RIP Allan Jeans - One of the Hawthorn Football Club's Greatest has passed away

Remove this Banner Ad

Very Very sad hearing the news this morning.

Yabby played a very important role making our club what it is today and is somebody that I have always totally respected - even before he came to HFC.

He touched and positively influenced many people both inside and outside the football world and there are very few people who you can say that those that knew him were truly better for the experience.

My sincere condolences to family & friends (and he had many).

No words. A legend of the Family Club.

Hawthorn 1981-1987, 1989-1990 (221 games, 159 wins, 61 losses, 1 draw), premierships 1983, 1986, 1989.

Yabby and The Hawks.

KnightsJeans246a.jpg

"QUITE simply, Hawthorn was the dominant force in League football in the 1980s.

The Hawks won four premierships (1983, 1986 and 1988-89) from a record-equalling seven straight Grand Final appearances (1983-89). This was a dynasty to rival Melbourne's great era under Norm Smith (seven Grand Final appearances from 1954-60)."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118424/default.aspx

Rest in Peace Allan Jeans.

As one of the many fans who fested on the success you brought this club, thank you.

Must admit I do have a pang of guilt when I think of Yabby though. In 1981 it was time to find a new senior coach after David Parkin had resigned. At that time Kevin Sheedy had hung up the footy boots and was in hot demand. I remember being filthy on the club when Sheedy signed with Essendon. I thought they should have gone harder after Sheeds signature.

Kennedy --> Parkin --> Sheedy - it made sense. The right progression.

When they announced Allan Jeans as senior coach I thought the club really did make the wrong decision and was down at the thought for sometime.

Luckily I was very wrong and we went on to have a great time in the 1980's.

Deepest sympathy to your wife Mary and your family.

Rest in Peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"From the first bounce to the end of the game there are only three phases ... when the ball is in dispute, when we've got it, when they've got it. When it's in dispute you use your height, pace strength and ability to keep in front to win the ball. When we have it the objective is to move as quickly as we can, retain possession, use team-work and skills to get it through the sticks. When they take possession the objective is to get it back, which you can't always do - but you can minimise their use of the ball by doing certain things." - Allan Jeans

So deceptively simple.

Re: RIP Allan Jeans

Was the figurehead and/or mastermind of Hawthorn's era of dominance. Only behind John Kennedy in terms of his renown at Hawthorn imo.

Requiescat in pace

[youtube]VgmRFSxaTGo[/youtube]

I remember him going nuts at the merger talks . . . from memory he was in favour of the merger and I didn't understand his attitude tbh.

I can confirm Yabby was an incredible and generous man, i met him once at a rec link footy match a few years ago and he was such a proud supporter of that cause, helping out homeless and unemployed/mentally ill people play footy and get their lives back on track.

I have to admit i was a bit in awe of him, but he was so modest and humble and was very happy to chat with anyone.

Football, St.Kilda and Hawthorn is far richer for Allan Jeans legacy and we are far poorer at his passing. RIP Yabby

[youtube]jp5tl9g_1ho[/youtube]

Also this infamous clip. I love when Jack Dyer comes in and starts dishing out the hams . . . it's so incongruous with the mood on the set lol

"From the first bounce to the end of the game there are only three phases ... when the ball is in dispute, when we've got it, when they've got it. When it's in dispute you use your height, pace strength and ability to keep in front to win the ball. When we have it the objective is to move as quickly as we can, retain possession, use team-work and skills to get it through the sticks. When they take possession the objective is to get it back, which you can't always do - but you can minimise their use of the ball by doing certain things." - Allan Jeans

So deceptively simple.

Yah they should have that on a plaque in the training rooms or something, if they don't already. Still applies today, especially the defensive pressure aspect which sounds a lot like this midfield zoning, or forward press.

RIP. One of the true legends of the game.

Only at Richmond for a very short time but still managed to leave his mark. If only he had been healthy enough to stay on longer, we might have turned the club around in the 90s instead of still being a mess 20 years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Allan Jeans - One of the Hawthorn Football Club's Greatest has passed away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back