Preview RND 23- Carlton v Geelong Saturday 24th August 4.35PM @ GMHBA - Team Post #242

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a sneaky feeling here we could jag a win. Narrow ground that cats defend well. Need to win the midfield battle to have any chance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kreuz coming off a great game against a good young ruckman in Marshall helps our case I think.

Geelong might be forced to play Blicavs in the ruck to avoid being completely dominated there, that in turn weakens their defence.

I'd be tempted to bring in De Koning (for Kennedy) to try and stretch them down back too.

Having a guess at KPP & general matchups:
Talls: Hawkins - Levi / Ratugolea - Weitering / Henry - Plowman
Smalls: Ablett, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Miers / Thomas, Newman, Simpson, SPS

Centre square: Blicavs, Dangerfield, Kelly, Selfwood - Kruzer, Cripps, Curnow, Murphy
Wings & reserve mids: Duncan, Narkle, Guthrie, Parfitt - Walsh, O'Brien, Setterfield, Dow

Talls: Taylor - McKay, Henderson - De Koning, Stewart - McGovern, Kolodjashnij - Silvagni
Smalls: Tuohy, Bews, O'Connor - Cuningham, Fisher, Deluca

Well first it was he is hopeless, then it was was running patterns, then it was silence when teague put him in a position that he could perform in, now after not kicking 4 goals he is rated below Owies...

22 yr old coming back from poorly managed injury with about 40 interrupted games under his belt - a write off. SOS is a total dope - again..

Been there in this forum before with lots of players...Kennedy's turn now.

You'd swear some people just look at the stat line at the final siren rather than watching the game.
Kennedy one of the guys we needed to lift this year, and lift he did under Teague.
He's best 22. And way ahead of guys like Owies (no offense to the bloke, Kennedy is just better).

Well first it was he is hopeless, then it was was running patterns, then it was silence when teague put him in a position that he could perform in, now after not kicking 4 goals he is rated below Owies...

22 yr old coming back from poorly managed injury with about 40 interrupted games under his belt - a write off. SOS is a total dope - again..

You'd swear some people just look at the stat line at the final siren rather than watching the game.
Kennedy one of the guys we needed to lift this year, and lift he did under Teague.
He's best 22. And way ahead of guys like Owies (no offense to the bloke, Kennedy is just better).

Assuming that Charlie and Cuningham return in 2018, where does Kennedy fit in the best 22? He'd presumably be fighting for the same spot as JSOS and we all know who would get picked on current output.

Assuming that Charlie and Cuningham return in 2018, where does Kennedy fit in the best 22? He'd presumably be fighting for the same spot as JSOS and we all know who would get picked on current output.

No side ever has their best 22 available. There will always be injuries and depth players need to step up. Casboult was not supposed to play much this year, got an opportunity and is now undroppable. But come rnd 1 next year he might not be in the side.

Rnd 1 next year, its who is fit and playing well at the time that gets picked rnd 1. Then its your spot to lose through form.

Charlie and Cuningham are both no brainer preferences to all of Kennedy/Lang/DeLuca/Gibbons/Jack/Dow and Fisher in my book. Both Cuningham and Charlie have factor X - but both have demonstrated physical fragility as far as consistent availability goes.

I think a fit Kennedy is battling it out with Jack/Dow for HFF and midfield rotation roles. I See Lang/DeLuca and Gibbons as handy depth - Lang's case that might be a stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Testament to David Teague and how he has turned this season around, 3 months ago I was dying for this to be over, now I want this season to keep going.

Weitering if fit comes in for Gibbons would be my only change.

Maybe Cunners for Lang

Testament to David Teague and how he has turned this season around, 3 months ago I was dying for this to be over, now I want this season to keep going.

Maybe Cunners for Lang

Cunnerlangus

Selection will be interesting.

Weiters straight back in for sure.
Gibbons possibly missing through injury.

Given Lang was the late in for Weitering, we may just swap the two above players and retain the same structure as we'd initially planned with Casboult either going back forward, or taking Hawkins while Weiters gets Ratugolea. Lang was OK against the Saints, providing some good run and getting into good positions to receive the ball at critical times. Only had 8 touches, but so did Setters. Does playing against his old side work for or against him?

If Lang does come back out of the side as well, I could see Stocker getting another shot in the seniors. Would be a good experience for him to travel to Geelong and face a potential premiership side on their home turf. Would play a similar role to Lang, and should be good for 10+ possies and some solid defensive work. Not sure it's worth risking Cunners in the seniors for the final game, just manage his minutes in the VFL and make sure he hits the preseason at full fitness.

In: Weitering, Cuningham, Stocker
Out: Lang, Fisher, Gibbons

B: Plowman-------------------Casboult------------------Simpson

H: Thomas-------------------Weitering----------------Newman

C: Dow------------------------Cripps--------------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham--------------McGovern-----------------Silvagni

F: Kennedy-------------------McKay---------------------Deluca

Foll: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Murphy

Bench: E.Curnow, Walsh, Stocker, SPS

It's his running ability, and it's always been his running ability. Don't obfuscate.

I don't give a shit that he can take a grab for his size if he's averaging under 2 goals a game and not applying sufficient forward pressure. Even Levi recognised he had to improve his mobility...

No side ever has their best 22 available. There will always be injuries and depth players need to step up. Casboult was not supposed to play much this year, got an opportunity and is now undroppable. But come rnd 1 next year he might not be in the side.

Rnd 1 next year, its who is fit and playing well at the time that gets picked rnd 1. Then its your spot to lose through form.

Brisbane do and have barely had an injury the last few years somehow.

In fact while some have had injury issues throughout the year, the top 4 teams are all relatively healthy right now.

Maybe Cunners for Lang

Can't believe it's already out last game of the year and for another 7 months or so...

Always feel we’re a chance versus this mob.

Will be tough playing on their s**t heap and being the last game of the year. Not sure what mindset the team will have but could be a great contest.

I reckon our guys will give 100%...unlike in previous years, i think they genuinely don't want the season to end. Another good test against one of the best.

If this game was at the G i would say it's a 50/50 game...but down at GMHBA i'd say 80/20 Geelong.

Selection will be interesting.

Weiters straight back in for sure.
Gibbons possibly missing through injury.

Given Lang was the late in for Weitering, we may just swap the two above players and retain the same structure as we'd initially planned with Casboult either going back forward, or taking Hawkins while Weiters gets Ratugolea. Lang was OK against the Saints, providing some good run and getting into good positions to receive the ball at critical times. Only had 8 touches, but so did Setters. Does playing against his old side work for or against him?

If Lang does come back out of the side as well, I could see Stocker getting another shot in the seniors. Would be a good experience for him to travel to Geelong and face a potential premiership side on their home turf. Would play a similar role to Lang, and should be good for 10+ possies and some solid defensive work. Not sure it's worth risking Cunners in the seniors for the final game, just manage his minutes in the VFL and make sure he hits the preseason at full fitness.
Lang was unlucky that MMcG took the advantage on his free at the top of the square. Would have given him 2 goals for the game and made his game look better on paper. The reality was that goal was created by his great tackle on a big body. Thought he had a good game.

It's his running ability, and it's always been his running ability. Don't obfuscate.

I don't give a s**t that he can take a grab for his size if he's averaging under 2 goals a game and not applying sufficient forward pressure. Even Levi recognised he had to improve his mobility...

Well I don't know if his current level of running ability is his limit - I suspect not. I do know that he is a good mark and kick at goal, a strong rather than a weak tackler and is plenty smart enough to give off to advantage around goals....and given current list situation it is understandable why he is one of a few battling it out for increasingly fewer on field options.

If he gets a decent pre-seaon, 2020 will show whether he is a starting player for Carlton or one of those decent depth players - which have precious little of anyway - right now it is speculation given the way he has been managed in 2017/18.

In this game I honestly don't have any strong preferences - except to say that Gibbons hurt his shoulder, DeLuca is a willing trier , lang insists on the 'one touch nonsense and from there it is someone else's problem' that Geelong players seem to be coached to and I haven't seen anything from Garlett or Owies to suggest that they would be better options. I agree that based on current exposed form on field his running is a weakness - especially when it comes to being able to apply repeat [pressure efforts. However - i do back him to kick a goal from 40 meters out and closer- something which too many Carlton players are incapable of as demonstrated week in week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back