Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Essendon @ MCG Saturday 23rd July 7:10pm - Team post #244

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn't had any game time in the magoos so would be coming straight back in at AFL level after five weeks. If he plays, it'll show how desperate we are for talls.

Wouldve thought it was already painfully obvious how short on for talls we are.

WCE exposed us badly in that respect, and I expect the Bombers to attempt similar.

Bit annoyed that Carlos isn't in. Surely a hand injury wouldn't of kept him from staying fit enough to play. Not that the MC have many options to chose from but surely one tall to come in should had been on the cards.
I wish now Eagles had asked for Bower instead of Kennedy. At the time I thought Bower was showing a bit more and thought they would had requested him instead of Kennedy in the trade. Anyway if my Nanna had balls she would be my Grampa.

Back to this weekend. Sure hope Ratten has a plan cause from a distance it seems not.

Crameri may play midfield a bit this week, along with Zaharakis and Monfries.
Crameri is the 2nd fittest player on our list, and is as tough as hell.

Crameri may play midfield a bit this week, along with Zaharakis and Monfries.
Crameri is the 2nd fittest player on our list, and is as tough as hell.

If Monfries backs up last week, he's the main one im worried about.

Zahks is too hot and cold for mine.

Why Adelaide let him and Monfries run around unmanned in that second half was a mystery to me.

B: Marcus Davies, Lachlan Henderson, Christopher Yarran
F: Stewart Crameri, David Hille, Leroy Jetta
HB: Zach Tuohy, Jeremy Laidler, Nick Duigan
HF: Alwyn Davey, Michael Hurley, Angus Monfries
C: Heath Scotland, Chris Judd, Dennis Armfield
C: Jake Melksham, Mark McVeigh, David Zaharakis
HF: Bryce Gibbs, Matthew Kreuzer, Jeffrey Garlett
HB: Dyson Heppell, Jake Carlisle, Henry Slattery
F: Andrew Walker, Bret Thornton, Eddie Betts
B: Dustin Fletcher, Tayte Pears, Kyle Hardingham
Foll: Robert Warnock, Mitch Robinson, Marc Murphy
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Ben Howlett, Brent Stanton

I/C: Curnow, Ellard, Simpson

Sub: Twomey

I/C: Dyson, Prismall, Reimers

Sub: Colyer

Shame we didn't pick Lucas to add some height to the backline.
Funny how both sets of supporters can feel the side's so weakened it doesn't stand a chance. Judd/Murphy look a hella lot stronger than our ball winners

Whisper - Howlett had some soreness late last week, and isn't certain, which would be yet another blow to our inside/defensive midfield stocks - likely 1st emergency is Michael Ross (quick evasive wingman) who's had a good month @ Bendigo. Despite that making no sense in terms of balance given who we're missing.

I don't see why everyones being so mellowdramatic about the team listed, there shouldn't be any reason to sook it's the best available at the time. I would be disappointed if Carlos gets a run, his hands are usually what keeps him out of the team and it always takes him a few runs to get some touch back.

It was mentioned on TFS that russel was sent to the GC on a training camp and will be in the ants to find some fitness and form. I'd rather a fit and firing rusty come finals time so no use complaining there.

Angus Morefrees gets a heavy tag and thats that.

I'm astounded by the team selection. We're a very big chance to get exposed by our lack of key position player height. The team selections bewilder me sometimes.

I don't see why everyones being so mellowdramatic about the team listed, there shouldn't be any reason to sook it's the best available at the time.....

This!

People saying Ratts will be on the chopping block etc if we lose is a load of bollocks, do they think him and the MC just pick players randomly or blindly every week? They would have spent all week formulating the matchups and who to bring in and out and the different scenarios that could occur, we don't exactly have dud assistant coaches either they know their stuff. The MC have a plan devised and have picked a side to execute that plan out of the players available.

And for those disappointed Watson was dropped, he is nowhere near up to AFL level at this stage, maybe next year or the year after but at the moment he's not up to it.

Have you ever been positive about our chances?

They have no Watson or Hocking and Howlett is a chance to miss. We will smash their midfield and we want to win this game.

I'm tipping a big win. Blues by 53

Have you ever been positive about our chances?

They have no Watson or Hocking and Howlett is a chance to miss. We will smash their midfield and we want to win this game.

I'm tipping a big win. Blues by 53

Some people on here never learn, yes Blues have superior midfield but Bombers have managed to overcome this over the last 3 years, the Blues structure is awful and if Bombers get their fair share of the ball they will expose the structure will have selected for this game.

l would amazed if O'Alphin did not play, as Bombers can expose us very similar to West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather have Bird up forward and bring Austin in...but doubt that will happen.

I guess we'll see who was right after the game. I didn't feel too comfortable before our r4(??) match but am confident we'll win this one.

Judd, Murphy, Simpson, Scotland, Robinson, Curnow, Ellard, Gibbs, Armfield all give us great run and pressure around the midfield/rest of the ground.

B Dare Watson Russell
HB Lucas Austin Iacobucci
C Thomas McLean O'Keefe
HF Kerr Casboult Bransgrove
F Houlihan O'hAilpin Saad

Check the spine in the Bullants team. Hubba hubba!

See, we do have talls that are fit and available... just not good enough it seems.

This!

People saying Ratts will be on the chopping block etc if we lose is a load of bollocks, do they think him and the MC just pick players randomly or blindly every week? They would have spent all week formulating the matchups and who to bring in and out and the different scenarios that could occur, we don't exactly have dud assistant coaches either they know their stuff. The MC have a plan devised and have picked a side to execute that plan out of the players available.

And for those disappointed Watson was dropped, he is nowhere near up to AFL level at this stage, maybe next year or the year after but at the moment he's not up to it.

Bit tough on Watson here. Two of his three games have been against the best team in the comp by a country mile and then been dropped both times. Surely if he was deemed good enough to play the Pies he deserves at least a chance to show his wares against a lesser team.

Austin was also given just one game and whilst I don't know how good he is, would have thought that it takes more than this to judge, accurately, a players ability.

Our selection policy is starting to look like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Having said that the m/c know more than I so I'm hoping for a game plan that utilises our strengths

Watson played twice against Collingwood because his kicking is a weapon against a press. He played against the GC because they are a high school team and his inexperience wouldn't be a factor.

I understand what the MC are going for. Fleet footed line up to run them off their feet like the Hawks did. But we need a late change.
If their talls get on top of us or we can't find a target inside 50, we're ****ed. And Ratten will have taken a huge step backwards (not to the chopping block though).

Watson played twice against Collingwood because his kicking is a weapon against a press. He played against the GC because they are a high school team and his inexperience wouldn't be a factor.

I understand what the MC are going for. Fleet footed line up to run them off their feet like the Hawks did. But we need a late change.
If their talls get on top of us or we can't find a target inside 50, we're ****ed. And Ratten will have taken a huge step backwards (not to the chopping block though).

If we pick a guy purely because he can kick then that is a flawed strategy IMO against the best. I never expected Watson to play lots of games but I still think that a player should be given more than one game to adapt to the extra speed and pressure of the big league.

It also mystifies me how we can leave Russell in the Ants and go with Armfield who's had more comebacks than Whispering Jack and is found wanting every time.
I think the MC would pick JR as quick as if he was ready to go but it is obvious that he is not.
Hopefully Army returns to his work rate of old

It also mystifies me how we can leave Russell in the Ants and go with Armfield who's had more comebacks than Whispering Jack and is found wanting every time.

Think Armfield is a good player who has been a victim this year to the inclusions of Laidler and Duigan and Yarran going back. I believe his best position is in the backline. However right from the practice games he has been thrown about everywhere. If he was left in the backline I believe he would be a very solid player for us. Also one of his greatest pluses is that he has a genuine desire to play and seems to have great mental consistency which Carlton are still lacking in. Not a star but a good honest footballer which every top side needs.

All those complaining about losing 2 talls for 2 smalls, last week Bower was on the pine for 3qtrs so very little efect and Watson may as well have been a small as he didnt play very tall.

Edit: I just heard a whisper from Nick Maxwell that Setanta will be starting (I hope)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Essendon @ MCG Saturday 23rd July 7:10pm - Team post #244

Remove this Banner Ad

Back