Preview Rnd 12 Geelong V Richmond, Sat 1st June 2024, 7:30pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Mr Meow, if the MC has chosen not to play Hardie they must have their reasons. I would hope so anyway. We need to give our current midfield time to turn it around. Extra skills training, conditioning, the coaches will know what to do.

You have to assume that in match sim at training he doesn’t stand up compared to the AFL guys. There is always a big gap between the levels and at times players can look very good against the lower level but aren’t quite at the next level. Fair chance Hardie fits this description.
Granted he hasn’t been given a crack to show it, but the MC must be seeing something at training that we aren’t privy to.

Was noted, for sure. I was tempted to ask just what competition he and his girlfriend were engaging in on that day, actually. But I decided it might not end well if he hadn't ended up in front at the end of their contest.

I'm guessing 'Uno Flip!', for what it's worth, though.
Like Art, me and my rich, beautiful wife were also playing a game (Monopoly) so I was unable to watch the match that's events ran contrary to my stance.

In fact most of Duncan's errant disposals I am pre-occupied by a text to book one of our expensive dinners.

I think this is how it works (and love the way you spun the humble brag, by the way).

I’ve got one seat in the Brownlow stand that I can no longer use for tomorrow’s game, section A36, row AA.

I’m happy to give to away free to another Cats fan, if anyone can make use of it.

Hi mac_cat, if your ticket hasn’t already been snapped up I would love to come down for the game.

Appreciate that I’ve probably left it too late, but I would certainly make up for your absence in pro Geelong noise.

Need for speed: Contested Cat working towards dream AFL debut​

Justine McCullagh-Beasy

Justine McCullagh-Beasy
Sports journalist. Published 31 May 2024, 03:31 PM
882d7644ccebb312e462d20ebc00a527.jpeg
Hampden export George Stevens training at Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium. Brad McGee/Geelong Cats
EMERGING footballer George Stevens isn’t one to sit idle.

The South Warrnambool export – just seven months into his AFL career – is working diligently on enhancing his speed as he works towards a debut in Geelong’s famous blue and white hoops.

Stevens, 19, is averaging 20 disposals a game for the Cats’ in-form VFL side, playing as an inside ball-winner.

He is refining areas of his game which will help him push for a spot at the top level, particularly speed from the contest and finding different levels of acceleration when games open up.

“My strength has always been my football skills – my kicking and hand-balling ability is probably what got me drafted,” Stevens told The Standard.

Watch: GWV Rebels’ Chad Finck, Reggie Mast and Mitch Lloyd after playing in Warrnambool

“As you go up in each level of footy and even watching it, you notice how the pace gets faster and faster.

“With all the resources we have here I am continually trying to work on that and bring it out of my game a bit more.”

Stevens, who featured in South Warrnambool’s 2023 Hampden league premiership just two months before he became a Cat, said it was a challenge which required patience.

“It is very hard. Some people are born with it – we have the likes of Max Holmes, the son of an Olympic champion. You just look and shake your head and think ‘I wish I had that’,” he said.

“You have to do a lot of training, in the gym mainly. It sort of comes from doing a lot of power exercises and also just training your mind a little bit, getting out on the field and practising change of speed.

“You sort of train habits in your mind for in games, not to just cruise at one speed the whole game but back your instincts in, because you’ve trained it a lot, to change your speed.”

Stevens has already noticed improvements on match days and is “trying to use my power and speed to defend and also get hard forward and create attacking opportunities”.

He doesn’t have to look far for advice on how to improve his output.

3d57a2ba0d482e1ed210fe448711d393.jpeg
George Stevens, working hard at AFL training, has averaged 20 disposals across his seven VFL matches for Geelong in 2024. Picture by Brad McGee/Geelong Cats
Three-time Brisbane premiership-winning midfielder Nigel Lappin is on the Geelong coaching staff while captain Paddy Dangerfield is “good at reaching out and checking in on me”.

“He (Lappin) has spent 15-odd years here through a range of different roles but he’s a development coach now and he’s been unbelievable for me,” Stevens said.

“Him and I have a pretty close relationship, we’re pretty honest with each other. He’s got a wealth of knowledge, playing in a pretty successful side for Brisbane through those years and then coming straight to Geelong and being a coach during some pretty successful teams here as well.”

Stevens – coming off a career-high 28-disposal performance against VFL rival GWS Giants – said being a part of the AFL was all he’d hoped for and more.

“You just park your car everyday and there’s the big Cats logo at the stadium. We’re very fortunate our (training) facility is at GMHBA (Stadium),” he said.

“Walking in everyday knowing it’s your job just excites me. It’s funny, I probably love footy more now than I did before I got drafted.

a7e3f0c92ae0730eeaf45e74b96803a4.jpeg
George Stevens, pictured at AFL training, is coming off a 28-disposal game for Geelong’s VFL team. Picture by Brad McGee/Geelong Cats
“I knew it was a professional environment and it’s a business but just how many resources you do have at the footy club (is an eye-opener). There’s a lot of people there to help you, whether it be dietitians or media managers.”

The teenager is living with a host family on a hobby farm in Ceres with Western Australian ruckman Mitch Edwards, who was part of Stevens’ draft class.

Joining a club just two hours from his Warrnambool home has been an added bonus for Stevens.

“The boys stitch me up about getting home a little bit too much,” he joked.

The Emmanuel College graduate said he was grateful he could visit the south-west regularly.

“For me to play some Saturdays and get home after the game and be home for the rest of the weekend (is great),” Stevens said.

“It’s awesome to stay connected to my home club in South Warrnambool. My little brother Jimmy plays and my little sister Matilda is now playing football as well.”

Geelong’s VFL outfit – on a six-game winning streak – plays Richmond at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday, June 1 at 3.30pm. It is a curtain-raiser to the AFL match between the two clubs.

I’ve definitely noticed a huge improvement in George’s leg speed this year. I didn’t want to draft him after watching his games last year, but he’s come a long way. Good on him.

I’ve definitely noticed a huge improvement in George’s leg speed this year. I didn’t want to draft him after watching his games last year, but he’s come a long way. Good on him.
Well looks like there certainly is something to work with.

His media work is first class.

You have to assume that in match sim at training he doesn’t stand up compared to the AFL guys. There is always a big gap between the levels and at times players can look very good against the lower level but aren’t quite at the next level. Fair chance Hardie fits this description.
Granted he hasn’t been given a crack to show it, but the MC must be seeing something at training that we aren’t privy to.
Yes. IN MC WE TRUST.

Well looks like there certainly is something to work with.

His media work is first class.

His leadership is super for his age.

Its just about if he can get his running ability up to the level.

So are they sort of admitting they stuffed up Cam by bringing him straight back into the AFL without any game time?

I mean, if he's injured now and they are going to give him a run in the VFL once fit, then why didn't the same happen a month ago?

Because they stuffed up.

Interesting what a bunch of Essendon players did in the off season.

Like Art, me and my rich, beautiful wife were also playing a game (Monopoly) so I was unable to watch the match that's events ran contrary to my stance.

In fact most of Duncan's errant disposals I am pre-occupied by a text to book one of our expensive dinners.

I think this is how it works (and love the way you spun the humble brag, by the way).
Same here.

I can't catch the game tomorrow, Margot Robbie and I will be partying it up on our yacht in Monaco.

As I'm out of town, if anyone wants to watch the match at my 6th investment property down in Sorrento, feel free to give me a PM.

When you arrive, tell my butler Alfred that Kobe sent you, he'll know what to do.

If you're well behaved, he might let you have a spin in the Bugatti. I can't promise anything there, though.

When you've got as much going on as I do, football just gets in the way, you know what I mean?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to tell from grainy footage but he looks like noticeably lighter

In the VFL last weekend he definitely looked strong but more balanced size wise compared with some footage from last year where he looked that bit too bulked up

Same here.

I can't catch the game tomorrow, Margot Robbie and I will be partying it up on our yacht in Monaco.

As I'm out of town, if anyone wants to watch the match at my 6th investment property down in Sorrento, feel free to give me a PM.

When you arrive, tell my butler Alfred that Kobe sent you, he'll know what to do.

If you're well behaved, he might let you have a spin in the Bugatti. I can't promise anything there, though.

When you've got as much going on as I do, football just gets in the way, you know what I mean?

Don't tell Daz as he'll be jealous

But I'm sure he'd be able to share some great stories

go here

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back