Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond - 7:25PM Thursday 22nd March @ MCG - Team - post #1352

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is manifestly not what I said.

I said this:

High scoring in the context of last year, sure. High scoring in the context of the last few years? Below is the top 2 sides in terms of goals kicked for the season since 2010.

2010: Geelong, 413; Collingwood, 395
2011: Geelong 426; Collingwood, 415
2012: Hawthorn 435; Adelaide 388
2013: Hawthorn 414; Geelong 390
2014: Hawthorn 418; Port 362
2015: Hawthorn, 426; Eagles 372
2016: Adelaide 396; Swans 376
2017: Adelaide 395; Geelong 343 (Richmond in 4th, with 331)

So, in summary, not only have the last two years been down in terms of goals kicked, but Richmond haven't even been in the conversation for sheer offensive power, despite winning the flag. Your premiership was built on defensive pressure, not offense.

My other contention was that, for most of the season, you'd go hell for leather for two terms, then you'd have a rest (whether or not you or I think you play tempo footy for that period is a matter of opinion) before your best players smashing it in the final term to win the game. In third terms, Richmond kicked 76 goals where their opposition only kicked 67, which you'd think would scupper my argument. However, I also said that over the last few months of the season, the opposition just couldn't make Richmond pay for their lapses; if you remove the last 7 matches from both Richmond and their opponents, the opposition kicked 55 goals to Richmond's 49 in the third term.

That demonstrates your third quarter lapses, no?
One of the more selective use of stats I've seen for a while.

The excitement of round 1. Cant wait.

So many permutations of what to look forward too. Listen to my heart and we upset the tigers in a thriller; or listen to my head and we get done over. On balance, we will probably walk away with a competitive loss.

BUT NO...I want to listen to my heart, deep down, there is whisperings "what if, what if we bloody won!".

Even if it is a loss, I'll grab the popcorn and come on here to read the post-game ranting! I've missed the rants almost as much of the wins. How do the rants go again? In order of most popular:
1) "<insert player's name> is just not up to it".
2) "BB doesnt have a plan B when things go wrong"
3) Why hasn't BB played L OBrien instead of <insert older player's name>
4) Why don't we persist with Mckay instead of Casbault
5) SoS drafted Sumner and Jaksch so I don't know why everyone rates him
6) Thomas/Lamb is a hack

I think that covers most people's favourite rants when we lose. In terms of dealing with these posters, I nominate Gethel. He has come a long way and is a master of the forum posting. Has the right skillset; can infuriate, can befuddle, can confuse, can get confused, can include insightful points too. Regardless, Gethel has all the tools. Gethel, steel yourself, and face down these ranters.

And not part of the knee jerk ranting group, but we might expect some to see the following...
In the background we know Soapy will be saying in a loss, play the kids. If we won, he will abstain and cheer us on. But he is waiting, ever waiting for that moment that his psyche demands "why not give Lebois and Polson a go". :)

Arrow might chime in and raise the prospect of a mid season trade period.

Blueallthru will say something but it will not be more than 4 to 5 words in total. He wont be upset at me saying that as he doesn't read posts this long, so wont even see it :p

So much to look forward too.

I'm preparing for both eventualities as im a prepper. Anything could happen. It all comes down to the downtrodden. Can Casbault, Lamb, and Thomas shine! So much depends on these types of players halving their battle or having a good game.

Go blues...so pumped!

Last edited:
Put Plowman on him if he drifts forward

Play Kennedy on him in the square, then get Ed to run with him

Dunno, I reckon Ed could run with him all day, the man is the freakin energizer bunny. Doesn't have the burst speed of Dusty though. So maybe Ed goes with him but zones off to a wing (to chase the rebound) and the Plow takes over in the D50?

Can't wait for the sides to be named

As hard as it is to stop Martin, i have a feeling Bolts might have something planned
Simon White cameo?

So from McKay's injury report last week, Lang and Williamson sound very unlikely, and I can't see another player not selected for JLT making the round 1 team.

B: Plowman, Jones, Byrne
HB: Simpson, Weitering, Marchbank
C: Murphy, Cripps, Fisher
Foll: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Ed
HF: Samo, Charlie, Daisy
F: Jack, Casboult, Dow

I see those 18 as certs.
Pickett out obviously, doubt O'Shea or Obrien get picked.
Garlett (in if fit), Cunningham, Wright, Lamb, McKay and Mullett fighting it out for the last 4 spots.
You have it spot on.Garlett plays if fit.Wright,Mullett,Lamb,Cunners if not.Harry is the question mark.

Just cause your premiers doesn’t mean your the best in the league.Doggies were the best team in September but not necessarily the best in the league.Granted they should win but we’ll be in it for a long way.
I respectively disagree. When starting a new season you can only use last year's form. Until the season proves otherwise, they are currently the best team in the league

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

well now, Ive been considering doing a regular thing for some time. Numbers and I have spoken of this somewhat frequently

Well we should at least give it a spin!

I’m going to round 1 but will be up for Round 2 if your keen.

I think I need to buy you a beer for all of your great work that you do for all of us. It’s the least I can do.

Cheers,

TA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we should at least give it a spin!

I’m going to round 1 but will be up for Round 2 if your keen.

I think I need to buy you a beer for all of your great work that you do for all of us. It’s the least I can do.

Cheers,

TA

We're thinking the Arbaba for round 2 (sat arvo)

Dunno, I reckon Ed could run with him all day, the man is the freakin energizer bunny. Doesn't have the burst speed of Dusty though. So maybe Ed goes with him but zones off to a wing (to chase the rebound) and the Plow takes over in the D50?

I wouldn’t mind Weitering or Jones on him when he goes forward. Match him for strength and in the air

Not being negative but I don't think we will win would be over the moon if we did get up.

But they are just too strong and well drilled, they are coming off a awesome finals series.

Where they comfortably beat all comers I think all the galaxies will have to align for us to win.

Would need a thousand meteorites striking the MCG at the same time for us to win.

Gunna be a ripper Thursday night.

Bit of fine dining, The_Wookie (in scarf) yelling at the screen, me, pint in hand, ducking out the back for a menthol, and the mighty Baggers pulling out a Round One Festivus miracle.

Ed: gone beer free tonight, so oysters are on the cards.

Can’t wait!!

Gunna be a ripper Thursday night.

Bit of fine dining, The_Wookie (in scarf) yelling at the screen, me, pint in hand, ducking out the back for a menthol, and the mighty Baggers pulling out a Round One Festivus miracle.

Can’t wait!!
Kernahan hat?

Not being negative but I don't think we will win would be over the moon if we did get up.

But they are just too strong and well drilled, they are coming off a awesome finals series.

Where they comfortably beat all comers I think all the galaxies will have to align for us to win.

Would need a thousand meteorites striking the MCG at the same time for us to win.

You are probably right but the Doggies were the big deal at the start of last season and they derailed quite easily.

Stuff happens in the AFL and the entire comp is close. If Casbault gets lucky and Curnow plays out of his skin, we are a chance. It's about our forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back