List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:
years khan GIF
Haha whilst I do agree, they are certainly trending better than we are. Get Chad and keep building some good kids and that may change.

Haha whilst I do agree, they are certainly trending better than we are. Get Chad and keep building some good kids and that may change.

Yeah I know mate, just having a laugh at likely Freo lurkers in here. 😉

Chad must really miss home if he is entertaining the idea of coming home. Swans seriously look like they’ll be in this form for a while and plus their culture is one of the best going around. Huge get for us if we can pull it off
Probably the extra $800kish a year would be helping him miss home a little too

Can someone who has watched more of the 2025 draft class than me name some of the more highly rated ones please
Haven’t looked at it like this year but apart from Sharp who has been my #1 all year I like Ludowyke, Duursma, Hibbins-Hargreaves, Emmett, Greeves and Duff-Tytler. Curtin is my WA pick with Uwland and Annable two of the better NGAs.

Top end is better, but doesn’t look like it will bat as deep overall.

They might end up losing someone to fit him in. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Brayshaw left should Freo nab Warner. He would become 4th banana at best and I don't know how that would sit with him at his age when he wants to lead and others to follow. He'll be up for contract around the same time, too.

Clancy Dennis 194cm KPD has had a good year for Claremont also.

Won AA at CHB in the u18s carnival , quick on the lead , great 1 on 1 defender, great intercept mark and has a penetrating kick.

Haven't seen him in any phantoms worth a late pick .

Anyone seen much of him at colts level ?

Needs to get stronger gets pushed under the footy too much

Haven’t looked at it like this year but apart from Sharp who has been my #1 all year I like Ludowyke, Duursma, Hibbins-Hargreaves, Emmett, Greeves and Duff-Tytler. Curtin is my WA pick with Uwland and Annable two of the better NGAs.

Good list, don't forget Fred Rodriguez, he looks very very good for WA.

Jack Dalton at Sandy I'm predicting will be a good player.

Agree with your general sentiment but replacing a C or D grader with a B grader is a win.

The build will be a lot of small improvements as the A graders - HReid or Bolton or Warner - are rare (and extra difficult for a low ranked WA team).
We are not going from total crap to elite in one step.

We have to get to the St Kilda level with B and even C grade players before we aim for something higher.

Xerri was basically garbage before this year. He never had a year as good as Bailey's 2023, which people on here thought was bog average.

Just wanted to clarify something re this.

Xerri was named over goldy in round 1 2023. In the first qrt of round 1 he made Williams his bitch. Twas the snapped ankle he got just before qrt time that stuffed xerri’s 2023.

Sam Swadling and south's Rodriguez

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great size 185cm super quick dual sided cuts the angles moves like silk hence my nickname for him
He is genuinely exciting best wingman prospect since Stephen Hill
Any idea what his tank is like and presume you’re happy with his disposal by foot (both sides) to rate him so highly?

They might end up losing someone to fit him in. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Brayshaw left should Freo nab Warner. He would become 4th banana at best and I don't know how that would sit with him at his age when he wants to lead and others to follow. He'll be up for contract around the same time, too.

Assuming Warner moves to a full time mid. Doesnt spend as much time forward.

Warner is a goal kicker, Brayshaw the accumulator and more defensive minded.

With rotations that mix would work well IMO. Warner forward craft instead of Fyfe or another mid rotation.

Would want a first rounder next year of some sort still. Not a huge fan of exiting a top 20 of a draft. 6 pickls is enough for 1 draft also. We still need 2 mature bodies for example . Taking 7 picks just leads us down the path of delisting Dom Sheed which I think is a bad idea as we need someone in the WAFL to lead the way still
We're in more trouble than we thought if sheed is pointing the way for us in the wafl

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back