Rodney Eade and others in The Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Heapoie

Senior List
Aug 28, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I couldn't believe it this morning when I opened the paper and read the votes given by the 'Age Experts' for the Grand Final. Two particularly stood out, these were:

Rodney Eade:
Luke Hodge, Hawthorn, 9
Brad Sewell, Hawthorn, 8
Cyril Rioli, Hawthorn, 7
Joel Selwood, Geelong, 7
Joel Corey, Geelong, 7

Len Johnson
Brad Sewell, Hawthorn, 8
Luke Hodge, Hawthorn, 8
Stuart Dew, Hawthorn, 7
Matthew Scarlett, Geelong, 7
Clinton Young, Hawthorn, 7

Now I dont think it is unreasonable to say that these 'expert' votes are anything but. Did Rodney Eade actually watch the game or did he simply think that Gary Ablett didn't do enough for his team and didn't fight it out right to the end.

I know it doesn't matter much, but I would love to know why the great 'rocket' and Len didn't think Ablett was deserving of a vote. As a result, I am planning to contact 'Len' at The Age to receive clarification for the reasons behind his decision. Watch this space!

Add Leigh Matthews to that list, for his efforts in the Norm Smith voting. Hawthorn might have won, but Ablett was in the top 3 players on the ground yesterday.

point is, to not have ablett in at least the top 5 is simply criminal. he was by far the best player for geelong, and in my opinion second best on ground after hodge.

these 'so called experts' need to take a good long hard at themselves

Hodge
Sewell
Ablett
is about right
Scarlett, Selwood and Dew were all thereabouts as well. Both teams had players that stared and the voting should have had about a 50/50 split between the clubs. The difference was that the Hawks worst 6 players were much better than the Cats worst 6 players.

I'm not saying he should have won the Norm Smith (although I think he was slightly stiff not to). I'm pointing out how pathetic these experts are, saying Ablett wasn't in the top 5 players is just a joke.

I have sent an email to the sports editor at The Age and am looking forward to a reply!:D

To not have Ablett in the top 5 players was a disgrace. There was not that many players who put in a top effort for 4 quarters.

Players like Sewell/Rioli/Dew etc deserved a few votes, but certainly didn't contribute for then entire match (Even though they stood up when it mattered)

I was at the game and thought Ablett was EASILY best on ground.

The fact the the coach of my team didn't feel he was even in the top 5 is a little disturbing.....

Ablett is a freak and yesterday confirmed that he is without any doubt the best player in the league - the guy is simply untackleable (if that is a word!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe these so called experts couldn't tell that G.Ablett was in the best two players on the ground.

Thought Ablett played well, but didnt know how well until I watched the replay on Fox... ok alcohol may have had some influence on that.

Bad luck cats, I am sure you guys will bounce back next season.

Neutral observer here, and honestly I thought Joel Selwood shaded Ablett on the day, mainly because Ablett had a couple of things go wrong for him, even though he was magnificent. I just thought was pretty much faultless, and when he wasn't near the contest Geelong looked most vulnerable (mostly during second quarter).
I've been a Selwood fan but it really hit home to me yesterday just how bloody good he is.
Super hands, keeps his feet. Fantastic player.

Selwood stood out in the opening half to me, Ablett stood out all day. To not get a mention in the top 5 is ridiculous, almost every time he's near the contest he has an impact in some way. He was inspirational yesterday, obviously not enough though.

Looks like all the coaches had Hodge as BOG. Include Mark Williams from Port.

I reckon coaches know a thing or two about who's really valuable in a win, don't youse?

Great thread 'Heapoie', I couldn't have agreed with you more. I find it so frustrating when people don't receive the credit and accolades they deserve, i.e. Ablett.

He may not have been BOG, but Ablett was definitely in the top 5, so the fact that Johnson and Eade failed to mention him thoroughly undermines their credibility.

I reckon coaches know a thing or two about who's really valuable in a win, don't youse?

If you're not going to focus on the topic of the thread, don't post.

Although I believe Ablett was stiff, we're talking about how he was definitely in the top 5 players on the day, not necessarily BOG.

Hence, the fact that many coaches rated Hodge as BOG is rendered irrelevant.

Was that the issue? The issue is Ablett not been deemed to be in the best five players on the ground.

Now piss off back to your own board.

The thing that has annoyed me is the fact that so many people who gave votes yesterday have said that if Geelong had won, Gaz would have won the Norm Smith - now last time I looked, the Norm Smith was to be awarded to the best player on the ground on the day, regardless of being in the winning or losing team...

I think he deserved to win...

The thing that has annoyed me is the fact that so many people who gave votes yesterday have said that if Geelong had won, Gaz would have won the Norm Smith - now last time I looked, the Norm Smith was to be awarded to the best player on the ground on the day, regardless of being in the winning or losing team...

I think he deserved to win...

Agreed, because going off that "theory" then the Brownlow every year should go to a player who's team finishes top of the ladder...

Gaz was easily top 5.

It's not unreasonable for people to say If Geelong had won, he would have won. Gaz had a great game, even by his lofty standards, but his influence on the contest wasn't as pronounced because of what was happening in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rodney Eade and others in The Age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back