Player Watch Rookie: Brett Collins (2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rookie: Brett Collins

he is one very talented kid. there are a couple videos of him on youtube if you are interested.

Training today.

Great to hear that Collo was out on the ground after his surgery. Evidently still five weeks or so away from playing. They won't take any chances as 10-12 weeks is the recovery time for such an injury. Will surely have a heavy program planned for the next month to get him ready to play.

Videos Brett Collins

Originally Posted by ScottyDog
Double Click the attached to see Collo in action 2006 for St Bedes VAFA Senior side.

[YOUTUBE]SWL0IgM19V0[/YOUTUBE]

2006 Grand Final

[YOUTUBE]8qZ3BnQZZpc[/YOUTUBE]

Also the APS Final Haileybury V Scotch.
[YOUTUBE]FuILC6YoLCs[/YOUTUBE]

Saw these videos of young Brett a few weeks back. For those that missed it is worth a look. Also a couple of other videos on the same channel that he pops up in.

Saw this on MightyHawks. Positive feedback for all the boys.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:48 am Post subject: kids had a great time, rides, games, player signings, junk food

Cost me a small fortune
icon_sad.gif

on top of that i forgot to bring my membership cards so coughed up for entry, and carting the kids out of the ground for the loo, and then back in again was a bit frustrating!! But a good day was had all the same

Big thankyou to Brett Collins and young Renouf for playing volleyball with my 5 year old, he was stoked and they will forever have a huuuuge fan in my boy

All in all the players were excellent with the kids on what wouldnt be there favourite day i would imagine

Brett Collins
Heres a few pics for ya, of him playing against Ajax in the Grand Final this year, in which St bedes won by a point

Supplied by Pykie!

After all these months the Hawthorn website now has the rookies loaded.

Player Profile

__Main_41BrettCollins.jpg

Brett Collins

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 41
Height: 186.55
Weight: 72.55
DOB: 02/11/1988
Recruited From: St Bedes Mentone Tigers

Lifted this of the St Bedes website

Club Achievements
2006 Selected Vic V Allies Game TAC
2006 Premiership Player U17
2006 Premiership Player Seniors
2006 State Representative VAFA U19 V QFL
2005 Russell Logan Memorial Trophy U17
2005 Premiership Player U17
2005 Competition Best & Fairest Runner Up U17
2005 Best & Fairest Runner Up U17
2004 Best & Fairest Runner Up U16

We have seen little of Brett so far but time to remind everyone that we still have one more player to be seen at Box Hill. Found these on a 'Mighty Hawks Thread' on Collo. Can't be far away from joining Box Hill.

the whistler TAC Under 18's Joined: 10 Aug 2006

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:26 pm Post subject: Pykie at BF wrote Brett Collins at 87 - St Kilda.
Has the best footskills in the draft pool. Is a ripper of a smokey, as John Beveridge the recruiting manager for St Kilda's, son Luke, coaches St Bedes seniors, where Brett kicked 7 in one game.

Major Tom Auskick Joined: 21 Sep 2006 Posts: 38 Location: Space Oditty

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:03 pm Post subject: Collins is your classic Half Forward (probably 6'1'' in the old scale) with all the marking and kicking skills required to make it. I have seen him play and whilst he chose not to join the TAC, he was probably the best player at Haileybury College and at St Bedes OC (whilst this is C grade ammos) he was dominant. Evidently Josh Kennedy who played against him at Xavier was sounded out and he indicated Collins was the best player not drafted at that private school level. The Saints would have taken him with their first pick. A very good selection by the Hawks and exactly the type of player you would rookie as he has tremendous upside to his game once in a total AFL environment. Could be anything.

Thats my take on it.

Over and out

That's a good write-up and he was definately one of the better players at AFL level (wouldn't take any notice of his ammos form, the standard he played was extremely poor).

Can tell you though, that the Saints wouldn't have picked him before their 3rd pick. But his footskills are damn good.

Peter Panda Auskick Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 7
Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:40 am Post subject: Heard from a bloke at work who watched a couple of Hailebury games that the kid is a gun. Easily best on ground every game he saw. Was very surprised he didn't go in the national draft. Excellent pick up Pelchen & bucky

Hards Hawk Auskick Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 25

Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:22 pm Post subject: Dont shoot the messenger!

Two independent sources have stated that Brett Collins playing style is very simlilar to James Hird. This is based on his freakish kicking skills, ability to take a great mark and dominant a game as if he has a ball on a string.

The fact he didnt play in the TAC Cup and played private school footy is one of the main reasons he didnt attract a lot of interset. He definately would have been taken by StKilda if we didnt take him at Pick 6. Was coached by StKilda's recruiting managers son at St Bedes. Currently weighs 72kg(186cm tall) so obviously he needs to add some muscle before he is AFL ready.

Thank Josh Kennedy who passed on the information to the Hawks, as he played against him and mentioned how good this kid was at the game.

Wait and see.

Chainsaw Al TAC Under 18's Joined: 10 Aug 2006 Posts: 182

when will he be ready for box hill? has he started training and kicking with no restrictions?

Played his first game last Saturday with Box Hill twos. Kicked three and certainly showed a glimpse of how he plays. Did not play a full game. Came on for half of each quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I have seen Collo has had limited game time over the past four weeks. First outing was in the best with 17 possessions and 3 goals in half a game. Pulled up sore though after the game with his foot and appears to be hampered as he is yet to play a full game. Last week did not come out after 1/2 time after being the BHHs only dangerous forward in the second quarter. The limited time I have seen him he has shown flashes of class. Even half fit and with limited game time see him as being more dangerous up forward than some others in Box Hill Hawks ones. Seems to have time with the ball and the ability to make room for himself.

when will he be ready for box hill? has he started training and kicking with no restrictions?

brett to miss the majority if not the whole season of 07 due to re-injuring his ankle which he had an operation on due to stress fractures. no surgery required however this time around.

The only justice that can be done is to rest the kid and give him another crack next year. From recent posts collins sounds like he has a lot of talent so hopefully he gets the chance to show it

Agree with that, still 17, and a good pre-season with an A.F.L club will be quite handy, as he didn't participate in the pre-season just gone due to his foot which he has re-injured.
i.C

Collo entered hospital today for a second operation on his foot. Apparently his foot was sore after the first game. Fracture has reappeared.

Brett Collins was at training today, on crutches with his foot heavily bandaged. He said he is out for 10 weeks, effectively ending his 2007 season but leaving him ready to start the 2008 season.

Brett Collins was at training today, on crutches with his foot heavily bandaged. He said he is out for 10 weeks, effectively ending his 2007 season but leaving him ready to start the 2008 season.

Do you think he will be given another year on the rookie list Rusty?

Do you think he will be given another year on the rookie list Rusty?

I'm 100% certain I would if I was in charge, but...... I believe so, I hope so.

I also think technically he has a 2 year contract as a rookie but clubs have often broken that contract, including Hawthorn.

I'm 100% certain I would if I was in charge, but...... I believe so, I hope so.

I also think technically he has a 2 year contract as a rookie but clubs have often broken that contract, including Hawthorn.

Rusty any word on young collo after his second major injury this year. Played with him in a premiership at St Bedes and it couldnt have been a worse start for him with 2 ops on his foot so far. Will the club persist or cut it ties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie: Brett Collins (2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back