Opinion Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

With 115 goals in the past two seasons (second only to Hawkins) you would think Bayley Fritsch would be a regular in any top 50 list. But alas!

Robbo thinks Curnow will be the best player in the game this year. It’s a prediction. I don’t know how anyone can be upset about that.

And considering he just won a Coleman coming off 3 injury plagued years, I don’t see how it’s a particularly bold prediction either.

top 10,50's a stretch

c.oliver
m.gawn
bontempelli
s.walsh
lynch
s.may
j.cameron
miller
petracca
naughton
And my list is controversial?
Walsh naughton may and lynch all would come under question by a lot of people as well.

Decent list in my opinion though, maybe on potential a bit more. Naughton isn’t there yet.

And my list is controversial?
Walsh naughton may and lynch all would come under question by a lot of people as well.

Decent list in my opinion though, maybe on potential a bit more. Naughton isn’t there yet.
Walsh probably 11-20, but not outrageous to have him top 10. Naughton I agree is too high. May and Lynch definitely top 10 for me. Best key defender and best key forward.

Can make an argument for Cameron as the better key position forward, although he plays a different role. Better all round player for sure. Stewart not even close and isn't a key position defender.
All Australian the last 4 of 5 years…playing chb for us. If not he is the best Hackman in the competition.

Also Hawkins has been the leading goal kicker for 10 years straight now for Geelong. Geelong have finished top 4 8 of those 10 years.

mate no disrespect but if you think Jack whatever his name is from St.Failure is a better footballer than Oliver im pretty sure you'll only be taken seriously in your own mind,thats just me tho.
i applaud anyone who posts a top 50 ,no easy task,but the top 4-5 are pretty well known and theres 3 in yours that are laughable and thats where i stopped
at and posted my first comment,@ #5
Yeah Clayton Oliver at 10 is a massive oversight. Clearly a top 3 player in the comp last 2 seasons. To have Jack Steele ahead of him(who'
ss a nice player) is laughable. And Harry McKay ahead of Gawn is crazy as well. Max is arguably the most influential player in the competition. Harry kicks a few snags and is a decent FF, but he's not ahead of a 6X AA, 5 of those in the last 5 years.

Yeah Clayton Oliver at 10 is a massive oversight. Clearly a top 3 player in the comp last 2 seasons. To have Jack Steele ahead of him(who'
ss a nice player) is laughable. And Harry McKay ahead of Gawn is crazy as well. Max is arguably the most influential player in the competition. Harry kicks a few snags and is a decent FF, but he's not ahead of a 6X AA, 5 of those in the last 5 years.
I think Jack Steele in a club where he wasn’t the standout number 1 would get Oliver like numbers and is defensively the better of the two by a mile. Who is taking attention off Jack ? Brad Crouch haha?
Has had as many top 5 Brownlow finishes as Oliver in the last 3 years as well in a side that has been shizen.

Harry would be in my top 3 kpp forwards in the competition. I am a massive fan of Max and is one of the best ruckman ever, looks as though he could get up to that top 5 ranking again this year.

I think Jack Steele in a club where he wasn’t the standout number 1 would get Oliver like numbers and is defensively the better of the two by a mile. Who is taking attention off Jack ? Brad Crouch haha?

Harry would be in my top 3 kpp forwards in the competition. I am a massive fan of Max and is one of the best ruckman ever, looks as though he could get up to that top 5 ranking again this year.
You're speaking rubbish, mate.

Oliver is already the best contested midfielder in history and year after year leads the competition in hardball gets.

His ability to get handballs to teammates on the outside is extraordinary. You know, give his side first use.

The reason he's one of ony two players ever to win multiple coaches awards is because opposition coaches realise how instrumental he's been in their demise. They see it even if you can't.

I realise nothing I say will have any effect on your opinion, it's set, so I post only for balance.

I'll also point out that he plays nearly all of this year as a 25 year old. He's done all of these things and ONLY just reached his prime.

You're speaking rubbish, mate.

Oliver is already the best contested midfielder in history and year after year leads the competition in hardball gets.

His ability to get handballs to teammates on the outside is extraordinary. You know, give his side first use.

The reason he's one of ony two players ever to win multiple coaches awards is because opposition coaches realise how instrumental he's been in their demise. They see it even if you can't.

I realise nothing I say will have any effect on your opinion, it's set, so I post only for balance.

I'll also point out that he plays nearly all of this year as a 25 year old. He's done all of these things and ONLY just reached his prime.
That’s why I gave him a top 10 player, but Steele deserves credit Oliver last 3 years average 1.15 votes a game and Steele 1 vote a game. Always easier to get votes in a winning team as well. Steeles tackling and team based efforts are second to none he is a true leader.

Oliver reminds me of Dane Swan with a little more explosiveness and less ability to hit the scoreboard. Petracca is the one that scares me when we play the demons a genuine superstar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve given Melbourne the best positioning in the top 15 out of any club. Petracca 4 Oliver 10 Gawn 13. Only other club with 3 in there are Carlton.

That’s why I gave him a top 10 player, but Steele deserves credit Oliver last 3 years average 1.15 votes a game and Steele 1 vote a game. Always easier to get votes in a winning team as well. Steeles tackling and team based efforts are second to none he is a true leader.

Oliver reminds me of Dane Swan with a little more explosiveness and less ability to hit the scoreboard. Petracca is the one that scares me when we play the demons a genuine superstar.
Mate, who is taking votes off Steele in that side?? Oliver has Gawn, Trac, May, Viney, Brayshaw etc. Steele has who? Brad Crouch? Of course he's going to poll well in that side. No denying he's a good player but in no dimension is he a better player than Oliver.

Mate, who is taking votes off Steele in that side?? Oliver has Gawn, Trac, May, Viney, Brayshaw etc. Steele has who? Brad Crouch? Of course he's going to poll well in that side. No denying he's a good player but in no dimension is he a better player than Oliver.
Top sides get the votes in the history of the Brownlow , Black Akermanis Voss no trouble getting votes even des headland got a top 5 one year of I remember correctly. I would rather be a midfielder to get big numbers in a side where the attention is spread over 5 good midfielders rather than just me. Garry Ablett got it done in Gold Coast but not many have.

Anyway we disagree on this subject, let’s put it to bed. Overall Oliver will end up with the better career and you will have the last laugh, but if I had to pick a midfield now for a club I was running I would take Steele before him.

Top sides get the votes in the history of the Brownlow , Black Akermanis Voss no trouble getting votes even des headland got a top 5 one year of I remember correctly. I would rather be a midfielder to get big numbers in a side where the attention is spread over 5 good midfielders rather than just me. Garry Ablett got it done in Gold Coast but not many have.
Oh dear. Mate, Oliver gets votes in a stacked side because he's a contested beast like no other we've seen. Plus he averages a ridiculous amount of disposals per game. If you have Clarry, Petracca and Steele in a lineup, you'd actually be foolish to pick Steele ahead of either of the other two. I get it, we all have different opinions, but Oliver has him covered comfortably as a player and he's 2 years younger.

Since i've clicked here, bold = dubious selections.

Prestia is too injured to consider top 50. Great when he's on, but struggles to consistently find that form.
Marshall is a great mark but he's not a great ruckman compared to his peers. Sean Darcy has him covered comfortably.
Merrett has become very low impact in recent years. I could happily name a dozen players not on this list that should be ahead of him
LDU i might be a bit unfair on.
Vlaustin is a good defender, but like Merrett i could name a few i'd have ahead of him for this list. Similar for Maynard
Taranto & Smith - bit meh for me to be mids in the top 50

Missing from a predictive perspective:
Noah Anderson - Tipping he'll be top 20 by seasons end. Looks a very good player with a good support network coming up around him
Hayden Young - So underrated in the shadow of Brayshaw and Serong.
Sean Darcy - For all the Grundy/Gawn talk, i think he'll be up there in AA ruck conversation this year.
Jack Crisp - not sure why so many sleep on this guy. He's a weapon in that pies midfield. Josh Daicos another one in that side that seems to fly under the radar. Will also throw Elliott in too. Arguably the best small fwd in the comp.
Zak Butters - Has Rozee (who is great), but misses Butters (who is better). perplexed.
Mason Redman - breakout season in 2022 and had been building towards it. Was unlucky not to be in the AA squad
Adam Saad - see Redman (except he made the squad)
Tom Atkins - personifies modern footy to a premiership level....not in the top 50.
You go on to mention people stiff to miss out and you mention guys like Young, Redman and Atkins.

Not that I don’t think Young will be a very good player (not as sure on Redman)

But you forgot to mention Steele and Sinclair both AA’s. Agree with Marshall, although I do believe he’s in for a really big year.

Has had as many top 5 Brownlow finishes as Oliver in the last 3 years as well in a side that has been shizen.

So we are using brownlow votes to judge players now? Lol

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Oliver is miles ahead of Steele - not even close

Bigfooty always delivers

Brownlow is a rubbish metric. Oliver has won the coaches award two years in a row, he’s quite simply a better player than Steele

Remove this Banner Ad

Back