List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not go for pick 13 and F2 in that scenario? Or better yet 13 and 30?
Would want a first rounder next year of some sort still. Not a huge fan of exiting a top 20 of a draft. 6 pickls is enough for 1 draft also. We still need 2 mature bodies for example . Taking 7 picks just leads us down the path of delisting Dom Sheed which I think is a bad idea as we need someone in the WAFL to lead the way still

Hypothetically speaking let’s say we put our F1 on the table for GCS because we want a bigger presence in this draft. Would posters be happy with 6 and 20 coming back from the Suns?

Just personally mate I’d be quite happy to hang onto our F1 unless it was required for a Warner trade.

The reason is simply that you can only realistically play so much youth at one time. For the majority of players (not Harley) they need to serve an apprenticeship of sorts. We have plenty of kids to get games into, there’s no real rush to sell ourselves out of what’s likely another top 3 pick to bring in even more youth.

Draft about 5 kids this year onto our main list, we will hopefully have a 50% strike rate and then do the same again next year. Over 5-6 years you slowly build the base that’s required when going the rebuild path like we have been forced to.

Just personally mate I’d be quite happy to hang onto our F1 unless it was required for a Warner trade.

The reason is simply that you can only realistically play so much youth at one time. For the majority of players (not Harley) they need to serve an apprenticeship of sorts. We have plenty of kids to get games into, there’s no real rush to sell ourselves out of what’s likely another top 3 pick to bring in even more youth.

Draft about 5 kids this year onto our main list, we will hopefully have a 50% strike rate and then do the same again next year. Over 5-6 years you slowly build the base that’s required when going the rebuild path like we have been forced to.
Good point although I do think 3,6,13,20,23 and Champion would be fine from a development point of view. Perhaps we could look to trade 20 or 23 into next year for a F1 on draft night and get the best of both worlds.

Continuing my schtick of under-estimated GWV players we should draft, I said this a while back (lay-scout cred in order) but why the hell is Ollie Hannaford continually spoken of as a late-ish pick?

Looks second round at the very worst to me.
Would be very surprised if he doesn’t go top 30 after his finish to the season.

Yeah, will push first round I reckon. To my eye he looks like he'll test very, very well in the relevant athletic markers too. There'd be a good case for preferring him to Berry.
I think he’d be lucky to push Berry with his runs on the board but you’re right will be very interesting to see how they both test head to head. If he hits it out of the park I agree late 1R is a definite possibility.

Having read an interview with Chad Warner I don’t think he plans on going anywhere.
He’s talking to Swans recruiting staff about his two youngest brothers. He wants them in Sydney to play with him. Does that sound like somebody planning on leaving??

Good point although I do think 3,6,13,20,23 and Champion would be fine from a development point of view. Perhaps we could look to trade 20 or 23 into next year for a F1 on draft night and get the best of both worlds.
The only thing I’d say on that is that with picks 3,6 & 13, there would be an expectation that they play AFL.

We still need to get games into Long, Hall, Johnston, J. Williams, A Reid, Dewar Bazzo, Hewett and dare I say it Chesser. That’s nine players that are all at 0-30 games of experience before we start on the 2024 crop.

Of that group the pressure is going to come on Bazzo and the two Fwds in Williams and Reid. This is due to both Barrass and Darling moving on. If injury hits they now become important pieces.

I think it’s fair to say the likes of Hough, Ginbey, H Edwards and H Reid are all at the end of there apprenticeships and would be expected to perform well at AFL level.

I mean I definitely wouldn’t say no

The whole making stuff up and trying to pass it off as having insider knowledge is getting pretty f*cken tiresome, from Schofield and the majority of the AFL media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole making stuff up and trying to pass it off as having insider knowledge is getting pretty f*cken tiresome, from Schofield and the majority of the AFL media.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Schoey called the Barrass and Darling trades long before they became official. He’s been very adamant about King being our coach for a while too.

If King gets named coach then that’ll be 3/3 for him so far this offseason.

Yeah holding our F1 unless it’s for Warner.

Imo Sharp looks a class above anyone in this draft incase we finish bottom. Probably 2nd or 3rd bottom and Duursma looks perfect for us too and has the extra bonus of currently being our best young players brother in law.

Just cut the dead weight and throw some darts in the rookie and late picks this year along with our current pick.

Hawks F1 for GCs pick 12 and tag an Atkins in a salary dump is all that is needed

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Schoey called the Barrass and Darling trades long before they became official. He’s been very adamant about King being our coach for a while too.

If King gets named coach then that’ll be 3/3 for him so far this offseason.
Schoey is friends with current Eagles players like Barrass and Darling so it makes sense that he would have the correct info about their movements.

He has no info about our coach appointment or drafting/trading as his only sources (current Eagles players) don't have that info either.

Schoey is friends with current Eagles players like Barrass and Darling so it makes sense that he would have the correct info about their movements.

He has no info about our coach appointment or drafting/trading as his only sources (current Eagles players) don't have that info either.

I know, I never said he did.

I’ve been saying for a while that I believe Mr Pyke and the panel are the only ones with any real idea about the coaching selection.

The video is just food for thought. The idea of Harley and Chad playing together is making me feel things.

Yeah holding our F1 unless it’s for Warner.

Imo Sharp looks a class above anyone in this draft incase we finish bottom. Probably 2nd or 3rd bottom and Duursma looks perfect for us too and has the extra bonus of currently being our best young players brother in law.

Just cut the dead weight and throw some darts in the rookie and late picks this year along with our current pick.

Hawks F1 for GCs pick 12 and tag an Atkins in a salary dump is all that is needed
The top 5-10 next year will be just as good as this. Most years top 10’s are good so don’t trade out of those positions unless it’s necessary such as a Warner deal.

Clubs may pay overs to get to the likes of Sharp or Louis Emmett or you just take the best kid. There’s a good bunch of WA boys coming too so there’s no rush to trade out of next year unless it’s for Warner.

I’ve been saying for a while that I believe Mr Pyke and the panel are the only ones with any real idea about the coaching selection.

The video is just food for thought. The idea of Harley and Chad playing together is making me feel things.
Damien Barrett went with that thought last Friday too in his afl article. Let’s hope Don’s and Chads connection is strong

Is it an erection you are feeling?

Don't see the point in trading our future 1st unless its a big fish . We should already have 2 x 1st rounders this draft and by the look of it you could pick up a gun in the 2nd or 3rd rounds .

We also have so many young players wanting games its better to spread out our talent intake over many years .

I would rather get extra 2nd and 3rd rounders at lower cost .

Damien Barrett went with that thought last Friday too in his afl article. Let’s hope Don’s and Chads connection is strong
I wrote in early Feb this year on this thread, but Don and Chad have a really good relationship.

They met twice last off season, one at the Warner’s family home and one more informally, playing golf. At the time, my info was that Chad was a real strong chance to join West Coast, whether that be at the end of this season or more likely at the end of next.

I personally don’t think much has changed, but that is just my instinct. If he wants more success and to come home, then Freo would be the favourite, but I don’t think they will compete with what we are offering him money wise.

Chad must really miss home if he is entertaining the idea of coming home. Swans seriously look like they’ll be in this form for a while and plus their culture is one of the best going around. Huge get for us if we can pull it off

I personally don’t think much has changed, but that is just my instinct. If he wants more success and to come home, then Freo would be the favourite, but I don’t think they will compete with what we are offering him money wise.

years khan GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back