Autopsy Rnd 3, Hawthorn vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't really get it.

Was it because Roughy only had eyes for the ball but Lynchc started the push and shove?
I did notice that we got a lot of value from Roughy doing this (free kicks aside), where Hale and Bailey tried to contest physically with Lynch and Hudson.
Replay was from front on and didn't do it justice. From where I was sitting it was soft, but it was there.

The free against Lynch in Hawthron's forward 50 from which Roughy kicked a goal was very soft (technical) I have to admit.

MinerBoy and myself were having apoplexy in the game day thread when Daisy was tackled, held onto the ball for an age, then did a 360 before handballing over his head resulting in a Cloke goal. Was a blatant missed holding the ball decision.

I think this is how they decide ruck infringements

1 Every so often, just pay one. Say one in 10
2 Give the free to Dean Cox
3 If Dean Cox is not present then give it to the player who gets out-positioned
4 If both rucks are fairly even in the contest, give it to the player with the least offensive facial hair
5 If both player's facial hair are evenly crude or acceptable then the free kick is decided through a game of rock, paper, scissors, with the best out of three rounds earning the free kick.

I'm not 100% sure about the rate but I'm fairly confident about the rest

MinerBoy and myself were having apoplexy in the game day thread when Daisy was tackled, held onto the ball for an age, then did a 360 before handballing over his head resulting in a Cloke goal. Was a blatant missed holding the ball decision.
Buddy was also allowed to do the same thing Griz, they let the player with the ball have plenty of time to dispose. The Pies were under a lot of pressure and probably got the benefit, but it wasn't exclusive.

The free against Lynch in Hawthron's forward 50 from which Roughy kicked a goal was very soft (technical) I have to admit.
Yeah it was technical and soft but Lynch had been pushing Roughy from behind at pretty much every ruck contest and it was inevitable that the ump would pay one eventually. Just bad luck it was in front of goals.

That Rough decision was actually similar to the one paid against him in the '08 GF. It was in a marking contest, not ruck, but he pushed Scarlett in the side and front and was running on to an almost certain goal when he got pinged for 'in the back'! Remember that?

That Rough decision was actually similar to the one paid against him in the '08 GF. It was in a marking contest, not ruck, but he pushed Scarlett in the side and front and was running on to an almost certain goal when he got pinged for 'in the back'! Remember that?
I screamed bloody murder at that one ;)

I think she would have had a case in the last quarter in Round 1 v Cats. I just said to my boy as Bruesty kicked that point that we still have 2-3 minutes and then the friggen siren went at 26:something.

I had exactly the same thing happen with me & my 7-yr old son - he gets pretty upset when we lose, so I thought I still had a minute or 2 to prepare him for the possible loss. When the siren went he just burst into tears. Makes me hate Geelong all the more - bastards making my kid cry! :(

I had exactly the same thing happen with me & my 7-yr old son - he gets pretty upset when we lose, so I thought I still had a minute or 2 to prepare him for the possible loss. When the siren went he just burst into tears. Makes me hate Geelong all the more - bastards making my kid cry! :(

Totally understand - my 7 year old daughter was in tears as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That can't be right, Grizz, I read the game day thread, and they were adamant to a man that all Hawthorn's frees were soft, that all our handballs were throws, that Collingwood players were repeatedly pinged for nothing.

So you must be mistaken...

Replay was from front on and didn't do it justice. From where I was sitting it was soft, but it was there.
Agree with you nick. From the camera angle, you couldn't see where Lynch's left arm was. It must have been in Rough's back, thus the free. I never take much notice of what the commentators say as they have favourite teams as well as favourite players.

Agree with you nick. From the camera angle, you couldn't see where Lynch's left arm was. It must have been in Rough's back, thus the free. I never take much notice of what the commentators say as they have favourite teams as well as favourite players.

Pushed him out of the contest with his arms

Rough.gif

Totally understand - my 7 year old daughter was in tears as well!

How about when the kids get their faces painted?

After last years GF all my boys facepaint had been smudged clean due to tears. All you can do is say it's ok mate -- which it is - 'tis just a game afterall.

My favourite part is at 9:30. The bump by Anderson on Pendles, leading to a goal on the siren by Breust. We even get to see Eddie's fat face as it happens, so we know he wasn't happy :D

5jwb5

I like how there is a woman barracking for Hawthorn sitting next to Pert and right in front of a red faced Eddie.

Was a great bit of play by Anderson.

With that ruck contest -- the AFL have made it clear they want the ball to be the objective -- the ruckmen cannot push, block, bump, hold in a ruck contest other wise they will be deemed to have infringed. So it doesn't matter where you push in the ruck -- side or back or front -- it is a free kick.

5jwb5

I like how there is a woman barracking for Hawthorn sitting next to Pert and right in front of a red faced Eddie.

Was a great bit of play by Anderson.

With that ruck contest -- the AFL have made it clear they want the ball to be the objective -- the ruckmen cannot push, block, bump, hold in a ruck contest other wise they will be deemed to have infringed. So it doesn't matter where you push in the ruck -- side or back or front -- it is a free kick.

Funny, I was watching the replay & almost posted the same bit of the telecast. Awesome to see!

Is that the 1-metre Rule you're talking about? I thought there was supposed to be no contact at all until the ball is thrown up/ in/?

Is that the 1-metre Rule you're talking about? I thought there was supposed to be no contact at all until the ball is thrown up/ in/?

Discussion stems from the Lynch free kick against Roughy that had the collingwood fans booing (just for something different) -- Lynch fails to make the ball his objective by putting his hands in the side of Rough and pushing him out of the ruck contest -- it doesn't matter if the push it is not in the back -- you cannot push an opponent in a ruck contest.

Don't think the meter rule is relevent in throw ins -- once the ball is thrown in the ruckmen cannot push, block, bump or hold his opponent out of a ruck contest he must go for the ball.

Discussion stems from the Lynch free kick against Roughy that had the collingwood fans booing (just for something different) -- Lynch fails to make the ball his objective by putting his hands in the side of Rough and pushing him out of the ruck contest -- it doesn't matter if the push it is not in the back -- you cannot push an opponent in a ruck contest.

Don't think the meter rule is relevent in throw ins -- once the ball is thrown in the ruckmen cannot push, block, bump or hold his opponent out of a ruck contest he must go for the ball.

Aah, no probs. thought that was the one. Was a free as he did push Rough in the side. Commentators on tv didn't seem to know the rules, just the easy out for them - "soft, ruck rules are just so hard to judge You may as well toss a coin", etc.

You can sometimes hear the ump yell out "1 metre, Max!" Or whoever it's directed at...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 3, Hawthorn vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back