RIP Allan Jeans - One of the Hawthorn Football Club's Greatest has passed away

Remove this Banner Ad

What a coach/leader he was..."inspired" the superstars and the blue-collar players to keep bettering themselves...

Acheived so much for this club, massive respect.

A very special person of the HFC who will be sadly missed, but not forgotten.

Jeans gives you a sense of the greatness that can be achieved - the glory of '89, case in point.

His way was a wonderful endorsement of what might now be called old-fashioned values and the virtues of hard work, sportsmanship, sacrifice, discipline & courage; the very things that made him so important to the young charges in his care.

A friend of mind was his niece, & I was so proud of that distant connection, back in the '80's when it was all happening. We were Hawthorn together.

He seemed to have that 'sixth sense' of what it took to lead and inspire, particularly on the big occasion; he had the integrity and humility to be decent in the everyday.

We have been blessed at Hawthorn. I contend, in the modern era, no other club has seen the likes of Kennedy and Jeans. We are forever in their debt.

His life was a triumph!

Got an email from Hawthorn suggesting they might start a new membership next year above Gold and Kennedy Club ( Im already Kennedy Club)
Asked what it should be named as 1 of the Questions
Think I have my answer now!

PS: thank you and God bless you Alan Jeans, a true great of not just Hawthorn and St Kilda, but of football!

I don't want to downplay any of the dozens of media contributions we have heard but Dermott has been magnificent today. Listening to him on the various stations I have got a very clear window into a rare player / coach relationship that transcended football.

Not just moving but really fascinating for me as I started following that team in 1986 as a 5 year old.

I guess I just feel like there is so much absolute bullshit in footy these days and it's interesting that only rarely on a sad day like today can we get a proper insight into the people in the game.

Same age as me. Cant remember 86 but can remember 87 and the tears. By the time 1990 came around I was confused why hawthorn weren't in the Grand Final, I just thought they were supposed to be there...

Jeans was a huge part of my early years as a Hawks fan.

RIP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP yabby , what a great football man you were . the mark you left will never be forgotton , thanks so much for being responsible for many happy moments of my childhood by helping the mighty hawks win premierships . condolences to your family and friends , you are a legend !

A big loss, RIP you great man. Very sad news, what a contribution he made to our great club. Was lucky enough to hear him speak when he visited my high school in 1994, will never forget his unique voice and inspirational speaking skills

A great leader of a great club.

Everyone should take some comfort in the fact that he was frequently visited by past players, friends and family when placed in care. He died knowing he was loved my many.

Honoured to have had the opportunity awhile ago to contribute to the Big Footy Hawks gift for Yabby. I thank those on this forum that made this possible. Rusty I believe you may be one of those men!

Forever remembered and revered.

Allan Jeans:-(
An alltime football legend
not just a hawthorn premiership coach,but the only st.kilda premiership
he actually walked up and shook Phonse Kyne's hand at the end of the 66 grand final
A sad lose to the Hawthorn Football Club and the AFL

Very sad news indeed...

Had the privillage to be taken for a few training sessions with the great man and you could see very quickly why Hawthorn were so good for so long under his instruction..

Pure genius and will be sadly missed

RIP great one

I was fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's and just a tad too young to truly appreciate the late 70's. Listening to Derm today, I unashamedly wept with emotion. I am sure many of you have too. No wonder we kept making the GF in all those consecutive years - yes the right players make a coach look good, but a sensational coach of the right set of players moves the team to a rare stratosphere. That was Jeans.

For those younger supporters who missed his tenure as coach at the Hawks, the man they called Yabby was simply awesome.

RIP Mr Jeans. Never forgotten.

How fitting the Hawks were able to deliver a belting of the Bombers a few weeks ago when he was spotted in the stands. I guessed at the time that he was about to draw the curtain and was there to witness the Hawks in person, one last time.

Thank you for the memories Yabby.

Condolences to the family and friends of Allan Jeans.

We will miss you, but we will never forget you. A true legend of Australian sport.

Re: RIP Allan Jeans

the youtube video is spine tingling stuff, as good as it gets, we must honour this great man's legacy and win the flag, we have all the motivation in the world to do it. RIP Yabbie :(.

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP Allan Jeans - One of the Hawthorn Football Club's Greatest has passed away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back