RIP Port Adelaide - *warning* epic bump necrothread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Easter Sunday for one. Not exactly a lot to do! And the PSN is down :(

I am far more active on the other boards than I have been on this one, but still, I am interested in the thoughts of Port fans the day after one the worst losses in their history.

Even tho you have the occasional ageing crack at me morell you know I respect your posting. It's disappointing to think you will be jumping off (I am hopeful your angst will wear off) and I know it's not decision you would take lightly.

But just on the highlighted comment, I can't let that go without some response. We are a very ordinary football club at the moment. be it tactically or on the field there are clearly major issues. We were beaten by a side with far more talent - albeit young - than us and with the vast resources of the AFL supporting it.

Yes they have copped a few hammerings in their first appearanes, but they have been improving. They played a side that gave them a sniff and they won. And to be honest they deserved to win.

The problem is in this age of tweeting and facebook and seemingly unlimited electronic access I think people are more worried about how this sort of defeat makes them look than they are about the actual defeat. A reflected poor image leaving them open to all sorts of reprisal.

So you get this incredibly inflammatory reaction on the part of supporters who feel so devastatingly let down by their club.

I'm not saying this is you, but there is a sense of that me/here/now generation response.

Really one of our worst losses? I've seen us lose grand finals, I've seen us lose to crap clubs when we were a real powerhouse, I've seen us thrashed by arch-rivals ingames that really mean something.

I could probably name dozens of games that were far more damaging historically than a round 5 loss by a struggling side to an enormously resourced Gold Coast.

To be fair I haven't really jumped off, I am not a member and haven't been for a couple of years. I have more confirmed my lack of interest in supporting Port Adelaide now and into the future.

You can call me names if you like, I really couldn't give a shit. There are far more important things going on in my life than a sub-standard football club and the thoughts of some interweb pundits.

which team are you going to support now?

i remember when my club was torn apart in 07. It was rough beeing heckeld by everyone at work and mates and stuff but i never waverd in my belife or support that we could rebuild the club. other clubs like carlton,freo,melbourne,north and now brisbane have been through similler off field,financial and personell crisies in the last decade. my thuoghts go with you guys and ill be watching with interest after these crossroads for your club.

Hi guys,

I never come to another club's board unless I am there to congratulate them, so if my comments aren't appreciated, feel free to delete them.

I honestly feel Port are in the same position the Hawks found themselves in the late 1990s-early 2000s. We had been successful but lost our way.

What I believe we did wrong was live in our own little coccoon, ignoring the rest of the football world as it developed around us. We continued to do things the Hawthorn way, coaches Peter Knights, Ken Judge, Peter Schwab .. all Hawthorn people from a successful era, and we were confident they would restore former glories. They didn't.

The thing we needed is what we got. Someone from outside the club with fresh ideas, new directions, a proverbial kick in the pants, etc. I feel Port have fallen into the same trap. The time has come for the Power the break free of previous glories and take a quantum leap into the brave new world of AFL football.

That's how I see it. Cheers.

I want to believe we can improve our mindset/culture, i just don't have faith it can change with the current administration.

I think our financial woes have impacted the quality of coaching/development staff we have to the extent its costing us games. I don't know if Chris Scott was the better candidate, but it would've been nice to have a new perspective at the club.

Hopefully the debt demolition, Adelaide oval etc works out and we can start increasing spending in our footy department. Until then we just have to reward performances at SANFL, fast track the kids once their fit ( Jacobs, Moore, Lobbe etc) and delist heavily at seaons end.

We'll be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

I never come to another club's board unless I am there to congratulate them, so if my comments aren't appreciated, feel free to delete them.

I honestly feel Port are in the same position the Hawks found themselves in the late 1990s-early 2000s. We had been successful but lost our way.

What I believe we did wrong was live in our own little coccoon, ignoring the rest of the football world as it developed around us. We continued to do things the Hawthorn way, coaches Peter Knights, Ken Judge, Peter Schwab .. all Hawthorn people from a successful era, and we were confident they would restore former glories. They didn't.

The thing we needed is what we got. Someone from outside the club with fresh ideas, new directions, a proverbial kick in the pants, etc. I feel Port have fallen into the same trap. The time has come for the Power the break free of previous glories and take a quantum leap into the brave new world of AFL football.

That's how I see it. Cheers.

So what you're saying is we need to get Al Clarkson back? ;)

I have not 'jumped off' Port, and never will. But what I have done is emotionally detach myself from the club and its results. I will still see some games, hope to see improvement and one day, maybe, if something drastic happens, maybe see them back playing the football I expect from a Port Adelaide team. I can only speak for myself when I say enough is enough of putting a massive emotional investment into something that puts nothing into it in return. The players don't care, so i am going to join them.

It is like being madly in love with a woman that could not give a rats arse about you, except on the odd occasion when she acknowledges you with a wink and a smile. It lulls you into thinking you might be half a chance at the honeypot, only to see her tongue lashing some Bieber wannabe shortly after......

No way that Port will finish bottom...

Fair bit of class there, just seems to be a mental thing.

Backline is a bit of a worry but is still pretty young..

Still reckon GC will get the spoon, despite the win.

I reckon with our list we are far better than our results show, and I think the main reason it mentality.

Mentality is too often dismissed as something small and that can easily be fixed. If you followed our club though, I can't think of another club that loses in similar fashions to us. We either lose and are unable to even mount a fight back, have a lead where we should have the game all but won only to inevitable lose, or we'll be up by a huge margin only to win by a couple of goals. This has happened scarily often since 2007.

I reckon with our list we are far better than our results show, and I think the main reason it mentality.

Mentality is too often dismissed as something small and that can easily be fixed. If you followed our club though, I can't think of another club that loses in similar fashions to us. We either lose and are unable to even mount a fight back, have a lead where we should have the game all but won only to inevitable lose, or we'll be up by a huge margin only to win by a couple of goals. This has happened scarily often since 2007.

I have said similar for a few years now - I reckon that collectively the current group of mainly experienced players are the opposite of my signature.

You win some, you lose some. That's sport. It's not like we lost to an amteur team. We lost to a new AFL team. WOW, shit happens. Any day any team in this league can beat another in the right conditions.

PORT ADELAIDE SINCE 1870 - there have been worse times, if you can't handle the bad times then you don't deserve the good times and you can **** off when the good times happen.

You win some, you lose some. That's sport. It's not like we lost to an amteur team. We lost to a new AFL team. WOW, shit happens. Any day any team in this league can beat another in the right conditions.

PORT ADELAIDE SINCE 1870 - there have been worse times, if you can't handle the bad times then you don't deserve the good times and you can **** off when the good times happen.

So many cop outs in one post.

I'm not jumping off, I never ever will but if other people do that's their prerogative.

We did mate, we did

One other thing. Tjhe reason nearly all of us support Port Adelaide is because they are our local club. The whole point being you support your local teams in sport. There is no point otherwise.
The only other option to Port on a national scale is unthinkable.

One other thing I cannot understand are the pussies with the mentality of 'if you criticise the club then don't bother supporting it'. This the mantra of shit parenting - blindly love your child and never discipline it when something goes wrong.

I could never part ways with Port as I love the club, but when it's clearly doing something wrong and the pattern is as clear as daylight, it deserves to be criticised (and disciplined, but as a supporter I obviously cannot discipline it).

Chin up everybody! Yeah it was a shit outcome but every team has its ups and downs, theres no reason to think any different now!!

One other thing I cannot understand are the pussies with the mentality of 'if you criticise the club then don't bother supporting it'. This the mantra of shit parenting - blindly love your child and never discipline it when something goes wrong.

I could never part ways with Port as I love the club, but when it's clearly doing something wrong and the pattern is as clear as daylight, it deserves to be criticised (and disciplined, but as a supporter I obviously cannot discipline it).

100% agree. One of the more infuriating things after a loss is reading the Facebook page and seeing the numpties bagging those who criticise the team when they perform poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back