Preview Rnd 22 - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Etihad Friday 19th Aug @ 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers won't beat the Eagles at Subi. They have a poor enough record against them down here let alone up there.

I hope we finish 5th and play them first, it'll be epic at the G :thumbsu:

Re: Carlton vs. Hawthorn @ Etihad. Friday 19th. Aug. @ 7.40 p.m.

if you say so champ, you coming up against the best grunt midfield in the comp and teams have been saying that about our backline all year, when are you going to learn?.

buddy show the respect you would hope to get on your board, people like to talk the talk one the supporter boards. Does not hurt anyone.

lets all hope for a ripper, everyone is sick of the blowouts. 2 genuine high quality teams going hammer and tong a couple of weeks out till the big dance doesnt get any better.

Stuff that, been to long with my team at the bottom. My heart can not take another loss. Not even a close loss, Hawkes have to lose to save my heart do people not understand thid.

FFS SAKE IT IS MY HEART......

GO BLUES.

AND GOOD NIGHT.....

Wookies Carlton v Hawthorn - The Unofficial Preview
(Ive got the St Kilda game lol)

What with there being no preview yet, I figured Id have a crack at it.

blueshawks.png

Date: Friday, 19th August
Time: 7.40pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium
Note: This is a Carlton home game
Tickets: Ticketmaster

TV:
seven.png
- 8.30 Melb, Adelaide, Perth (all delayed)
fox.png
- 7.30 LIVE Fox Main Event Channel - Brisbane, Sydney
Southern Cross (Tasmania) - 7.30pm LIVE

Head to head (Total): Blues 102 - Hawks 55
head to head (last 5 matches: Blues 0, Hawks 5 (HAwthorn going for 8 straight wins over the blues this round)
Head to head (Etihad): Blues 2 - Hawks 4

Form:
Blues: LLWWWW
Hawks: LWWWWW

Last Time We met:
Carlton 8.12.60
Hawthorn 16.14.110

[youtube]UIQG5IQBcqo[/youtube]

Brief Analysis:

This swomewhat annual fixture is yet another of a string of matches that both sides MUST win to keep alive their top 4 chances, Carlton especially, and hunting their 5th win in a row since god only knows when. Hawthorn are coming off an absolute flogging of Port Adelaide, while Carlton are coming off a workman like win over Fremantle.

The Blues have in recent times been unable to keep Franklin and Roughhead quiet, but with Roughhead out, its a little bit easier for the Blues defence will likely fall to Henderson to try to shut Franklin down. He is ably assisted by the Blues defensive units, who may expect their stalwart leader, Michel Jamison, back for this match. Without him, it falls to Thornton (badly beaten almost every time by whatever Hawk he has played on in the past) - who is expected to play despite injuring his cheek, and the twin rocks of defense in Laidler and Duigan, with the possible inclusion of Jordan Russell who was named in the Bullants best this weekend (and likely to replace the out of sorts Davies if Jamison doesnt). The possibility of Chris Yarran playing on Cyril Rioli could be worth the price of a match ticket alone, although Joseph is in good form and may get the nod here.

The respective midfield battles are expected to be awesome. Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Scotland, Simpson, Robinson are all having stellar years. Sportsbet have already declared Judd unbeatable for the Brownlow, while Judd says Murphy is likely to get it. For the Hawks, Mitchell and Lewis are both having great years. I'd expect Gibbs to get the job on Hodge - this ahs the added bonus of adding his skills to the Carlton forward line.

The Blues have one of the fastest moving forward movements in the league, I would argue that its probably the quickest with Betts, Garlett and Walker all looking at kicking 50 goals+ this year, which is something of a rarity. The possible inclusion of Jarad Waite, as well as Kreuzer adds some potential marking power but even without that the Blues lead the league for marks and goals inside 50 in 2011.

The Team Stats

On Stats alone this is going to be a relatively close match scorewise, but Carlton should domiante at the clearances, and with the way that works lately, the hawks may find the Blues forward movements irrepressible. On the other hand, the Blues need to kick straighter.

Disposal: Hawthorn #1 (7594), Carlton #2 (7534)
Contested: Carlton #2 (3009), Hawthorn #9 (2742) - FYI Essendon are #1
Marks: Hawthorn #1 (2053), Carlton #2 (1950)
Hitouts: Carlton #2 (854), Hawthorn #8 (764) - FY WCE are #1, but I was surprised to see us at #2
Clearances: Carlton #1 (821), Hawthorn #8 (715)
Tackles: Carlton #1 (1463), Hawthorn #8 (1291)
Goals: Carlton #3 (303), Hawthorn #3 (303) - FYI Collingwood and Geelong are #1 and #2

Conclusion:

With all the above in mind, Id call this the closest match we'll have seen between the two sides for years, Cartons clearances and forward pressure, against the Hawks forwards, and I predict carlton by 15 pts. (More of they can kick straight)

For those with short memories, and longing for the glories of yester year, this is for you:

[youtube]SuLrfWsPERs[/youtube]

The Hawks game relies largely on pin point disposal. I know we hate Etihad but there is less space to get that disposal right there. It also hampers us because we don't have the wide open space to set our runners loose. It will be interesting to see whose game plan is hampered more.

Aphrodite>The Old Dark Navy :p

Are we still talking usernames? Should I change my name to Zeus?

Head to head (Total): Blues 157 - Hawks 55
head to head (last 5 matches: Blues 0, Hawks 5 (HAwthorn going for 8 straight wins over the blues this round)
Head to head (Etihad): Blues 2 - Hawks 4

We've only played 157 times I believe: 102 to 55 more like it.

A couple of people on the Hawks board have suggested that we should "do a Freo" and send Box Hill to play Carlton this week.

Interesting idea, as Hawthorn looks good things to beat the Dogs & Gold Coast.

Though a 20+ goal loss might bring our % with the Eagles back into play.

A few weeks ago this looked like it was going to be the biggest game of the H&A season.

Pity that it now appears that Hawthorn will finish 3rd regardless and Carlton will finish 5th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was good that sugar had a run with the ants instead of a free trip home to sit on the sideline. It would be a big test to bring him back for such a vital game and I doubt the MC will do this unless forced to.

Jamison and Waite are crucial our weakness is the Backline no doubt against big marking forwards we are vulnerable. I would play Jammo if he is ready 2 games back before finals is better than one.

I still think we will finish 5th it is the performance we put in we have beaten nobody in top four and or above us. This will impact on us mentally if we lose badly, so it is the confidence of the group that is vital before finals.!We need a scalp for sure!

Links to today's match in my sig.

To this match.

IN: Jamison, Russell
OUT: Davies, Thornton (only if his face falls off :S)

We might see a Cyril vs. Yarran match up - is the world ready for it?!?!

I dont think that there is enough electricity on earth to shock the 50K at Etihad back to life if that match up eventuates.
It really could be the start of the modern Jakovich V Carey type rivarly between two of the best young footballers going around.

It will be a cracking game, one of the best of the year I think.:thumbsu:

Excited for this game, should be a ripper. Still annoyed that it's at Etihad, would have loved Yarran running around the huge paddock of the MCG.

Most importantly IMO this is our last chance to take a big scalp before finals. I think most of us have resigned to the fact that we'll finish 5th but taking a top 4 scalp a couple weeks out from the finals will be huge for the players mentality (and also for ours :D)

IN: Jamison, Russell
OUT: Tuohy, Davies (both unlucky)

Russell, Jamison, Joseph
Duigan, Henderson, Laidler
Simpson, Robinson, Scotland
Gibbs, Walker, Thornton
Garlett, Kreuzer, Betts
Warnock, Judd, Murphy

Yarran, Carrazzo, Ellard, Armfield

No idea who'll sub if those changes eventuate.

Jamo to Hale
Henderson with help to Buddy (unless he goes deep, then Jamo)
Joseph to Rioli
Carrazzo to Mitchell
Gibbs to Hodge

Then Ratts goes on to say .............

I'll believe it when I see it.

With 8 Weeks out and finals campaign fast approaching, I think they will take the VFL option meaning 2 VFL & 1 AFL game prior to finals

If he plays this week he cant go back to the VFL for a week can he??

Can someone confirm the rule on this?

Davies has been a rock since coming in. If he got dropped for Russell he would be very unlucky. Russell was shirking contests before his injury and layoff into the two's. Davies has been going in head first.

Leave it imo. Russell should come back at the expense of someone else if he's going to come back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Rnd 22 - Carlton v Hawthorn @ Etihad Friday 19th Aug @ 7.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back