Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Turn the attention off the national draft for a bit.

Who we drafted last year

Neates (close to debut with 25ish possies for cmont each week)

Broome (Gun in 3 years)

Strijk (Gun)

Hams (Gun)

J.O.N (Improved massively, could debut for us next year)

What should we do this year? Chad Jones and McNamara have had great seasons in the WAFL, could they get a re-call? Will the club draft project player, ready made players, or a bit of both?

Neates wasn't drafted as a rookie

Bit of an early call on Broome, let's wait till he's playing consistently at WAFL reserves before we even hint at calling him a gun

Strijk and Hams had good first years as mature age recruits, will be interesting to see how they go next year

Chad Jones? no thanks too old and too one dimensional, there's a reason we delisted him.
Jamie MacNamara? Considering our main problem this year was midfielders with poor disposal recruiting him again wouldn't improve us in this area.

My guess is project players and as one out of left field, we might see a Hams reunion on the rookie list with Kyle drafted

Ryan Brabazon - Pace personified. Would look great on a wing or HFF.

Ian Richardson - Still don't understand why this guy hasn't been drafted yet. Does he have attitude problems? Disposal is first class and he knows where the goals are. Would add heaps to any forward line in the league.

And as for who we shouldn't take...

No Tendai Mzungu please (and this is from a Perth fan!). Don't need any more vanilla mids. Luke Blackwell is the same, watch WAFL games on TV and it amazes me how a bloke can have so many touches and so little impact compared to his teammates.

Josh Smith wouldn't add anything Callum Wilson doesn't.

im callin it early broome will never play afl.

I'm thinking the same. He's too small. He won't have enough time on the rookie list to bulk up before he comes under fire for either delisting, for the list space, or upgrading to the main list. 1 of his rookie years has already passed.

Isn't next year the last year for 3rd year rookies, or am I mistaken?
Do the rookie rules revert back to the rules that were prior to the changes made because of GC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weedon will be the fail because if he doesn't turn out we wasted an early second rounder on him when realistically he shouldn't of been drafted where he was. he wasn't rated anywhere near where we took him. we were in need of a KPF and passed on black and Carlisle. we were also in need of a pacey outside mid and passed on colyer. We basically passed on a bunch of players who were more highly rated, filled needs and were from WA. you could add duncan to this aswell but from my POV pre-draft i wanted colyer, black and carlisle. i felt like with weedon the club knew something about him nobody else did. still yet to see what that is. If he turns out to be a spud our recruiting staff are gonna look mighty stupid.

With broome it aint matter if he fails. i don't think anybody expected too much from a guy that's as small as he is. we also gave up almost nothing to get him. he was worth a crack. i personally aint think he will ever play AFL i reckon he's too small but i still don't care that we drafted him.
Whereas with weedon i was shocked, angry and thought it was stupid to take weedon when we did. A year later not much has changed. in fact carlisle, colyer and duncan have all exceeded my expectations.

im putting weedon in the same boat as notte. could be a gun, could be a spud and better get out of the reserves

With regards to players size, have you taken a look at Jefferey Garlett lately? If you take his "size" into account, many would've thought he was incapable of making it at the top level, but he's managed to kick bags of goals at times with Carlton and enough for us to even consider trading for him.

After all it's just a rookie pick, however most small forwards in the game are drafted late, either via the rookie list/PSD or a very late National Draft Pick. He's got another 2 years on the rookie list to go, and with rookie list expansions due to the new clubs, his job security is pretty safe IMO. He's a project player and will be given a couple of years to show glimpses of what he can produce.

Weedon will be the fail because if he doesn't turn out we wasted an early second rounder on him when realistically he shouldn't of been drafted where he was. he wasn't rated anywhere near where we took him. we were in need of a KPF and passed on black and Carlisle. we were also in need of a pacey outside mid and passed on colyer. We basically passed on a bunch of players who were more highly rated, filled needs and were from WA. you could add duncan to this aswell but from my POV pre-draft i wanted colyer, black and carlisle. i felt like with weedon the club knew something about him nobody else did. still yet to see what that is. If he turns out to be a spud our recruiting staff are gonna look mighty stupid.

With broome it aint matter if he fails. i don't think anybody expected too much from a guy that's as small as he is. we also gave up almost nothing to get him. he was worth a crack. i personally aint think he will ever play AFL i reckon he's too small but i still don't care that we drafted him.
Whereas with weedon i was shocked, angry and thought it was stupid to take weedon when we did. A year later not much has changed. in fact carlisle, colyer and duncan have all exceeded my expectations.

im putting weedon in the same boat as notte. could be a gun, could be a spud and better get out of the reserves

Weedon wouldn't have been available in the third round, Collingwood in particular where very interested in him, and would of pulled the gun.

Show some faith in Weedon he will be very good for us, remember he had hip surgery after round one of wafl season.

So his season was very interupted.

Ask anyone that has played with him, and they will tell you he is just silk.

With regards to players size, have you taken a look at Jefferey Garlett lately? If you take his "size" into account, many would've thought he was incapable of making it at the top level, but he's managed to kick bags of goals at times with Carlton and enough for us to even consider trading for him.

After all it's just a rookie pick, however most small forwards in the game are drafted late, either via the rookie list/PSD or a very late National Draft Pick. He's got another 2 years on the rookie list to go, and with rookie list expansions due to the new clubs, his job security is pretty safe IMO. He's a project player and will be given a couple of years to show glimpses of what he can produce.

ive seen garlett. the question is have you seen broome. 167cm and 59kg's whereas garlett is 180cm and 74kg's. broome makes garlett look like a monster. Size isn't all important but i think there is a limit in the afl which stops at about 170cm and 70kg's were you can just about rule a guy out. he's got 2 years and i dont think he will make it in that time.
its just a guess a prediction im taking a punt hear going out early.
its the same as the punt where i called shuey to be a superstar when we drafted him.
im still happy with that punt.
i did also think notte was gonna turn into a gun after a few years when we drafted him. im not so sure now about that one now so i can be wrong.

Weedon wouldn't have been available in the third round, Collingwood in particular where very interested in him, and would of pulled the gun.

Show some faith in Weedon he will be very good for us, remember he had hip surgery after round one of wafl season.

So his season was very interupted.

Ask anyone that has played with him, and they will tell you he is just silk.

we didnt have a pick in the 3rd round. stevens was our last pick. the point was at draft time i would of taken colyer, black, carlisle before him in that order.
A year on not much has changed maybe carlisle ahead of black but thats just coz blacks been injured this year anyway.
If i had the choice to swap weedon for anyone of the above 3 i would do it immediately. i personally reckon they are all better players and satisfy better needs than weedon does. but thats just my opinion. Weedon could just come out and prove me wrong becoming a gun. but atm i stand by my previous judgements.

we didnt have a pick in the 3rd round. stevens was our last pick. the point was at draft time i would of taken colyer, black, carlisle before him in that order.
A year on not much has changed maybe carlisle ahead of black but thats just coz blacks been injured this year anyway.
If i had the choice to swap weedon for anyone of the above 3 i would do it immediately. i personally reckon they are all better players and satisfy better needs than weedon does. but thats just my opinion. Weedon could just come out and prove me wrong becoming a gun. but atm i stand by my previous judgements.

How reactionary are your statements? Carlisle hasn't proven anything, is he a better prospect than Black? No. He's a totally different prospect to Black.

Carlisle is a bit player and Black could be excess to our requirments.

How reactionary are your statements? Carlisle hasn't proven anything, is he a better prospect than Black? No. He's a totally different prospect to Black.

Carlisle is a bit player and Black could be excess to our requirements.

Carlisle's proven more than weedon as a KPP who you would expect to take longer to come on. He's played 3 games of AFL whilst Weedons been in WAFL reserves. Not many kids take 12 marks and kick a goal in their second game as a KPF. They arent that different players they are both versatile KPP's. I would still prefer black to Carlisle. Athletic big men aint common. Especially from WA. I think black went for west coast aswell as a kid. Colyers obviously been great.

Our needs for lighting line breaking outside mids and KPF's also far outweigh our needs for Half forward flankers/inside mids.
Weedon was never expected to go as high as he did anyway. it was a risk and may pay off but i wasnt happy then and im still not happy now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back