teams to deal with at the trade table.

I highly doubt we get what we think rioli is worth especially after all the time , effort , support and money we have provided him .

Or get a pick that reflects port offer to rioli
Yeah, the worst part is I don't think we'll get much.

Long term, I don't see this being a good move for Junior even financially.

A man with no discernible employable skills outside of footy is turning his back on years of the sportsmen night's gravy train as a pretty beloved premiership player at the biggest club in Australia.

All he'd have to do is mumble his way through some stories and get some cash.

Ok I'm pretty late on the Rioli topic, probably done to death here.
Like many I was initially p**d off - but really it's a good thing.
He's problematic, mercurial, got issues, and lets face it, not the sharpest tool in the box.
Maybe we can't replace a Rioli, maybe we'll find someone better than a Rioli,
or someone with a bit of polish who can do some good stuff on a consistent and reliable basis?
Yep, the club has bent over backwards to help him and his family, but I won't be one wasting my energy booing him etc...so long as the footy gods don't have him kicking a winning goal on us?
Good to see the off-season beginning to get spicy...

Big Lil' Wayne, crushed up painkiller or whatever...ha, funny...oh well, he's no stranger to controversy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I'm pretty late on the Rioli topic, probably done to death here.
Like many I was initially p**d off - but really it's a good thing.
He's problematic, mercurial, got issues, and lets face it, not the sharpest tool in the box.
Maybe we can't replace a Rioli, maybe we'll find someone better than a Rioli,
or someone with a bit of polish who can do some good stuff on a consistent and reliable basis?
Yep, the club has bent over backwards to help him and his family, but I won't be one wasting my energy booing him etc...so long as the footy gods don't have him kicking a winning goal on us?
Good to see the off-season beginning to get spicy...

Big Lil' Wayne, crushed up painkiller or whatever...ha, funny...oh well, he's no stranger to controversy.
I also dont think you can build a winning culture (like the Swans as an example) with people like Rioli in the group. He will not play in a GF with us so move him on and rebuild - win - win although I think we have more to gain. Good ol Wayne (brilliant player) dog of a bloke. Broke a team.

He’s one of my favourite players, and it will suck to lose him if he goes. But the petty part of me thinks it’d be hilarious to march him to North via the PSD, so his reward for not copping 2 extra years of ASADA suspension is to play consecutive seasons at 2 of the worst sides in AFL history.

Fk me some of the posts in here are deadset pathetic. Even getting personal. Grow up.

Anyone who thinks rioli owes the club to the point where he should take less $$ and a shorter contract due to loyalty need to come back to the real world. I'll never begrudge someone for doing what's best for thier family. This is realistically his last chance to cash in and setup his life. Lot of emotional ppl need to get off thier high horse.

The interview sure isn't a great look, but rioli has never been a guy who is capable of giving vanilla scripted responses. Different kind of cat.

And let's be real, If rioli wasn't a jet no chance eagles stuck by him. We didn't keep him as an act of goodwill. SMH.

Now all that being said. I agree with the sentiment that ports offer speaks to the volume of what they should cough up. If 51 is all they offer, a pick were unlikely to even use... then yep I'd rather he go to the psd out of principle. How we handle ourselves at the trade table is something we have control over and sometimes you need to put a line in the sand.

If he does pick port I bet it ends up being a future 2nd.

well said I don`t like it but we have to respect his decision to look after his family and his bank account ..
I'm sorry but loyalty to your mates and to the club is incredibly important.

Rioli had a 3 year offer from Richmond and we offered two with conditions before hand. We upped the offer to 3 years to match Richmond, passed on the news to Daniels and gave him personal time for the loss of his father with the finalisation of the contract expected afterwards. (the money was the same at around 500k per year plus match payments)

His manager and or at Rioli's request then asks for or goes out to see if he can get a better offer.

Yes the club knew about Rioli potentially leaving, hence the ******* contract discussion and the increase in offer. Also why it seemed ******* odd that North and Essendon came out of the woodwork all of a sudden as being interested but it now makes sense.

This will be one of the very few times the club takes it very, very personally.

Rioli is running from his self made issues and is just ******* lucky enough the club supported him through them to get him to a point where another club was willing to put a 4 year contract on the table. For those not understanding in the industry this is considered a dog act. The fact it was all done behind the clubs back whilst on bereavement leave is just a ******* kick in the teeth.

There's not many things that Nisbett and I agree on but even we could get in a room to agree on this.

He has been provided with more support than anyone could have ever hoped for from a club. We also have the most community interaction, indigenous interaction and indigenous support of any club in the ******* league.

Rioli's manager is a campaigner
Rioli is a campaigner
and PA are campaigners

No matter what he gets traded for, he will go down in club books as a ******* pariah. As far as im concerned he will be booed and deservedly so.

WA is not SA where he wants to play ,so your missing the point ..

GCS and GWS suffer this yearly as a example from the Vic boys who want to play in Melbourne ,I don`t see these players being booed or getting threatened ..

well said I don`t like it but we have to respect his decision to look after his family and his bank account ..

WA is not SA where he wants to play ,so your missing the point ..

GCS and GWS suffer this yearly as a example from the Vic boys who want to play in Melbourne ,I don`t see these players being booed or getting threatened ..
Maybe because they didn't have any players sit out for 2 year and be looked after by the club.

I think you're missing the point.
That's whats caused the angst.

Imagine if Giants and Suns supporters boo’d everyone who’d left their respective clubs

There’s more players that have left than there are supporters. Poor ****ers would be worn out by quarter time each week they played one of the Vic clubs

Long term, I don't see this being a good move for Junior even financially.

A man with no discernible employable skills outside of footy is turning his back on years of the sportsmen night's gravy train as a pretty beloved premiership player at the biggest club in Australia.

All he'd have to do is mumble his way through some stories and get some cash.

I agree with this. I mean, the club could easily, easily set him up with some cushy mining industry job on high pay post football
-indigneous liaison officer
-cultural attache'
-sacred site awareness official
Etc, etc
What can Port Adelaide actually offer him post football? A pound of weed and a slab of West end?

Things to get mad about:
  • We paid for all his legal bills
  • We kept him on the list for two years for zero games
  • We kept him on the list for two years and he didn't come back in a 'yes I owe you big time' and going to get completely fit attitude.

Footy Rhino is saying the $$$ isn't too far off from us and Port ("Significant offer from WC" is the wording). The difference being port offering four years and us putting a lot of contingencies in the contract.

Now if the money isn't the issue, you would think what we are doing for Willie is just for his own good. You stay fit, out of trouble and do your best, you will get the two additional years anyways but you still remain an Eagles legend.

Just can't help but feel there's an element of Willie taking the easy route out.

Anyways for us, its a blessing in disguise as we really need to get the youth in and Willie is one of only a handful on our list that isn't an untouchable but with currency.
😂 lol the club isn’t looking after Willie for his own good.

West Coast is protecting itself, from a player who could fall off the rails at any time, as any smart club should do.

And Wilie is looking out for number one.

Yes, Willie does owe West Coast.

But we’re talking about a player who struggled to remain professional athlete his entire career, and has made poor and questionable decisions during his career.

Quite frankly, he’s the poster boy for the type of player you trade out for draft capital when heading in to a rebuild.

The big question is how do you get max value out of Port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back