Preview 2024 Rd 4 (Gather Round) Carlton vs Fremantle Saturday April 6 - 4.20PM (AEDT) @ Adelaide Oval - Team stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN: Brodie Kemp
OUT: Caleb Marchbank (concussion)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Zac WilliamsMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Orazio FantasiaHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Corey DurdinMatthew OwiesMatthew Cottrell
Jordan BoydJack Carroll
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLachlan Cowan

I would have Kemp & Marchbank near the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of kicking skills
Which one do you consider to be good?

Kemp is an o.k. kick of the ball. Can kick it a reasonable distance, but kicks it quite high and it takes a fair while to get there (unlike McGovern for example). Currently not a real good decision maker - I still have nightmares about his blast at goal late in the Melbourne semi but there is plenty of time to work on that.

Just gone through and watched Freo's 1st half vs the Crows again. Pretty confident we get the job done without too much fuss, both teams looked pretty ordinary and really Freo was just a bit cleaner but still rather weak in the contest like last year imo.

Owies isn't sexy but 3 goals last week no chance he is sub
Role players.
Fog and Owies are the epitome of this. As are Boyd and Cottrell. They might have games where they look quiet, but you know they're doing their role, whatever that might be.

I think Marchbank is consistently a better kick, i.e. fewer clangers.

Still, I’d have Kemp in the side any day.

I prefer Kemp's pace and attacking flair over Marchy.

However Marchy is more composed with the defensive side of the game (when he's not rusty) but I'm hopeful with more season's under his belt that Kemp improves this area of his game.

Marchy is 27 to Kemp's 22 so that natural progression you should get with age should come.

All information obtained from official club websites.*

By Games

View attachment 1949880

By Age

View attachment 1949956

By Height

View attachment 1949895

*This is a personal post. Any views and opinions in this post are personal and belong only to the post owner. They do not represent opinions of people, institutions or organisations that the post owner may or may not be associated with in a professional or personal capacity unless explicitly stated. Any similarity with other posts, either living or dead, are coincidental. All available content in this post is only for informational purposes. The owner of this post does not make representations as to the authenticity or fullness of any information. The post owner will not be responsible for any errors or omissions in this information. The post owner will not be accountable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the exposure to, or usage of this information. Headaches, heart failure, blood clots, anal leakage, or aches and pains, are not known side effects of this information. However, if any medical condition presents, persons should consult a medical professional.
So evenly matched.
Freo have a couple of more vets with an extra 1-2 years games under their belts, but we have a few more in that middle 100 game bracket.

They're averaging around 30 more disposals a game than us, but it's all handballs. We average the same amount of kicks.
They're more efficient inside 50, but we get 10 more entries a game.
Hitouts even. Clearances even (we get more in the centre).

Which one do you consider to be good?

Kemp is an o.k. kick of the ball. Can kick it a reasonable distance, but kicks it quite high and it takes a fair while to get there (unlike McGovern for example). Currently not a real good decision maker - I still have nightmares about his blast at goal late in the Melbourne semi but there is plenty of time to work on that.
I see Kemp as somewhat like Docherty when he arrived here - a sound kick but prone to errors because they're not used to the speed of the game. Whereas I see Marchbank's errors as more about poor skill execution

Amiss 7
Treacy 4
Taberner 4
Walters 4
Jackson 4

Over three games 1.5 goals per game, EACH. Not exactly the big scary forward line.
Just means there's more players to worry about who can hit the scoreboard.
Compare that to us:
Harry 11
Charlie 10
Owies 5
Carroll 2
Cerra 2
Cottrell, Cripps, Durdin, Kennedy - 2 each

Not an easy task, but if teams manage to contain Harry and Charlie (or even one of), then we'll struggle to put up a winning score unless we find more avenues to goal.

David King also tipped Voss to turn things around when we were fourth last (or whatever it was) last season when no one else did

David King: “I think the biggest statement that will be made this weekend is Carlton, I think Carlton are going to flex against the Dockers & a flex doesn't necessarily mean by 30 goals it's just being true to themselves.

They're a different team, I put some numbers up the other day.. they've got the assets to mix it [with the best teams], they're not winning on clearance anymore they're winning on ball movement, that's a much better profile than they've ever had.

I think Carlton have got assets we're not talking about, they've got four half back flankers who can kick the lights out of the thing it's amazing.”

[SEN Breakfast]

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm definitely a Carlton asset. How about you?
The players aren't half bad either.🤔

Freo have played Brissy, Nth and crows, 2 at home and Nth away not much to be taken from that form line.

Yes we have played both Brissy and Nth too but at the Gabba is much more of a challenge and Brissy played their best footy of the year in the first half against us.

Nth challenged Freo much more than us but was a Vic game so probably still a good win for them but we were never troubled in that game completely shutting out Nths “norfball” TM something that Freo didn’t do.

We have seen the crows form this year it is putrid so an easy win for Freo there.

Richmond are much harder team to play against but they had some terrible in game injuries but that can often galvanise a team too.

So overall tldr, we are better and going to beat em!!!!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Except Crows wasn't an easy win for them. It was close for most of the game and Crows were terrible.
It was 5 goals to 4 at 3/4 time. They banged on another 4 in the last 15 or so minutes of the game to make the margin look a bit more respectable.
I think Freo are better than what that game showed, but for 3 quarters of it, they weren't much better than the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp and Marchbank are both very good players. We are doing well regardless of which player plays in our side. It's evident that the coaching group have Marchbank pencilled into our best side at CHB. I tend to agree with the coaches, I think he is the best option on out list for that position. He's the prototype modern day CHB. Quick, good two way run, attacking, reads the game well and intercept marks well but also defends well against both tall and medium sized opposition. Even Brendon Bolton was open about having Marchbank pencilled in as our future CHB all the way back then. Marchbank finished last season playing CHB at a high level and it appears a lot of posters on here have forgotten that. Kemp finished the season playing back pocket and played a lot of really good games but ended up pushed out of the side.

Going by how they play, I would have Kemp rated at the taller end of the medium defender scale with the ability to pinch hit as a key defender at times and Marchbank at the shorter end of the key defender scale able to consistently play the role on either tall or medium forwards.

Kemp in my opinion will be someone who will be looking to push someone like Newman or McGovern out in the coming seasons. That or he finds another position. He is to good to remain in the VFL. Other sides will come head hunting him if that remains the case. Problem is our backline is stacked with talent and with the best team available he's just on the fringes there.

I don't know that Kemp has it as an onballer. As a winger I love the idea of him dropping back as the lose man in defence and being a taller marking option around the ground to go to as well as having good pace. As a forward I like the idea of a quicker mobile marking option who is handy enough at ground level pushing up around the half forward area and resting as a leading option out of the goal square.

David King also tipped Voss to turn things around when we were fourth last (or whatever it was) last season when no one else did

David King: “I think the biggest statement that will be made this weekend is Carlton, I think Carlton are going to flex against the Dockers & a flex doesn't necessarily mean by 30 goals it's just being true to themselves.

They're a different team, I put some numbers up the other day.. they've got the assets to mix it [with the best teams], they're not winning on clearance anymore they're winning on ball movement, that's a much better profile than they've ever had.

I think Carlton have got assets we're not talking about, they've got four half back flankers who can kick the lights out of the thing it's amazing.”

[SEN Breakfast]

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He also pushed for Voss to be replaced a week or two before that. He flip flops as much as all of them. Who cares.

Charlie kicked 2 on him last year. TBF was a 9 goal loss for you so 2 is a great job.

Charlie kicked 2 on him in 2022. Better performance in comparison by Charlie that game in a 6 goal loss.

So pencil him in for two on Saturday.

Always a question mark how much McKay will get and his overall performance isn't necessarily dictated by how heavily he hits the scoreboard in his dual role. If he can hold his own when he lets TDK rest against Jackson and is a presence when forward it won't always matter how many he kicks.
Who’d Harry kick 7 on a few years ago?

I think Marchbank is consistently a better kick, i.e. fewer clangers.

Still, I’d have Kemp in the side any day.
Young makes very few clangers, but I don't consider him a good kick. He is slow moving and slow with the ball.

Kemp does make mistakes but his kicking is zone busting at times and certainly a lot more damaging than Marchbank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back