Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

You'd think this means either Harry/Charlie go off, or the North players will have to sends extra bodies to them which should free up other easy entries for us.

Tell that to our mids who love bombing it in rather than pinpointing passes.

This is the one of the main areas we could improve as a collective.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we want to make finals we win this and we will. If we want to finish top 4, I think we need to win games like this in a big way. I get the feeling it's going to be really tight. A few of the likely top 4 sides already building percentage. Sydney and GWS already making bank in wins and %. Port, Melb and even Freo building a strong % as well.

Absolutely hanging out to see who comes into the side.

Only beating Richmond by 5 points, I think the coaches will be seeing this as a definite need to improve. They played alright but it's been proven they aren't that flash and I think despite winning our first two games. We can't be happy with just getting over the line, we need to and will want to improve.

I would be selecting the team along the lines of a narrow loss. Our standards are higher and our want to improve is higher than our performances.

Will not be surprised to see a heap of players come back into the side.

Weitering, Marchbank, Walsh, Hollands, Martin, Motlop and Durdin are all big possibilities to come in in the next few weeks.

I think our midfield needs a bit of a boost and Our forwardline needs a really big boost. IMO apart from Harry and Charlie it hasn't looked threatening enough.

Our backline has been good and won us games so far. Can't wait to see it at full strength.

McGovern Weitering Boyd
Saad Marchbank Williams
Newman

This is without doubt our best backline and I can't wait to see it put together. It's been great but has missed that intercept and quick turnover that Marchbank and Weitering offer. I can see this being the week both Marchbank and Weitering return.

Hollands Cripps Acres
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Hewett Hollands

This is probably our best midfield. Hollands as a forward/mid could have a huge impact. Someone needs to take that role and do more than just fill it. Walsh will be a big in for us, but I don't think that happens this week.

Cuningham McKay Cottrell
Motlop Curnow Martin
Owies

This could be our best forward line. Yes there are a few who stake claims here I haven't named. What I want to see is more firepower. More deep forwards who kick goals. Martin could come back in and so could Motlop. The beauty of them is they kick goals, they are genuine forwards threats. This is what they have over some of the names filling in here. Cottrell and Cuningham probably kick enough has forward flankers and do a power of running and defending. Fantasia, Kennedy and Fogarty have been offensively quiet. Kennedy not having a good game defensively against Richmond.

I'd be inclined to give the sub to Carroll. He's been fairly good. Kennedy has played forward with a little mid time and has had little impact. I think Carroll comes on and gives more impact personally and he has good pace and movement around the stoppages.

Would love nothing more than to see a heap of players return, play well, win big and finish the game unscathed.

I doubt we would be happy scraping over the line last week. We were lucky to beat Richmond and lucky they had those in game injuries. We didn't play well and I think we will select as such. We could easily see 4-6 changes pending on fitness.

What we are missing is some run and speed around the middle which Walsh will bring. We are missing those intercepts in defence which Marchbank and Weitering bring, those are things you can score from in modern footy and we are missing forwards who can provide a leading targets. Talls doing their job but the rest are either not proper forwards or they are purely ground level smalls. Martin and Hollands could be the answers there.

This game, if we want the top 4 we put them to the sword and beat them by 30+.

Last edited:

If we want to make finals we win this and we will. If we want to finish top 4, I think we need to win games like this in a big way. I get the feeling it's going to be really tight. A few of the likely top 4 sides already building percentage. Sydney and GWS already making bank in wins and %. Port, Melb and even Freo building a strong % as well.
Good point re: %

With Geelong and Port both looking good, our double ups are all 50/50 or tough games.

GWS
Geelong
Port
Pies

Need to make the most of when we're playing against the expected strugglers. We managed to hold on against the Tiges - need to handle our business with North.

With Geelong and Port both looking good, our double ups are all 50/50 or tough games.

GWS
Geelong
Port
Pies

Need to make the most of when we're playing against the expected strugglers. We managed to hold on against the Tiges - need to handle our business with North.
Why are we worrying about percentage after 2 games? St kilda and Sydney were top of the ladder after 2 games last year with % around 200. How did having that percentage help them in the finals?

Yeah honestly the forward line could be full of Careys and it would struggle with our delivery at times.
Wonder if it's not enough forwards presenting? Out of the 8 or 9 players who go through there, not many of them are particularly good overhead or at getting on the lead.

I would suspect that if Martin was in the side and if Silvagni was also in the side we would have more leading targets in our front half and that would mean we lower the eyes more and hit up targets.

Guys like Fogarty, Durdin and Fantasia are more about getting to the the feet of the big forwards. Kennedy is ok overhead but as a forwards doesn't have the running power to get separation to be a good target going forward. So that's quite a lot of forwards we aren't going to be kicking to.

I think we need to find those strong running, strong overhead leading forwards to compliment our two big guys.

Our long kicking is not always a bad thing, we are doing it because we can and we are dangerous when we can kick long to space or one on ones. We just don't mix it up enough.

I think if we can get Martin back and find another who can lead and mark, maybe Hollands, then things will change.

You can look at it another way, watching Collingwood desperate to pick off leads and hit up maricle passes because they have no decent targets, they spend a lot of time turning the ball over and turning it over with shallow entries. I'm glad that's not us.

GWS
Geelong
Port
Pies

We really do. Percentage has been huge the last few seasons. We could be 5th and not 4th because of it. We need to get a rattle on. Just getting over Richmond instead of getting over them by 25 or 35 points was a disappointment. It's strange to talk about a win like that but we could easily find ourselves looking back at it in that way.

This needs to be a big win and realistically we should be winning this by 45+ if we want to be a flag contender. I know North have the ability to play well and take it up to teams but we really do need to make hay here. Some of our competitors already have as you said and have got out of the blocks well.

It also makes it extremely important that we beat those better teams, especially if our percentage is not going to be that good.

I think we need to fix up a few things about our forward line and having Walsh come back will fix up one thing about our midfield when he finds form.

GWS
Geelong
Port
Pies

8 opportunities to add to the 2 wins so far!

Why are we worrying about percentage after 2 games? St kilda and Sydney were top of the ladder after 2 games last year with % around 200. How did having that percentage help them in the finals?
YOu only need to look at how close the ladder has been the last few seasons to answer that. We missed finals by percentage a few seasons ago then the Bulldogs did the same last season. You would hate to finish 5th and miss the top 4 on percentage. I'm expecting another close season ladder wise. Could be a factor. Can't just rely on points alone in that case.

Few thoughts:
1. We should win well
2. It probably won't matter in the long run if we don't thrash them
3. It's a long year and a lot will happen
4. It would be very, very nice to win by 60+ after our run of close wins.

We really do. Percentage has been huge the last few seasons. We could be 5th and not 4th because of it. We need to get a rattle on. Just getting over Richmond instead of getting over them by 25 or 35 points was a disappointment. It's strange to talk about a win like that but we could easily find ourselves looking back at it in that way.

This needs to be a big win and realistically we should be winning this by 45+ if we want to be a flag contender. I know North have the ability to play well and take it up to teams but we really do need to make hay here. Some of our competitors already have as you said and have got out of the blocks well.

It also makes it extremely important that we beat those better teams, especially if our percentage is not going to be that good.

I think we need to fix up a few things about our forward line and having Walsh come back will fix up one thing about our midfield when he finds form.
Collingwood lost to the worst AFL team of all time (2022 West Coast), then went on to make a prelim, then win a flag in the following 18 months. Stop pushing this "we should win by 45+ if we want to be a flag contender". It's complete nonsense

YOu only need to look at how close the ladder has been the last few seasons to answer that. We missed finals by percentage a few seasons ago then the Bulldogs did the same last season. You would hate to finish 5th and miss the top 4 on percentage. I'm expecting another close season ladder wise. Could be a factor. Can't just rely on points alone in that case.
Winning games is the difference between 5th and 4th. I would rather finish the year 17-6 with a percentage of 115, than have a 14-9 record, but a percentage of 130

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood lost to the worst AFL team of all time (2022 West Coast), then went on to make a prelim, then win a flag in the following 18 months. Stop pushing this "we should win by 45+ if we want to be a flag contender". It's complete nonsense
Collingwood also had some record low percentage for a premiers or something like that. That sort of thing can happen but is not overly common. You don't want to rely on the unusual. It's best to have a strong position on the ladder and finish the season in really good shape.

Collingwood also had some record low percentage for a premiers or something like that. That sort of thing can happen but is not overly common. You don't want to rely on the unusual. It's best to have a strong position on the ladder and finish the season in really good shape.
Key word there "finish". The season doesn't finish in round 3

I don't really care if it's their grand final. It's not ours.

How many blockbusters / finals / two-big-clubs games did we play in last year? Half a dozen at least. This game would have been right down the bottom of that list, if it made the list at all.

Just another day at the office for us. Get the job done, enjoy the weekend.

Go Blues.

Tell that to our mids who love bombing it in rather than pinpointing passes.

This is the one of the main areas we could improve as a collective.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think part of that in the past has been almost a result of the gameplan - being so focussed on contested possession and clearance as oppose to run, carry and spread. This season we seem to have shifted our ball movement a bit and are trying to be faster with forward handballs and sun.

With that you'd think would come more accessible kicks inside 50 on the run outside of contest instead of clearing kicks from contest inside 50.

In theory, anyway, you'd think that should come. So far this season it has been better imo without being excellent. I do think we lack natural forwards inside 50 which doesn't help - Fogarty & Kennedy for example aren't natural forwards but have been crafted into there as role players.

% matters when you're vying for positions. We are looking to push into the top 4 and often that can come down to %. We need only look two seasons back ourselves to see how much as little as .6% can make.

Having said that I don't like having the conversation before games. I feel like anytime we start talking about games as % builders bad things tend to happen.

If we are relying on percentage to make finals, then we'll only be making up the numbers and will make a quick exit.

We have the list(just like we did last season) to go deep into finals, no excuses.
It’s more about trying to penetrate as high as possible into top 8 and % can make a bit of a difference…particular for top 4 spots.

Obviously the strategy for clubs in the flag window is to win as many games as possible and also to give bottom 4 teams a shellacking.

It’s more about trying to penetrate as high as possible into top 8 and % can make a bit of a difference…particular for top 4 spots.

Obviously the strategy for clubs in the flag window is to win as many games as possible and also to give bottom 4 teams a shellacking.
The strategy of a club in our position is to build continuity between players and within the added layers of an evolving game plan to win games, lock in a top 4 spot and start finals

Percentage wouldn't even be a consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back