Road to the Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Good point, you may be right. Time for 1 year deals for Sidey I think. His best is still outstanding but we need him to deliver it alot more next year. For most of this season he had been just floating around a little too much.
agree, Howe, sidey, Pendles, Cox, Elliott should only be 1 year at a time deals.

Oh dear, let’s take the dogs for example. JUH, Norton and Darcy any of whom can kick multiple goals each week.
Pies: McStay 1-2 a game Checkers 1 maybe a game and the second ruck along with a raft of smalls. Dans a nice player but hardly a “Key” forward. Not the player the opposition are going to worry about kicking 4-5 goals.
Even the King bros are better, as much as their kicking is pretty ordinary, they are a target, like Hogan, McKay, Joe, Hawkins, Cameron, Curnow need I continue.

(1) KPF’s are very speculative. In the last 10 years OTTOMH we’ve had: Mihocek, McStay, Gault, White, McLarty, McMahon, Krueger, Kelly, Johnson. Yeah, we might do what we normally do and draft a speculative KPF at pick 32 or whatever our first pick ends up being - but they certainly won’t contribute anything in the short term (no KPF does) and they’ll usually take a long time to develop …

… If we’re lucky (as we were with Mihocek).

Both Gault and Kelly were on our list for 5 years and contributed stuff all games / goals in that time.

(2) Proven KPF’s who are going to worry the opposition about “kicking 4-5 goals” don’t come cheap. Would you trade Nick Daicos for Sam Darcy or JUH? Neither would I.

Last edited:
(1) KPF’s are very speculative. In the last 10 years OTTOMH we’ve had: Mihocek, McStay, Gault, White, McLarty, McMahon, Krueger, Kelly, Johnson. Yeah, we might do what we normally do and draft a speculative KPF at pick 32 or whatever our first pick ends up being - but they certainly won’t contribute anything in the short term (no KPF does) and they’ll usually take a long time to develop. If we’re lucky (as we were with Mihocek). Both Gault and Kelly were on our list for 5 years and contributed stuff all games / goals in that time.

(2 Proven KPF’s who are going to worry the opposition about “kicking 4-5 goals” don’t come cheap. Would you trade Nick Daicos for Sam Darcy / JUH? Neither would I.
I love you 76 but OTTOMH?
Give yourself an uppercut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fly was right to say that we needed 14 wins to qualify.

I remember him mentioning it in the post-match presser in Gather Round. A lot of us assumed that 12 or 13 wins would suffice.
Two games we choked up winning leads. The Fremantle and Sydney games. We should have walked away with the 4 points from both games....oh well, onwards and upwards!!

The boys gave us our finals win yesterday and in doing so have all but consigned Brisbane to finishing outside the top 4 and needing to win at least 2 finals away from the Gabba to just make the GF.

Most likely we ended their Premiership dream once again.

I can live with that.

If Carlton happen to fall against the Saints and the Dockers claim victory then our 2 victories against the Blues will have proved the difference between them making finals and not.

We can all rejoice in that.

Win next week and we miss the finals 12-2-9, which is more or less 13 wins. Don't think many teams would've missed finals with 13 wins throughout history.
Wasn't this season one round longer than most previously, because of Gather Round? In which case the usual finals qualification benchmark of 13 wins probably becomes 14 this year?

Win next week and we miss the finals 12-2-9, which is more or less 13 wins. Don't think many teams would've missed finals with 13 wins throughout history.
All the times a team has won 13 or more games, but hasn't qualified for finals.

Essendon (1963) = 13 wins, 5 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1964) = 13 wins, 5 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Richmond (1966) = 13 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Richmond (1968) = 14 wins, 6 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1969) = 13 wins, 7 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Carlton (1971) = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1972) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Carlton (1977) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
South Melbourne (1980) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Hawthorn (1981) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Richmond (1981) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 7th) - Final 5 system
Carlton (1992) = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 7th) - Final 6 system
Essendon (2013)** = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 9th) - Final 8 system - KICKED OUT OF THE FINALS

Apart from Essendon due to extenuating circumstances, it's never happened in the final 8 era.

The road to finals is now closed and under redevelopment in preparation for 2025....

Road Trip Wayward Guide GIF by Tin Can Bros

Things I won’t miss:

The endless videos, docos, inner sanction specials, and feature film of our ‘23 GF success. We kind of wallowed in it a bit. An off-season where we don’t see that much of anyone would be refreshing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Road to the Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back