Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

I appreciate Port fans are hurting and the trade wasn't what you would have hoped.

I honestly reckon you guys have grabbed a potenitally great player in Joe Richards. At times this year due to injury, we had to play a variety of players with little to no experience. Lachie Sullivan, Ed Allan, Harvey Harrison, Reef McInnes etc..

Of that crop, Joe Richards was a massive standout. His composure when he had the ball and ability to read the play, for a bloke who had no senior footy experience really stood out. Of the players with limited experience on our list, he was the one I personally didn't want to let go.

Clearly Port saw something in him when they offered him a 3 year deal months back, and the Pies did too as we matched the deal but he still nominated Port. He won best young player at the Pies BnF this year.

A snapshot of his first game here, I recommend watching it if you get time. Everytime he touched the ball was class:

See how you mentioned Richards is a "potentially great player". Guess what Houston is an Elite proven player hands down.

We don't need you to polish this spud who is 25 year old 9 game player hasn't proven anything and already has a injury history after 2 years.

Just ****in Great!

A real picture of his 9 games.
Collingwood - 2024
Gm Rd R # KI MK HB DI GL BH HO TK RB IF CL CG FF FA BR CP UP CM MI 1% BO GA %P
1​
West Coast
W​
29​
10​
3​
8​
18​
1​
2​
6​
3​
4​
2​
5​
14​
1​
2​
1​
3​
91​
2​
Adelaide
W​
29​
8​
1​
4​
12​
1​
5​
1​
1​
2​
1​
6​
7​
1​
75​
3​
Fremantle
D​
29​
13​
7​
9​
22​
1​
3​
1​
4​
3​
3​
1​
1​
9​
12​
1​
3​
1​
1​
80​
4↑​
Gold Coast
L​
29​
5​
2​
1​
6​
1​
2​
2​
4​
1​
1​
1​
36​
5​
Essendon
L​
29​
4​
3​
4​
8​
1​
1​
2​
1​
2​
6​
1​
1​
2​
77​
6​
Geelong
L​
29​
6​
3​
9​
2​
1​
5​
2​
1​
1​
1​
2​
5​
73​
7​
Hawthorn
L​
29​
4​
2​
5​
9​
1​
3​
4​
1​
1​
5​
4​
1​
1​
2​
79​
8↑​
Sydney
L​
29​
1​
9​
Melbourne
W​
29​
9​
2​
10​
19​
1​
1​
4​
3​
1​
5​
14​
2​
83​
Totals9 (3-1-5)5920441036525221515443666341127
Sam gray had better stats. The thing is under Hinkley lol.

I appreciate Port fans are hurting and the trade wasn't what you would have hoped.

I honestly reckon you guys have grabbed a potenitally great player in Joe Richards. At times this year due to injury, we had to play a variety of players with little to no experience. Lachie Sullivan, Ed Allan, Harvey Harrison, Reef McInnes etc..

Of that crop, Joe Richards was a massive standout. His composure when he had the ball and ability to read the play, for a bloke who had no senior footy experience really stood out. Of the players with limited experience on our list, he was the one I personally didn't want to let go.

Clearly Port saw something in him when they offered him a 3 year deal months back, and the Pies did too as we matched the deal but he still nominated Port. He won best young player at the Pies BnF this year.

A snapshot of his first game here, I recommend watching it if you get time. Everytime he touched the ball was class:

There’s some real stretching of the truth going on here

“No senior footy experience”

The dudes 25 ffs, of course he has senior experience. What, has he been playing under 12’s?

Also, pies didn’t offer him a deal until the end of the season, months after ports offer.

I come in peace, I'm not here to cause trouble. (hate the crows if that helps? :p )

Richards has to be one of the hungriest youngsters we played this year and quite frankly I think towards the end of our season he was hard done by with consistent opportunity. I'm sad to see him go but I hope you guys can give him a good home as he takes his game further. He's quick, has a higher footy IQ given the amount of games he's played and he's confident in his ability.
So was Teakle when we picked him up as a mature age in the mid season draft.

Unless I’m thinking of someone else, he was putting up crazy numbers in the Orbost & Omeo League a couple of years ago.

A sort of Isaac Smith countryfied late bloomer situation.

Sort of.

I'm already concerned with his highlights.. not at Richards himself but we literally do not have a player that can deliver the ball like those kicks to him except for the guys we literally traded for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will love him.

The game vs Freo was a good indication of his ability - plenty of it for a small fwd, clean.

He got injured that game and missed 5 rounds and had lost momentum when he came back in.

Good luck Joey, hope you dominate.

He'll thrive with regular opportunity.
If you've seen the games he did play; he is very clean, a one touch player that can be damaging. He has real pace, good tank that can play up and down the ground.
He gets involved in a lot of score involvements, can tackle and provide pressure, and knows the goals.

You'll love him. He has come a long way from his first season, and he'll only get better with more time in the system.

Players performing in the 2nds, that have barely been exposed at AFL level are often looked upon favourably. Has no correlation to actually being able to perform at the top level.

It's the grass is greener syndrome. It happens on this forum all the time.

Burgoyne in his 2nd season, as a stick figure kid, that had surprisingly played a shit load of AFL games at that point for his age wasn't being celebrated as developing well, he was being written off. All because he was being exposed to us all.

Meanwhile we have an entire history on this forum of talking up players in their 3/4/5th seasons, playing SANFL and performing, and then watching them bounce in and out of the AFL side before delisting. We just see them performing in the SANFL and think they will automatically do it in the AFL and that the coaches must be wrong.

It's all the Collingwood fans are doing and I take it with a grain of salt. Richards is an ordinary footballer, and probably a minor improvement on Evans, who is probably going to cost far more than he should.
Based on that, NO kid from the draft is worth looking at! I mean, they just play in a kids league, so has no correlation to playing at an AFL level!

So you're telling us he's potentially better than Lachie Sullivan, Ed Allan, Harvey Harrison, and Reef McInnes?

I suddenly feel much better.

Random posters coming here telling us he is better than we think and he will be a great addition to the club reeks of when I was a kid and got the poor rip off toy version of what I actually wanted for Christmas and my parents telling me it’s the same thing and give it a try.

Here’s the thing.

It’s not. It’s shit.

They knew it, I knew it.

Just like we all know this guy isn’t what we are looking for.

He'll thrive with regular opportunity.
If you've seen the games he did play; he is very clean, a one touch player that can be damaging. He has real pace, good tank that can play up and down the ground.
He gets involved in a lot of score involvements, can tackle and provide pressure, and knows the goals.

You'll love him. He has come a long way from his first season, and he'll only get better with more time in the system.
He will hit his prime at 96

On a serious note, if you leave the value we paid for him out of the conversation and see him for the player he is, he's genuinely better than Narkle, FEvans, McEntee and Mead. I think it'll be an underrated signing and his workrate is elite based on the data. I think he'll surprise a few here.

Yes I know with the deal we've done we should be expecting a lot more output from him, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out the 25-30 goal season from him if he plays around the goals. At Collingwood he was deployed much higher up the ground with occasionally playing on the wing.

On a serious note, if you leave the value we paid for him out of the conversation and see him for the player he is, he's genuinely better than Narkle, FEvans, McEntee and Mead. I think it'll be an underrated signing and his workrate is elite based on the data. I think he'll surprise a few here.

Yes I know with the deal we've done we should be expecting a lot more output from him, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out the 25-30 goal season from him if he plays around the goals. At Collingwood he was deployed much higher up the ground with occasionally playing on the wing.
Totally agree. He is much better than those you mentioned and he can definitely play. I am happy with this pickup.

Random posters coming here telling us he is better than we think and he will be a great addition to the club reeks of when I was a kid and got the poor rip off toy version of what I actually wanted for Christmas and my parents telling me it’s the same thing and give it a try.

Here’s the thing.

It’s not. It’s shit.

They knew it, I knew it.

Just like we all know this guy isn’t what we are looking for.

Yeah, I always wanted a Thunderbird 3, but all I got was a crappy Thunderbird 1 that didn't fit together properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back