Robbo's top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao @ “most on here”. I’m defending him because I know he’s a good player. 28th in the Brownlow as well, where he beat both Adams and Treloar. Umpires rate him too. It seems everyone whose opinion matters rates him (coaches, AA selectors, umpires, Richmond Football Club, the media, etc.), so I’ll back them in over a couple of BigFooty nuffys.

Not sure what your last point is lol. Our midfield has won a premiership. Has yours?
First of all, your midfield had a premiership fall into their lap because the best team in the comp choked. Said midfield then got exposed.

Secondly, he made the AA Squad, not the AA Team. No one cares about the squad, so there's one L.

Thirdly, on the Brownlow:
Lambert - 27 years old - 14 career Brownlow Votes - 0.21 Votes Per Game
Treloar - 26 years old - 52 career Brownlow Votes - 0.39 Votes Per Game
Adams - 25 years old - 33 career Brownlow Votes - 0.28 per game

So there's another L.

Do we need to keep doing this? It's getting sad.

I'm from WA and watch a ton of live WCE games. Yeo is very good, but not top 20 good, at least in my opinion. He maybe does go under the radar a bit in Vic media, but I feel like he's overrated here

I reckon Yeo is close, easily our most damaging midfielder.

Sheed is currently the most overrated because he had a good finals series then kicked that goal.

First of all, your midfield had a premiership fall into their lap because the best team in the comp choked. Said midfield then got exposed.

Secondly, he made the AA Squad, not the AA Team. No one cares about the squad, so there's one L.

Thirdly, on the Brownlow:
Lambert - 27 years old - 14 career Brownlow Votes - 0.21 Votes Per Game
Treloar - 26 years old - 52 career Brownlow Votes - 0.39 Votes Per Game
Adams - 25 years old - 33 career Brownlow Votes - 0.28 per game

So there's another L.

Do we need to keep doing this? It's getting sad.
If that post was meant to convince me that Treloar and Adams are better than Lambert then it failed miserably. Like I said, anyone who matters has Lambert ahead at this stage:

Umpires - Lambert wins
AA selectors - Lambert wins
Coaches - Lambert wins
Media - Lambert wins
B&F results - Lambert wins
Premierships - Lambert wins

Crying about Lambert making this list won’t make Treloar and Adams better players. People who know a lot more about football than you and I have Lambert ahead. You’ve got some BigFooty nuffys having your back though so I guess you can take solace in that.

If that post was meant to convince me that Treloar and Adams are better than Lambert then it failed miserably. Like I said, anyone who matters has Lambert ahead at this stage:

Umpires - Lambert wins
AA selectors - Lambert wins
Coaches - Lambert wins
Media - Lambert wins
B&F results - Lambert wins
Premierships - Lambert wins

Crying about Lambert making this list won’t make Treloar and Adams better players. People who know a lot more about football than you and I have Lambert ahead. You’ve got some BigFooty nuffys having your back though so I guess you can take solace in that.
Oh my god give me a spell that is such a ridiculous way to compare players.

Brownlow votes is largely dependent on who else you have that can steal votes from you in the ame team.

AA they aren't competing for the same spot and Treloar would have been a massive chance to be AA if he played the entire home and away season

Coaches, media B&F are the same in that is depends on who else you have to steal votes off you, it is not a fair comparison to make and in no way is good way of deciding who is a better player.

Premierships... Not even going to bother with that one.

If Kane Lambert is top 50 then so is Chris Mayne
Except he isn’t lol.

Lambert made it. Treloar and Adams didn’t. If you didn’t care about Robbo’s list you wouldn’t be in here paying attention to it.

Definetly Robbos opinion.I think its good that Vardy who would not even have played for the Eagles if Naitanui was fit absolutely nullified numbers eight and ten on Robbos list (Gawn and Grundy).Pantsed them boned them and owned them in consecutive games in big finals on consecutove weekends.Good effort by Vardy.

In case anyone is interested in the actual list:

1. Fyfe
2. Martin
3. Dangerfield
4. Cripps
5. Franklin
6. Gawn
7. Kennedy (WCE)
8. Grundy
9. Kelly
10. Oliver
11. McGovern
12. Sidebottom
13. Riewoldt
14. Yeo
15. Whitfield
16. Bontempelli
17. Sloane
18. Grey
19. Rance
20. Coniglio
21. Beams
22. Greene
23. De Goey
24. Davis
25. Laird
26. Cotchin
27. Sicily
28. Gaff
29. Zorko
30. Brown
31. Darling
32. Hawkins
33. Higgins
34. Andrews
35. Macrae
36. Pendlebury
37. Devon Smith
38. Selwood
39. Hurn
40. Viney
41. Heppell
42. Ward
43. Brayshaw
44. Curnow
45. Parker
46. McDonald
47. Lloyd
48. Gunston
49. Lambert
50. Daniher
would bet my left nut that Beams as still a Lion he would be at like 40+

The old hun newspaper with Robbo's list. It would not be modern journalism if not controversial,. The hun is about jiggered and they know it. Even the afl season will not save the hun from the downhill spiral it is on.
they write all this taurus excreta and expect us numpties to show their journo's respect. Oh dear I would not even buy it for the crossword

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by those B&F stats you posted, it appears as though Taylor Walker's ceiling is 5th best player at Adelaide.
(5th in B&F in 2012, 2015, 2016, 2016, injured: 2013-14, 2018)

There are 18 clubs. 18 multiplied by 5 equals 90. That would make Tex a candidate for the AFL's Top 100 players. Not the Top 50.

Even if we get on board with the Crows in 2019 and say they're a Top 4 club (12th in 2018), their 5th best player would still only be on the cusp of Top 50, at best... Hardly controversial to leave him out. From the looks of Robbo's 'honourable mentions/stiff to miss" list, he rated Walker at no.63

Robbo named 11 key forwards in his Top 50: L.Franklin, J.Kennedy, J.Riewoldt, M.Bontempelli, J.DeGoey, B.Brown, Darling, T.Hawkins, C.Curnow, T.McDonald and J.Daniher, plus Jack Gunston who is really a mobile 193cm flanker. (Bont, De Goey and Curnow are versatile types who can play up the ground, maybe not true KPFs, but that's where they've been played)

KPFs not listed in Robbo's Top 50: Tom Lynch, Jesse Hogan, Jeremy Cameron, Taylor Walker. Not sure I'd rate Tex as categorically better than them. You say he battled with injury niggles last year. I think it has hurt his reputation. He just struggled to take marks. Had the dropsies. He's never really been a great mark, even when he dominated games in 2012, or when he led to them to the 2017 GF.

I'm not sure either whether Key Forwards are as valuable in the modern game as they once were. I think quality small forwards who can turn a match are just as valuable in the modern game as the tall marking forward, maybe more so if you factor in their creativity, defensive pressure and tackling.

Robbo has named just two small half forwards in his Top 50 (Toby Greene and Robbie Gray) and no true small forwards. Seems a bit light on. He couldn't find a spot for Breust, Betts, Wingard, Edwards, Caddy, Hoskin-Elliott, Thomas, Rioli, Melksham, Walters, Fantasia, Papley... They're not all Top 50 worthy, but they don't get enough credit, IMO

What about the young gun forwards such Rayner, Stephenson or Petracca? All of them ooze talent. Maybe or maybe not this year, but it's only a matter of 'when' and they'll be comfortably Top 50

Robbo's most egregious omission from Adelaide's list was Matt Crouch. All Australian in 2017 (and rated Top 20/Top 30 by Robbo this time last year). What did he do do deserve being snubbed this year? Maybe not quite as good as he was 2017, but he was still runner up in the 2018 B&F
In what world is Bontempelli classified as a key forward?

Cmon now fadge, I never said that.

Dusty 1
Rance 4-5
Jack top 10
Cotch top 20 and best skipper
Lynch is a wait and see but has the potential to be top 10.
Scary isn’t it?
If Rance is number 4 or 5, Mason Cox should be top 3 given the way he has embarrassed him in the past.

Who drops out of the top 5 for Rance?

Obviously not Martin, so then you're left with Fyfe, Danger, Cripps and Franklin.

Surely you're having a laugh...

It's funny, I worked with a guy who came from Kalgoorlie and said the same thing. He was the best 15 year old player anyone had ever seen. All signs put to good things.
Up there as possibly the best player to ever come out of Kalgoorlie (Dean Kemp and Eddie Betts his major competition). Easily better than everyone a year older than him, from about 11 onwards. Freakishly good

In what world is Bontempelli classified as a key forward?
In the real world, mate. The one where the Bulldogs were caught short up forward with Stringer traded, Jack Redpath injured and neither Boyd nor Schache stepping up. They were forced to use Bont at CHF and full forward. Bont was named in a key forward post in 13 of his 19 matches and split his time between there and stints in the midfield.

Do you watch any games besides Essendon?

2018/ Bontempelli
R01 - GWS - Ruck rover
R02 - WCE - Full forward
R03 - Ess - CHF
R04 - Syd - CHF
R05 - Freo - CHF
R06 - Carl - CHF
R07 - G.C. - out injured
R08 - Bris - CHF
R09 - Adel - Centre
R10 - Coll - Centre
R11 - Melb - Full forward
R12 - bye
R13 - Port - Full forward
R14 - N.M - Centre
R15 - Geel - Centre
R16 - Haw - Centre
R17 - Melb - out injured
R18 - WCE - out injured
R19 - Port - Full forward
R20 - St K - Full forward
R21 - N.M - Full forward
R22 - Carl - Full forward
R23 - Rich - Full forward

If the Bulldogs can find a KPF, settle Bont full time in the centre and win a few games, I reckon he can win a Brownlow
Sadly for them, team balance & team needs has meant they haven't had that luxury.

Last edited:
Definetly Robbos opinion.I think its good that Vardy who would not even have played for the Eagles if Naitanui was fit absolutely nullified numbers eight and ten on Robbos list (Gawn and Grundy).Pantsed them boned them and owned them in consecutive games in big finals on consecutove weekends.Good effort by Vardy.

Vardy and Lycett.

In the real world, mate. The one where the Bulldogs were caught short up forward with Stringer traded, Jack Redpath injured and neither Boyd nor Schache stepping up. They were forced to use Bont at CHF and full forward. Bont was named in a key forward post in 13 of his 19 matches and split his time between there and stints in the midfield.

Do you watch any games besides Essendon?

2018/ Bontempelli
R01 - GWS - Ruck rover
R02 - WCE - Full forward
R03 - Ess - CHF
R04 - Syd - CHF
R05 - Freo - CHF
R06 - Carl - CHF
R07 - G.C. - out injured
R08 - Bris - CHF
R09 - Adel - Centre
R10 - Coll - Centre
R11 - Melb - Full forward
R12 - bye
R13 - Port - Full forward
R14 - N.M - Centre
R15 - Geel - Centre
R16 - Haw - Centre
R17 - Melb - out injured
R18 - WCE - out injured
R19 - Port - Full forward
R20 - St K - Full forward
R21 - N.M - Full forward
R22 - Carl - Full forward
R23 - Rich - Full forward
Nah, they still had Gowers playing forward and Schache played in the last 13 games of the season. Bont may have played more forward due to his hip injury in 2018 but he is a midfielder not a key forward.

And I don't go for Bombers lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo's top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back