Preview Rnd 1 - Carlton vs Richmond Thursday 2nd April 7.20PM @ MCG - TEAM post #821

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much to be excited about tomorrows game! :D Sneaking out of work early - Check! Bourbon - Check! Carlton jersey still fits after off-season - err scarf and beanie - Check!

Looking forward to seeing the positive pre-season attitude and work ethic carried out onto the big stage. Big ups for the new lads - Jones' leaping, KJ's flying fists, and most of all Clem wrecking anything in black and turd yellow rags. Tiger hunting season is open folks - Get the **** in!!!!!

Looking forward to Judd. When was the last time he ran out and had some real support . Probably West coast days.
If our other mids pull the finger out and help share the burden, then we could be in for a real treat from Judd.
It all stems from our half back line, hopefully Yarran plays a blinder and sets up our forward entries and everything flows from there.

Yarran links up of half back and after 3 bounces, 1 handball receive and 2 goose steps he slots the sealer at the 20 minute mark of the last quarter by putting us 21 points in front......
Gentlemen please adjust your attire .........

White would be so unlucky to miss out after the preseason he's had.
I don't think we'll make any changes.
I dont either... It that we will go in with Everett and White because they can both play multiple positions as either medium or tall players. Should be a good match :D

Not a bad looking side, wonder if Casboult might come in late. I'm leaning strongly towards no.

Rowe will relieve in the ruck. Rowe can also play both ends and kick straight even if he isn't as good of a mark, he's looking as though he may offer more.

Our midfield looks as good as it's been in the last ten years. Especially if White and Cripps play well, we know Judd, Gibbs and Murphy will give us heaps and we know what Carrazzo and Curnow will give us. Add Thomas and Simpson to the mix as well. Their midfield is fairly good but depth wise perhaps not up with us. Will be some cracking good defensive matchups and one on ones.

Backline looks solid, there could be more rebounding power there though but that may come if Simpson or Thomas play back or Touhy/Docherty have a cracker. Yarran will no doubt be tagged.

Forward lines, I think they will be wondering who will kick their goals much like us. Riewoldt has trouble with Jamison and being a sole main target will likely get double teamed and have to put up with the likes of Jaksch, Docherty and anyone else around getting in front of him and blocking his space. They have some dangerous goal kicking mids, you always suspect a small forward to bob up and kick 4 goals against Carlton. Rowe will probably go forward at times for us to spread the talls and open it up a bit but this could be interesting, Everitt to create a mismatch as well hopefully.

Some quality players left out of the side. Casboult needs to get a few things right form wise. Walker is missing, would be real dangerous forward or back. Byrne is ready to go and was one of our form players in the preseason. Buckley seems to be out of favor but can play. Sheehan proved he can play. Kreuzer is our main ruck. Watson can play a bit. Warnock can play a bit. Tutt is very close. Walker and Kreuzer definitely our two main outs. You would not want to have a bad night or you may find yourself out next week.

Some slight injury clouds over Cotchin and Deledio according to afl.com.au, we seem to be fielding a very fit side. I think we should win, we should win enough of the footy, if our skills are clean we should win and if they are very clean we may win by plenty but judging from the nab cup they may not be.

This is a massive match, these are one of the teams we will be competing strongly for a place in the top 8.

Our list has come a long way when you look at who was available last year and missed out compared to this year and who we played who had a poor preseason compared with this year. The luxury of playing who ever is fit is a sign things are on the up. I hope we give Walker and Kreuzer a preseason rather than rush them back into footy, get them up to peak fitness and release them then, something we wouldn't have been able to do in the past, something top sides do with guns who are underdone in the past, something we've seen Hawthorn do with Hodge. Get em fit and fresh and release them later in the year for a big impact and finish to the season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love the look of our named squad...
am surprised at casboult out too...but i do get the move, although i wont be shocked if he's a late in thats for sure..
glad vickery isnt in....one of a handful of players that annoy me and some how he finds a gear when he plays us...he's deadset :drunk:
dare i say it but i find the richmond line up a little underwhelming..

Kamdyn Mcintosh
#33 Richmond Tigers
Height: 192cm Weight: 89kg Position: Defender
Last Drafted: Round 2, Pick #31 2012 National Draft
Last Drafted By: Richmond Tigers

Troy Chaplin
#25 Richmond Tigers
Height: 195cm Weight: 97kg Position: Defender
Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #15 2003 National Draft

Chaplin at 195cm has played as CHB for 10 years even though he does like to be the loose man in defence and pointing at those letting the steam down.
Kamdyn plays on the wing btw, he grew 3cm after being drafted which is why he looks like a defender but he will run all day

Loving this team that they picked and not suprised at all regarding casboult. He needs to kick goals and showed no improvement in the nab cup. One option for him I see would be to drop white for this game (not sure he matches up well) move Everitt to hb then sub wood out at 3qtr time for smith. Levi Certainly has the body to match maric who I reckon will maul wood. Just not sure about stamina.

The player who can tear us apart is Martin. If we can restrict him where gonna go very close to winning this one I think. I also think this could be a game where menzel could kick a bag so long as he gets good supply and oppurtunities from jones leaping into packs.
Curnow to cotchin/Ellis?
Carazzo/Everitt to Martin?

So so happy footy is back!

120123_3b06f48b23e56b259af52019195468df.png
If either of the teams ever line up like that during the game then I'll eat my hat!
NB: Membership department has not got back to me on the whereabouts of said hat

Round 1 last year
Curnow
Gibbs
Murphy
Simpson
Thomas
Bell
Yarran
Jamison
Everitt
Touhy
Henderson
Menzel
Ellard - Judd
Walker - Docherty
Kreuzer - Rowe
Watson - Jaksch
Warnock - Wood
Robinson - Carrazzo
Waite - Jones
Mclean - Cripps
Garlett - Smith
McInness - White

Fairly reasonable list of changes. Plenty of the names in round one last season were battling and very underdone. Walker, Kreuzer, Henderson, Thomas and Touhy were the real obvious ones compared with no one being real underdone this time around which is good. Many, if not all, can probably vouch for being in a better position this time around fitness wise.

It does feel a little scary going in without our best mark in Cas and an untried KPP at Carlton at FF, and one that didn't do wonders at the WBs.

I don't know how Jones is going to get a minute of sleep tonight!! ... All the talk when he came across was how he'd fare better without being the number one focus etc. .. Well, right now he is right in the spotlight and unless Cas is a late inclusion will be in front of 80,000+ fans tomorrow night in his first game with his new club! ... Hope he's up to it!

I Agee with the selections of key talls and I think it is probably the safe decision that the MC might go with however I just question whether it is necessary to have all of them on the park when it is highly likely that Malthouse will likely also have a ruck man (likely Wood until Kreuzer is fit) and two utilities who can play tall - White and Everitt. Throw in Cripps who can rest forward and as a tall and I reckon we just might have one too many talls on the park at 10. That's why I would take out Casboult and have Rowe forward especially when teams are not tall up forward.
Alternatively we could leave Rowe down back, tell Wood he has to ruck all day and when he rests on the pine then Cripps rucks as I here he is now 200cm.
Good call...got it spot on. Everett/White/jacksch can all play 3rd tall forward. Cas works on his kicking under less pressure/scrutiny

Round 1 last year
Curnow
Gibbs
Murphy
Simpson
Thomas
Bell
Yarran
Jamison
Everitt
Touhy
Henderson
Menzel
Ellard - Judd
Walker - Docherty
Kreuzer - Rowe
Watson - Jaksch
Warnock - Wood
Robinson - Carrazzo
Waite - Jones
Mclean - Cripps
Garlett - Smith
McInness - White

Fairly reasonable list of changes. Plenty of the names in round one last season were battling and very underdone. Walker, Kreuzer, Henderson, Thomas and Touhy were the real obvious ones compared with no one being real underdone this time around which is good. Many, if not all, can probably vouch for being in a better position this time around fitness wise.

great work...thanks for highlighting the changes in the line up...seriously makes me more confident

Vickery is usually one of their main goal kickers against us, kicked four last year. Thomas, Ellis, Martin, Pettard were all the ones who played well last time. I think the quicker guys got to us at times last year, hope that doesn't remain the same, they will likely be relying on these guys to get them home again.

Carlton squad - Round 1

B: 18. Kristian Jaksch, 40. Michael Jamison, 17. Sam Rowe

HB: 15. Sam Docherty, 42. Zach Tuohy, 43. Simon White

C: 6. Kade Simpson, 5. Chris Judd, 39. Dale Thomas

HF: 3. Marc Murphy (C), 14. Liam Jones, 25. Clem Smith

F: 13. Chris Yarran, 23. Lachie Henderson, 2. Troy Menzel

Followers: 36. Cameron Wood, 4. Bryce Gibbs, 9. Patrick Cripps

Interchange: 28. Tom Bell, 44. Andrew Carrazzo, 35. Ed Curnow, 33. Andrejs Everitt
I really like it. If we took in Casboult, Jaksch, White I think we would be going in too tall. I dont think that Richmond can win it with a tall forward line barring Riewoldt going silly and kicking 10 goals. We have Jamo, Rowe, Jaksch and White back and if we have the talls covered we can roll White forward. Can take off Jaksch at 3/4 time to bring on Smith who I think is certain to start sub being that he won't have the engine at this stage to run out a whole game, but can come on for a quarter and be an absolute headache for the opposition who will be fatigued with his tenacious pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back