Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 19th March 7.40pm (EST) @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a feeling Williamson isn't getting a look in for round 1, regardless what happens. Newman will get first attempt.

They may not even find a spot for SPS shockingly, given the desire to play more senior guys.

Surely "The OTHER Half back" Spot is Newmans to lose. He soared above expectations in '19. Sure there were a few games he would like to forget, but overall it bought him much faith with the selectors. As a mature bodied half back, he gets in the team until he loses the position. Willo needs to just keep knocking or find another position ie Wing

Yeah read it how you see it. 2018 - 3rd year tall forward with good numbers that have declined since the injury in rd 8. He may always be battling niggles though, so perhaps he has found his peak. I think he has a bigger contribution to make myself.

I think his new shape - thanks to Ar and some discipline will be a game changer for MM

Richmond get 'lucky' a lot and I have no time citing luck as an excuse....because it's not.
They for now....just sync up so very well and it's all those little things that add up to the whole. They're playing as a unit and we're for now playing as individuals. It is where we are and that will change, but there's a stark difference between the clubs as things stand.

Are we talking about cohesion here?

I like Fisher & Walsh on the wings. Both great when in space.

Lack of quick, small defenders is a real concern. We need Simmo to play at his best, Plowman and Doc to get another full game under their belts and SPS to be ready to go.

Expecting at least two of Cripps, Ed & Murph competing at the majority of centre bounces with others rotating through.

Bit of a waste IMO. Both -esp walsh are great out of a contest.

Unfortunately it seems round 1 has snuck up on us a little. Had we have had another 2 weeks to prepare, we would field a much stronger team.
I would like to see TDK play and told not to go any further than 30 from the goal square.
I would love to see Willo come in as we need his run and aggressiveness.
SPS we need desperately, i hope he has the fitness required.
Don't think this will happen. Would be exciting to see Philp debut on the big stage. Reckon he would hold his own, he is a tackling machine and we are desperate for some pace.
Cunners, with his x-factor and pace and goal kicking prowess. Has to play imo.
GO BLUES!

He's not going to play.

Teague likes McGovern. McGovern likes Teague. The forward line functions better with McGovern in it. TDK is too raw to play an entire game against Richmond. He's not there, yet.

Not sure they’re competing for the same spot. A fit Gov is clearly in our best forward 6. We need to replace Harry and Charlie. TDK probably gives us a better option than who would otherwise get that spot.

HF: Martin, Levi, Jack
FF: Betts, ..., Gov

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jsos in front of Kennedy everyday of the week! He might be better in the air but he doesn’t work to keep the ball in the area or have repeat efforts

JSOS's workrate to present as an outlet target from defence against Brissy was absolutely first class.

He's not blessed with great acceleration or top line speed, and yet he was regularly 2-3m ahead of his opponent on a long hard lead so that our distributors had a relatively safe kick to the wing.

Plays 22 games this year.

Feel like there was more optimism across the supporter base going into last year’s season opener than next week’s game.
Take that as a good thing. Rose coloured glasses are off and genuine levels of expectation / list vulnerabilities will be confirmed / exposed. Not just blind hope. Going to be interesting to see how the opening three rounds pan out. I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

JSOS's workrate to present as an outlet target from defence against Brissy was absolutely first class.

He's not blessed with great acceleration or top line speed, and yet he was regularly 2-3m ahead of his opponent on a long hard lead so that our distributors had a relatively safe kick to the wing.

Plays 22 games this year.
I think alot of people think of him being similar to a type of player he isnt.

I said last year, he is more a Sergio than a Stephen. He has the footy smarts to make up for his lack of speed, as you pointed out.

Jack is best 22 for us and will be going forward. watch his game benefit from the development of those around him.

you have five guys that couldn’t get a game / or only played VFL last week in your Round 1 team for Richmond. Plus TDK who only played a half.

very unlikely brother.

Preseason AFL vs. VFL isn't the same as regular season. Entirely possible the club wanted to give guys like O'Brien, Williamson, SPS, Cuningham etc. the opportunity to play in a game where they would be expected to see more of the ball than they would if they were playing supporting roles in the "AFL" game.

I do doubt they all play round 1 against Richmond, but equally I wouldn't be writing off last week as they "couldn't get a game". It's all about what activity provides the best preparation for the individual.

WC, Tigers lost both games

GC, Dockers won both

Marsh Cup means nothing

West Coast and Richmond don't have anything to prove in the Marsh series.
I thought we might have really gone hard for 4 quarters against Brisbane to really focus in against Richmond for round 1.

Take that as a good thing. Rose coloured glasses are off and genuine levels of expectation / list vulnerabilities will be confirmed / exposed. Not just blind hope. Going to be interesting to see how the opening three rounds pan out. I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

It'd be nice not to be 0-3 for once.....feel like it happens every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back