Roo - All Australian Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jars458 said:
I guess we are seeing just a sniff of how arrogant they will be if their team actually acheives the ultimate success.

Thats the dumbest thing ive ever read. I guess spindoctors regular Cornes bashing is a sign of how arrogant and unbearable Crows supporters will be when the Crows win another premiership??

Come on now jars. You could use your statement for about 500,000 posts on bigfooty.

Macca19 said:
Thats the dumbest thing ive ever read. I guess spindoctors regular Cornes bashing is a sign of how arrogant and unbearable Crows supporters will be when the Crows win another premiership??

Come on now jars. You could use your statement for about 500,000 posts on bigfooty.

Sorry Macca but I will stand by it. I am probably only referring to a minority but there will be some like that.

On the other hand there will be many Port supporters I will be happy for as they are my family and friends, but as I say some jokers ruin it for everyone.

screech said:
Chad Cornes isn't a CHB's flogged arseh*le

And yet in his first full season in defence he's AA CHB.

It's one thing to believe he's overrated, it's quite another to make him sound like he's Evan Hewitt.

Kane McGoodwin said:
Exactly, both Roo & Tredders have been fantastic leaders for their clubs, but Roo would have got the nod on captaincy experience.
He would have, and rightly so.
However, I do not rate Ricciuto as one of the better captains of the game.
Now what is wrong with saying that.

PAfolwr said:
He would have, and rightly so.

Thats why i said compared to all the 22 players selected, Roo was the only one that had to be given the nod. Then Tredders. Even though not many, and sometimes myself dont rate him high in the leadership, in that 22 list of players he had the experience they would be looking for.

_espoir said:
Thats why i said compared to all the 22 players selected, Roo was the only one that had to be given the nod. Then Tredders. Even though not many, and sometimes myself dont rate him high in the leadership, in that 22 list of players he had the experience they would be looking for.
I agree with that.
To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure what kind of a captain Tredrea will make.
So far he seems to lead by example, like Ricciuto, Buckley, Wanganeen etc.
Will he have that extra bit that will inspire other players to lift? Early days yet, time will tell.

There are always good leaders at clubs but nothing is more distracting than seeing your captain have a crap game. The best Captains lead from the front hence the selection of Roo and Treddas. No other captains played better this season.

Watzsup said:
There are always good leaders at clubs but nothing is more distracting than seeing your captain have a crap game. The best Captains lead from the front hence the selection of Roo and Treddas. No other captains played better this season.

I reckon if Hird had played closer to 22 games he would've been a certainty for AA captain with Ricciuto as vice.

dyertribe said:
I reckon if Hird had played closer to 22 games he would've been a certainty for AA captain with Ricciuto as vice.

No argument from me. Hird is exactly what a captain should be......but hard to make captain if you don't get picked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PAfolwr said:

Nothing apart from the fact that you're showing unusual bias and a lack of intelligence by your normal standards.

Roo would have to be one of the better captains in the game by a long chalk, and some much better judges than you and I think he is good enough to captain the AA side.

Just accept it and move on, rather than downgrading yourself. ;)

macca23 said:
Nothing apart from the fact that you're showing unusual bias and a lack of intelligence by your normal standards.
Bit rough there Macca.
Now prey tell where the bias is.
As far as lack of intelligence goes, is that because we don't agree? Do we not agree because of my lack of intelligence or yours?

PAfolwr said:
Bit rough there Macca.
Now prey tell where the bias is.
As far as lack of intelligence goes, is that because we don't agree? Do we not agree because of my lack of intelligence or yours?

Maybe it is a bit rough, but so is your judgement of Roo as a captain - based on virtually zero knowledge of what he is actually like as a captain.

The bias comes in IMO because if he was a Port man you'd think he was a champion skipper and deservedly AA captain.

I certainly wasn't backing your intelligence against mine because we disagree. I've got nothing to do with it. You're disagreeing with some of the most astute brains in AFL footy who selected him as the skipper, and I think they're far better qualified to make that call.

Personally I would have accepted whoever the selectors nominated as captain rather than denigrating that individual by saying I didn't think they were a very good captain.

Does it really matter??

Anyhow nobody's going to beat you to death for not agreeing!! ;) :p

macca23 said:
Maybe it is a bit rough, but so is your judgement of Roo as a captain - based on virtually zero knowledge of what he is actually like as a captain.
After Port, Adelaide are the team I have seen most of for quite a few years. Not as much in the last year or so, but over many many years.
macca23 said:
...The bias comes in IMO because if he was a Port man you'd think he was a champion skipper and deservedly AA captain.
He is a champion player, and rightly deserves to be AA captain of this side. Have I said otherwise?
But IMO he is not one of the games better captains.
I have also said many times on here over the last couple of years that he is the one player I would have liked at Port.
wrt Port captains, if I was overly biased, I wouldn't have said what I did about Wanganeen and Tredrea.

macca23 said:
...I certainly wasn't backing your intelligence against mine because we disagree. I've got nothing to do with it. You're disagreeing with some of the most astute brains in AFL footy who selected him as the skipper, and I think they're far better qualified to make that call.
Do you mean experts like Walls, Rucci, Brereton and Co? :rolleyes:

macca23 said:
...Personally I would have accepted whoever the selectors nominated as captain rather than denigrating that individual by saying I didn't think they were a very good captain.

Does it really matter??

Anyhow nobody's going to beat you to death for not agreeing!!
No, it doesn't matter, but when people are having a debate, then jumping in head first without understanding the context or having read all their previous posts on the matter does show bad form Macca. ;)

PAfolwr said:
How do you form that opinion? I'm not having a go at you for having that opinion but being a captain of a club extends far beyond the 120 minutes we see of them on the field each week. The things that we don't have a full understanding of is how he goes about his business when the cameras aren't around. How does he interact with and inspire the younger players, how does he keep players motivation going in a season that is shot in terms of making finals, how does he convey the coaches message throughout the playing group etc etc.

The club considers him to be an outstanding leader for many many reasons and they have a lot more knowledge than we do.

It's just not as easy as judging what you see in the media.

Fergus said:
How do you form that opinion? I'm not having a go at you for having that opinion but being a captain of a club extends far beyond the 120 minutes we see of them on the field each week. The things that we don't have a full understanding of is how he goes about his business when the cameras aren't around. How does he interact with and inspire the younger players, how does he keep players motivation going in a season that is shot in terms of making finals, how does he convey the coaches message throughout the playing group etc etc.

The club considers him to be an outstanding leader for many many reasons and they have a lot more knowledge than we do.

It's just not as easy as judging what you see in the media.
I do not dispute he does all the right things that a leader should do.
I have no idea at all to be honest, but one would assume that if he didn't he would never have been made captain. He has been in the system long enough for his form to be assessed.

Why do I not rate him as one of the better ones?
Easy. The on field side.
Some players lift when the chips are down, and lead by example.
He does that in spades, as do a number of others. Buckley, Wanganeen and Crawford spring to mind from that point of view.
The better ones however, not only lift, but create an "aura" around them that makes other players lift.
He does not do that, hence not one of the better ones.

PAfolwr said:
I agree with that.
To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure what kind of a captain Tredrea will make.
So far he seems to lead by example, like Ricciuto, Buckley, Wanganeen etc.
Will he have that extra bit that will inspire other players to lift? Early days yet, time will tell.
youre kidding what more as a captain could you want from warren as you know i aint know port fan but his game on sunday was the perfect captains game imho

birdmanptr said:
youre kidding what more as a captain could you want from warren as you know i aint know port fan but his game on sunday was the perfect captains game imho
Sorry, but that's my opinion.
Let's not forget he is still plenty young. As I said, early days yet, but yes he is totally unselfish, and that's a good sign.
That's why I didn't post on the "other" thread as I would have copped it from both sides. :eek:

PAfolwr said:

PAfolwr said:
After Port, Adelaide are the team I have seen most of for quite a few years. Not as much in the last year or so, but over many many years.
So your making your opinion on Roo as a captain yet admit not to seeing Adelaide play as much in the last year or so - on which his AA captaincy selection would be based. Yeah, I can see that you are well informed to make an informed decision then! :rolleyes:

Kane McGoodwin said:
So your making your opinion on Roo as a captain yet admit not to seeing Adelaide play as much in the last year or so - on which his AA captaincy selection would be based. Yeah, I can see that you are well informed to make an informed decision then! :rolleyes:
After reading that, I am absolutely sure that in the games I didn't see him play he undoubtedly showed more Hirdesque qualities than Hird himself, and therefore must apologise to all and sundry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roo - All Australian Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back