Game Day Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Game Day Discussion & Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Those 3 un-forced errors in the last quarter cost Carlton dearly at crucial stages: Everitts' dropped mark, Tuohys' failure to give the ball forward & Kerridges' handball....All due to a lack of composure.
(4) Kerridge's shank at goal in the opening minute of the qtr.
(5) Casboult's set-shot shank from 35m in front.
(6) Lamb's OOF to an unmarked Walker in the pocket.

Leaving aside the get able misses from set shots, the general play was a much better standard than the last three years....they won the game in the first half of the 4th quarter - when they got something like 5-6 center clearances in a row...they were good enough to come back twice - whilst our team wasn't quite good enough to put them away ...I though Mr D. Martin was the difference between the sides when it mattered that walking fruit cake is just awesome to watch - give him half a meter and he is gone and away explosive acceleration and smarts. Thought Murph was our best played a real Captains game and copped a nasty hit to his shoulder late in 3rd quarter early fourth which quietened him down for tens minutes - they ran away with it during that time.

Bolton has delivered - now lets see who he ends up putting in the team next week - the players are picking themselves.

and yes I am a bit pissed at losing this one.

Last edited:
Boekhorst's kicking is a thing of beauty too.

BB did seem hesitant in some contests where he could have gone harder but I'm unsure if it's related to safety or him trying to think his way through it. He does some decent stuff in close to make me think he's not exactly a fraidy cat. Will be interesting watching over the next few games.

Dre obviously is soft, but you take the good with the bad with him.

I don't know how many possies he got but he was ignored quite a few times as well.

Need the ball in the hands of good ball users.

I hate saying anything positive about any Richmond players, but Rance put on a clinic tonight. He was a one man brick wall, was the difference in the end...

On the train so on the iphone so bear with the auto corrects :p

If you guys play the way you did tonight, you will win 6 games. Even with the 6 players out we had, you guys hit the ground running and outworked us for the majority of the game. We just steadied in the last and got over the line. Both supporters should walk away smiling. Our second string players stood up and that did not happen last year and we have found a beauty in Manadue.

Cripps is a jet, we know that but I loved that Withering kid. He did not get much of it and got beaten a few times but his celiling is majorly high. He creates space in the contest, some of his evasion work for a first year player was first rate. What really surprised my was your outside run, i have not seen you guys run so much both ways.

Again good game and see you again next year.

We had a crack but were our own worst enemy.

We lost that game, they didn't win it. We wont give them that many gifts next season.

The signs are good.

I said in the offseason that if Plowman can somehow turn himself into a threat up forward (which theoretically should be a possibility) then we could contend for finals.

Still hold this view after tonight's game

I love Casboult. I really do, he has grabs like nobody else.

But if we're serious - this is his last year.
He can't play as a stay at home forward and not be able to convert when he has to. He needs to spend a heap of time on his goal kicking.

We had a crack but were our own worst enemy.

We lost that game, they didn't win it. We wont give them that many gifts next season.

The signs are good.

Hope next round one, both sides get to field there strongest teams. If you guys keep improving like I think you will, it will be a cracker.

Boekhorst's kicking is a thing of beauty too.

BB did seem hesitant in some contests where he could have gone harder but I'm unsure if it's related to safety or him trying to think his way through it. He does some decent stuff in close to make me think he's not exactly a fraidy cat. Will be interesting watching over the next few games.

Dre obviously is soft, but you take the good with the bad with him.

BB looks the goods to me personally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very ****ing frustrating night at the footy.

Won the free kicks 21-16 but FMD some of those 16 seemed borderline and led directly to goals.

That plus a deliberate out of bounds and another when the ball was over the line - but not called and resulted in a goal to Lloyd.

Won inside 50's by 57-46, had more scoring shots and still blew it.

The game was there to win and should have been won - very, very frustrating!!!!

A lot to like about the way we played - but a little more composure would have led to a better result.

Go and have a look at clearances around the contest in first 15 mins of final quarter when the game was there to be won..
I agree - they totally turned the midfield battle in their favour for that crucial period. That's what cost us in the big scheme of things.

BB looks the goods to me personally.
Me too. I wasn't bagging him, I'm actually rapt with most of what we're seeing from the lad. He's going to be a weapon kicking inside 50 for us,

Obviously hate Carlton, but I have no doubt they are now seriously on the up.

We knew that many players were just disillusioned last year and we knew the game plan was awful, and we had a few half hearted players who made the rest fall like dominos. So with the way Bolts is and the game plan he was teaching and the new found attitude, we knew we had to be better. Unfortunately you have to show it for anybody to believe you so we suffered through the barbs. Fair to say none of our critics expect us to give such a good account of ourselves first game back from humiliating ourselves.

It's good, but hollow because when the game is unfolding before you, all you can see is that you could have won and it would have done our souls a world of good.

I expect these guys to be inconsistent this year but this sort of endeavour is the starting point and I think we might have some players labelled elite sooner rather than later. Baby steps.

I agree - they totally turned the midfield battle in their favour for that crucial period. That's what cost us in the big scheme of things.

Murph was hurt and the rest didn't lift - those 5-6 clearances won them the game - that has to be looked at very closely at training I suspect.

Could've, should've is how i feel about tonight... but in the scheme of things i walk away slightly chuffed with how we played and the bright future that we have with Cripps leading our midfield and Weitering the general in defence..

I don't mean to blow smoke up your arses but that looked like a good game plan to me.

Maybe a tiring one and we did seem to lag in parts, but we've come from a terrible base fitness wise so that is a rapid improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Game Day Discussion & Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back