Rookie Midfielders: Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Any thoughts on Sam Iles? I read he finished third in the Liston 2 years ago and won GC Best and Fairest last year ahead of Swallow and Harris. He is 26 in 2011 so is one of their few senior players. He will have a hard body and won't need to be rested. He also is more likely to be consistent than an 18 year old.

I am Toying (no pun intended) with Swallow, Harris and Isle in my mids. Although concerned about having 3 players from one team in one place as it seems like a recipe for donuts. This means making a choice of 2 out of these 3. I am locking in Harris, so it is down to Swallow 160 V Isle 97.

Any wisdom for this conundrum? Iles seems like the smart choice assuming he is up and about. But is a hard to leave out golden boy Swallow.

First of all, Iles.
Second of all, actually having a similar quandary. Atm have Harris, Iles and Swallow all in my team. Thinking of keeping all three. Then upgrading Swallow round 9ish

Swallow comes into serious consideration now that Mzungu is gone. I also have the extra bit of money. I just think he only has 5 rounds to make his money and is already priced at 40 and i reckon it will be really hard to score well in the GC side for the good players let alone the rookie, first year type players.

I wouldnt have picked Swallow, but now he comes into calculations with the Mzungu and Callinan injuries. Depends on structure.

You're probably the one who gained the most from Mzungu's injury then.

But back on topic of this thread, as the OP states Swallow/Harris etc do not need to be mention as they definitely are not under the radar. Personally, I'll be keeping my eyes on the lions rookies.

You're probably the one who gained the most from Mzungu's injury then.

But back on topic of this thread, as the OP states Swallow/Harris etc do not need to be mention as they definitely are not under the radar. Personally, I'll be keeping my eyes on the lions rookies.

Sarcasm much. But i already did a write up on why Swallow isnt that great pick IMO. He gets 5 price increments in his first 9 rounds where as players like Jarryd Irons get 7. Irons is priced at 20, Swallow is priced at 40. GC players are going to struggle to score anywhere near as good as what they would at other clubs. This is due to a few reasons. Young side with half a team of rookies, will get smashed and we know scores are affected poorly in losing sides/let alone sides that get smashed, is proven that you need players around you to help with scoring (Ablett, Selwood, Bartel, Corey, SJ, Chappy as example) GC obviously don't have that.

If Swallow was at any other club that was top 14 i would think lock in 80 avg. At GC i see that diminishing quite a bit, Swallow doesnt seem a Dter just yet either, from the game i saw against WCE he didnt look that good. So at GC i think the most you can expect him to avg is 70. So that is a 30 point MAX improvment on price.

Will complete later

I think he's right about Swallow as well tbh. Conca is likely a better value pick than Swallow, given he is cheaper and priced lower (at 34) and will probably better. Richmond also has the second last first bye. there's plenty of reasons not to pick Swallow IMO.

I think he's right about Swallow as well tbh. Conca is likely a better value pick than Swallow, given he is cheaper and priced lower (at 34) and will probably better. Richmond also has the second last first bye. there's plenty of reasons not to pick Swallow IMO.

I can't see Conca scoring that well either though..

I can't see Conca scoring that well either though..

Why would you say that??

16 possessions in half a game of footy against a quality hawks team is no easy task.

Played several WAFL games last year and actually got best player against the best team last year which was made up of more than 50% of AFL players. I think he got 27 possessions in this game and like 6-8 marks. Also loves to tackle, is a hard nut.

But i was referring to those 90k players, if you can get enough of them that your happy with than i cant see much point picking Swallow. As i sadi i cant see him avg more than 70 and hes already priced at 40. That means only 5 price increments, im still undecided, by no means have made any lock in decisions this year.

Structure will basically determine who i pick, if i can afford the extra 60k for Swallow than ill pick him, if i cant than ill happily try and find a 90k midfielder if ones available, if one isnt available than ill change my structure. My 4th midfielder, 5th back, 5-6th forward, 2nd ruck determines my structure as we speak. Im unsure on all these positions.

Why would you say that??

16 possessions in half a game of footy against a quality hawks team is no easy task.

Played several WAFL games last year and actually got best player against the best team last year which was made up of more than 50% of AFL players. I think he got 27 possessions in this game and like 6-8 marks. Also loves to tackle, is a hard nut.

But i was referring to those 90k players, if you can get enough of them that your happy with than i cant see much point picking Swallow. As i sadi i cant see him avg more than 70 and hes already priced at 40. That means only 5 price increments, im still undecided, by no means have made any lock in decisions this year.

Structure will basically determine who i pick, if i can afford the extra 60k for Swallow than ill pick him, if i cant than ill happily try and find a 90k midfielder if ones available, if one isnt available than ill change my structure. My 4th midfielder, 5th back, 5-6th forward, 2nd ruck determines my structure as we speak. Im unsure on all these positions.

At that price i want a bit more security than a half of footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which games were those? His 18 point game against Carlton or his 26 point game against Collingwood.:confused:

Looked good against the pies, started in the guts several times and against the top side. Are you saying 26 points is a bad score for half a game?? in which he wouldve got limited time in being his first games and being a new rookie.

Look at other scores from premiums in these games. Scores arnt a fair indication, watching the game is and seeing if he held his own has more weight.

As ive said he performed very strongly as WAFL level against men last year and as i said got BOG for perth against the clear best side in Claremont last year (yes they choked in the GF).

He was also a prominant ball winner in his other WAFL games.

This along with the fact that he had 16 possessions in a half against the strongest side the hawks fielded in the NAB.

I by no means say lock him in, i think Swallow is probably a better pick than him, although he does have only 5 price increments to Concas 7. So even if Conca plays 2 less games he has the same amount of rounds to improve his price. Whether he can score as well (value wise) on his price is another question. But i reckon Conca is best 21 at the tigers and could play those extra 2 games.

The club have also said they will start Conca off HB rotating through the midfield. Guess they really rate his decision making and kicking. So expect him to get some easy ball like against Hawthorn. He's also definitely best 21 and will play pretty much every game IMO. When were getting r*ped against Hawthorn and Adelaide our backline was obviously racking up all the scores.

Having said that, he had ankle surgery and a delayed start to the preseason (joined after Chirstmas break, late Dec early Jan IIRC). That could hurt his scores a bit and he could start slow. Not sure if I'm gonna pick him at his price. We will see. Think he will average around 60-65. Midfield rookies are sure causing a few headaches.

^^^^Hard midfield to get into. Can't see him playing more than 10 games. Apparently Libba is ahead of him anyway.

Clay Beams??

No mention of him on Freako's twitter.

Some other rookie scores ... Stanley 108, Darling 76, Lower 82, McKernan 52, Duigan 19 (HT score).

Some other updates halfway/late in the final quarter ... Puopolo 40*, Smith 59*, Liberatore 49*, Richardson 70*, Moran 19*.

As much as I want Bewick, as I think he will be one of the best cash cows, I don't think I can pick him in because of his shared bye with the Saints and Bulldogs. I have 5 out that round and whilst there isn't more than 2 in any position, it is pretty common once the season starts that you get a few unplanned omissions. I'll be trying to pick the right Port rookie instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie Midfielders: Top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back