Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

They only used 6 of their 8 picks and 2 of those are 2 of the most speculative players I have ever seen. I would have thought they would target Myles Sewell experienced types.

Players they could strongly develop and get up and running to be ahead of the curve by 2013, but then I guess they have next years draft to do that as well???:confused:

We must all be missing something with Myles Sewell.:confused:

He's been overlooked now by several hundred draft picks and two new expansion teams. Given the success of Barlow and other mature rookies we are all asking.

How come?

We must all be missing something with Myles Sewell.:confused:

He's been overlooked now by several hundred draft picks and two new expansion teams. Given the success of Barlow and other mature rookies we are all asking.

How come?

Body size must be the reason IMO.

Have seen quite a bit of him and he is an out and out star at the VFL level. Cant believe GWS didnt pick him up.

And I agree with him, actually its a bit of a Eagles trait for a while that we don't play / draft small crumbing forwards who can't really play elsewhere.

Frodo Matera was probably the only one and he was an absolute gun. :thumbsu:

But was still a bit of a finals flop.

I'm very happy we avoided the temptation to stock up on small forwards for a second year in a row. They're nice to have, but they don't win premierships.

happy with the psd of wilson looks ready to play and the rookies 2 marking fwds in Hamp and Mcgovern who apparently can play in 5 positions ,houlihan will be given this yr to force his way back to senior list.

I suppose the real question is what do you call genuine?

There are certainly a number of guys on those two lists that are not what I would consider genuine.

Besides the fact Cox is a ruckman, he couldn't take a contested mark against a witches cone...

A number of those players have also been transformed into forwards because of this squad imbalance, Strijk and Hams are two that appear flexible enough to handle the new forward roles.

But my point being the lack of recruiting genuine small/medium forwards, with picks worth a damn.

And people wonder why we have never have a functioning forward line...

And I agree with him, actually its a bit of a Eagles trait for a while that we don't play / draft small crumbing forwards who can't really play elsewhere.

Frodo Matera was probably the only one and he was an absolute gun.:thumbsu:

Tony Evans could run through the midfield, same with Chris Lewis.

Armstrong I suppose was one dimentional but then again he racked up big posessions playing mid in the WAFL and he wasn't going to displace Kerr, Cousins or Judd from our midfield.

So do any other past Eagle small forwards stand out? :rolleyes:
OK. It sounded like you were disagreeing with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Hamp have the potential to play forward and back? Sounds like he's pacy and flexible enough to play a utility role, would be handy to have another person capable of playing as a tall defender on the list.

Exactly. Only Richmond and Hawthorn had picks. WTF??

Is this for their VFL teams? Does this give them any preference to get them on their main lists??

Why are we not doing this???

Teams who have a vacant spot on the rookie list can add a player from their training squad (the "permission to train" list) next year. Not sure of the exact time, but it's around the NAB cup

Teams who have a vacant spot on the rookie list can add a player from their training squad (the "permission to train" list) next year. Not sure of the exact time, but it's around the NAB cup

So, you can leave one rookie spot open, then take 3/4 training squad members. Then upgrade the training squad member to the rookie squad. So, it is some sort of a rookie squad for the rookie squad. Seems like a good idea to me. Though only if you would have been using the final round rookie pick.

So, you can leave one rookie spot open, then take 3/4 training squad members. Then upgrade the training squad member to the rookie squad. So, it is some sort of a rookie squad for the rookie squad. Seems like a good idea to me. Though only if you would have been using the final round rookie pick.

Pretty much spot on

You leave a rookie spot open.

You then have a mini-rookie draft where you select 3 players.

Those 3 players then fight it out over summer and can play in the pre-season games. The club then needs to decide on which player they will take between the nab cup grand final and Rd 1

McGovern is a good pick up . I have watched the Claremont colts and Jeremy has played well. I dont see him as a AFL ruckman but he is a KPP. In the second semi C v EF he did a number on Chalwell. McGovern is very strong in the air and has sticky fingers.

in-dune-part-two-2024-the-often-quoted-words-as-it-was-v0-ubyf47h7gasc1.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back