Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Essendon @ MCG Saturday 23rd July 7:10pm - Team post #244

Remove this Banner Ad

will just state the obvious. The only way we can win this game is by capitalizing on our opportunities. I have no doubt that we will win the ball out of the middle, and win more centre clearances etc (Especially with Essendon missing Watson and Hooker), however midfield dominance must be utilized.

By utilized i mean precision kicking. It is essential that our small forwards present, and their targets are hit. None of this 'there is no Waite, we must bomb the Ball on Eddies head, or Thornton's head, or even Kreuzers head'. Lace out targets must be hit.

Additionally, Zaharakis must be contained, as he is a star. Hopefully we can run them off their legs, whilst hitting targets, or we won't win this game.

End stating the obvious.

Precision scrubber kicks inside 50 for Betts/Garlett!

What a joke of a team, Bower injured again , Russell out for 2 weeks with F###kn soreness. Bullshit, Armfield the guy is a nothing player. Tuohy okay, but Davies we are scrapping the barrell. we have no talls and relying on Kreuzer to kick us goals. What about Setanta or even Casboult just to add presence. If Bower is injured again then than thats it for me, keep Watson in the team when you have no one else for god sake.

WE will get 70 more possesions but still LOse the game bc no one will be able to kick goals, and defense will get monstered! Lose this and top four is gone!!!

What a joke of a team, Bower injured again , Russell out for 2 weeks with F###kn soreness. Bullshit, Armfield the guy is a nothing player. Tuohy okay, but Davies we are scrapping the barrell. we have no talls and relying on Kreuzer to kick us goals. What about Setanta or even Casboult just to add presence. If Bower is injured again then than thats it for me, keep Watson in the team when you have no one else for god sake.

WE will get 70 more possesions but still LOse the game bc no one will be able to kick goals, and defense will get monstered! Lose this and top four is gone!!!

that time of the month?

Casboult has barely played all year through injury, ohailpin hasnt played in over 5 weeks and you expect them to get picked?

Jesus Christ mate go jump while you're at! :rolleyes:

Agree 100% with the in's and am stoked Twoms gets another go.

Think he may be the sub.

Also, Armfield >>>>>>> Joseph.

OK, so I'm not too worried anymore about their medium forwards, we included more than enough to cope with them.

They'd be silly to not play Hurley forward. Pears at CHB, Fletcher at FB. Henderson and Bird are our only genuine KPPs, makes me think we'll leave Davies out for Carlos or Aussie to come in, O'hAilpin would allow us to leave Kreuzer up forward much more than usual so you'd think he's more likely.

Tuohy, Henderson, Gibbs
Duigan, Laidler, Yarran
Simpson, Robinson, Scotland
Ellard, Walker, Garlett
Betts, Thornton, Kreuzer
Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Armfield, Davies, Curnow, Twomey - sub possibilities

Does Davies have the tank to tag?

Gibbs will be left to deal with a floating ruck you'd think. Duigan to the rescue!

B: Marcus Davies, Lachlan Henderson, Christopher Yarran
F: Stewart Crameri, David Hille, Leroy Jetta
HB: Zach Tuohy, Jeremy Laidler, Nick Duigan
HF: Alwyn Davey, Michael Hurley, Angus Monfries
C: Heath Scotland, Chris Judd, Dennis Armfield
C: Jake Melksham, Mark McVeigh, David Zaharakis
HF: Bryce Gibbs, Matthew Kreuzer, Jeffrey Garlett
HB: Dyson Heppell, Jake Carlisle, Henry Slattery
F: Andrew Walker, Bret Thornton, Eddie Betts
B: Dustin Fletcher, Tayte Pears, Kyle Hardingham
Foll: Robert Warnock, Mitch Robinson, Marc Murphy
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Ben Howlett, Brent Stanton

I/C: Curnow, Ellard, Simpson

Sub: Twomey

I/C: Dyson, Prismall, Reimers

Sub: Colyer

Shame we didn't pick Lucas to add some height to the backline.

Both teams have been decimated in their weakness by injury. I get the feeling that this game will be as crap as round 3 last year was.

That said our KPP advantage will be rendered useless as we have our 3 best clearance mids our and the 4th one will be playing hurt, if he does play. McVeigh is to the midfield what Thornton is to KPD. Two very unbalanced teams out there.

A Carlton poster already stated above that Carlton will look to emulate what Hawthorn did to us a month ago. I think that is a good call and will annihilate us too. If you move the ball quick enough Betts and Garlett should be able to cut loose.

I also expect more then 60% of the ball to be in Carlton's forward line. We haven't got the strength in the midfield to lock it down and nullify your greater level of talent there.

This could be as ugly as the last game last year.

dont agree fishardansin. this game will be won and lost by the discrepancy in KP's, which you clearly have a massive advantage. Your defence is simply too solid to allow us to threaten and furthermore you have the height to make life extremely uncomfortable for us in your forward half.

Winning the ball in the middle dont mean much if it simply will come straight back out where you still have the foot speed to hurt us.

If anything Ratts is consistent with his selections - consistently poor that is!
Disgracefully unbalanced side and once again playing suicide at the selection table

dont agree fishardansin. this game will be won and lost by the discrepancy in KP's, which you clearly have a massive advantage. Your defence is simply too solid to allow us to threaten and furthermore you have the height to make life extremely uncomfortable for us in your forward half.

Winning the ball in the middle dont mean much if it simply will come straight back out where you still have the foot speed to hurt us.

If anything Ratts is consistent with his selections - consistently poor that is!
Disgracefully unbalanced side and once again playing suicide at the selection table

I agree with you that we've picked a more balanced side but there is just too much talent through the middle of the ground for you mob. I am not all doom and gloom about the future of our midfield. Zaka, Heppell and Melksham will all be fine players, as well as our major priority at the draft for the next few years will be mids and forwards. That doesn't help us this week though. We will have some good mids under 21 and for experience we have McVeigh, Stanton, Prismall and Dyson. There just isn't any class in that. To make matters worse only McVeigh has any claims on being a warrior so your more talented mids will run away with it and your stronger mids will dominate the packs.

I agree with you that our KPPs should be an advantage but we'd have to come close to breaking even in the midfield, well at least have close to 45% of quality inside 50s. I think Carlton will win the clearances and move the ball across the ground better then then Essendon. No team can cope with both of those. 12 goals from your mids and small forwards combined isn't out of the question and then you'd only need 4 more from a combination of Walker, Kruzer and Thornton to kick a winning score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Rnd 18 - Carlton v Essendon @ MCG Saturday 23rd July 7:10pm

Shit - just saw the teams.

Jobe Watson out is a bonus, but we are looking very undersized for this game.

Who's getting the tagging job on Monfries?

Was very good in the midfeild last week.

I can't stand the guy, but Pickers mentioned during AFL Teams on Fox tonight that Bower did his calf doing extra work at PP, after the game on Saturday as he only had a short stint on the ground due to being the sub.

If true, that is one of the unluckiest injuries I've heard of.

WTF - Russell named in Bullants team.

Russell > Armfield

Fully fit and prepared Armfield > Underdone and semi-injured JR.

Seriously, how many times does this have to be explained? JR is in our best 22 comfortably but is on the comeback trail from injury and is not ready for senior footy just yet.

Fully fit and prepared Armfield > Underdone and semi-injured JR.

Seriously, how many times does this have to be explained? JR is in our best 22 comfortably but is on the comeback trail from injury and is not ready for senior footy just yet.

2 weeks out is not a comeback trail.
Based on that logic Waite is no chance to play seniors when he returns (I'd put money on that he comes straight back into the seniors)

Same with Carrots

Re: Rnd 18 - Carlton v Essendon @ MCG Saturday 23rd July 7:10pm

Under our new reverse engineering plan, Henderson :thumbsu:

Monfries wont play as a forward - particularly with his performance last week in the guts, Jobe Watson out, and them likely to have their F50 covered due to us being down a defender or two.

I would have loved JR or Carrots to get the run with role with him.

He was arguably their best mid last week; got lots of it and was very damaging with the footy when he had it in his hands.

They'll only shift him up forward if he is getting owned in the middle; hence why I really wanted JR to run with him and shut him down (JR has the size and engine to run with him all day long, midfield or down back).

He looms as a bit of a danger man in this game for mine.

WTF! stupid ins for all the reasons mentioned above! our listed back six has an average of 17 games each. not liking this, must make our opportunities count. our rucks and mids should dominate though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Essendon @ MCG Saturday 23rd July 7:10pm - Team post #244

Remove this Banner Ad

Back