Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

]
I didn’t mean it to come across as sooking but that’s ok.

I followed this pretty closely and attended as much of the community engagement things I could and filled in as many feedback things as I could.

While I love that we are established at Arden St and hopefully it’s permanent the way I read all the council stuff was that the oval was for the community and nothing specific about it in relation to NMFC, like if we have preference to use it for a game or practice over the wider community.

I love what they have done in not being evicted, which I guess could have happened. I would just have liked more specific mention of the club being involved.

I got the feeling that the council were pandering to the current residents more than anything. Anyway it might just be the way they need to proceed to get these things through, I’m no expert.

Fair enough mate. Appreciate the post.

I just get so frustrated when people don't Appreciate what a good result we got.

Especially when you consider thst even big rich clubs like Richmond have to jump through the same hurdles, and the likes of Essendon got rolled by their own bowls club and are now copying our model to get Windy Hill up.

Given the amount of work that's gone into this, I get pretty defensive when people minimise it or act like we could have got a better deal somehow.

It's easy to sit and fling shit from the sidelines without any accountability, when you see up close and personal just how much work people put into this stuff, it's quite stunning.

The Easendon nuffs have been wanting the sane stuff for years and they have money to burn.

]

Fair enough mate. Appreciate the post.

I just get so frustrated when people don't Appreciate what a good result we got.

Especially when you consider thst even big rich clubs like Richmond have to jump through the same hurdles, and the likes of Essendon got rolled by their own bowls club and are now copying our model to get Windy Hill up.

Given the amount of work that's gone into this, I get pretty defensive when people minimise it or act like we could have got a better deal somehow.

It's easy to sit and fling s**t from the sidelines without any accountability, when you see up close and personal just how much work people put into this stuff, it's quite stunning.

The Easendon nuffs have been wanting the sane stuff for years and they have money to burn.

Essendons training ground is in a cow paddock in an industrial estate behind the airport. No one goes there.

As Arden St is now a regular fixture on the AFLW calendar, I don't think a small grandstand is unreasonable from fans.

If St Kilda can do it, in millions in debt, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect we can't either.

1671398544290.png

Clearly the club has put in a lot of work and you’re correct in that it should be lauded for doing a great job.

The Essendon situation is mainly the reason I would have liked a bit more in writing. Windy Hill is a nice oval and space yet in order to keep up they had to move. If the new oval isn’t able to be used by the club are we going to find ourselves in a similar situation in the future where the space is just not enough. I suspect the clubs view was that all it needed was the space to be an oval rather than more flats, and if so that’s fantastic.

If the club had been thinking about building any kind of ‘grandstand’ or covered seating around either oval, the time to address that would have been in the planning stage.

Essendons training ground is in a cow paddock in an industrial estate behind the airport. No one goes there.

As Arden St is now a regular fixture on the AFLW calendar, I don't think a small grandstand is unreasonable from fans.

If St Kilda can do it, in millions in debt, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect we can't either.

View attachment 1575376

Look to see where the funding comes from before jumping to the conclusion its the footy club.

From Sonja’s latest email:

"The stage 2 redevelopment of our Arden St headquarters was finally completed in November. The Huddle unveiled its world-class education centre featuring cutting-edge technology. The space will house an Australian-first immersive AFL-themed program, Game Day.

The redevelopment also includes new facilities to enable AFLW, VFL and VFLW games to be hosted at the ground well into the future. The club is now developing plans for the next phase of Arden St – stay tuned for news on that in 2023"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not unpossible that we might get a grandstand or some covered seating at Arden St but I doubt it will happen before the second oval is created. The residents won't cop a loss of greenspace before more is provided.

This.

"The stage 2 redevelopment of our Arden St headquarters was finally completed in November. The Huddle unveiled its world-class education centre featuring cutting-edge technology. The space will house an Australian-first immersive AFL-themed program, Game Day.

The redevelopment also includes new facilities to enable AFLW, VFL and VFLW games to be hosted at the ground well into the future. The club is now developing plans for the next phase of Arden St – stay tuned for news on that in 2023"

Give us money for a stand Dictator Dan!

I think we all just need to learn how to read between the lines as this part of Sonja's email speaks volumes. AKA It's Happening!!!

View attachment 1575376
How ****ing dare you! You've got a lot of nerve having these lofty expections, bucko. The entitlement of our supporters is off the charts...smh.

Get him SBTB!!!

Bigger chance of me playing for North than us getting a grandstand at Arden St for a handful of VFL and AFLW games that barely fill the ground as it is.

The whole pitch for us to get resources and funding is community benefit. If that's the price of staying at Arden St long-term then so be it.

Amenities will improve as the area is developed. There will be cafe carts as far as the eye can see in a few years time.

Elected official taking the piss on a constituent's interests? Any more details?
I remember them posting about it at the time actually. Was a very good post and one of the ones that made me a bit sceptical about the expectation that the second oval was signed and sealed as an asset for us to use at will.

The Victorian Planning Association are having a series of information sessions via zoom meetings as part of the next feedback gathering. I joined in yesterday and there would have been around 10 participants and 3 members of the VPA. I would encourage as many of you that are interested to join in and have your say, I can't find the details but there are a couple more coming up this week.

While I think this is a massive win for the club I must admit that they didn't inspire much confidence. The parking to me seems inadequate, it always has been and they seem to be aiming at providing for 18% car ownership for the area and some kind of 'hierarchical' parking system (the site is down so I can't find the relevant passages but if you search for the parking section someone smarter than me might be able to decipher it better). When I asked about match day parking the lady reckoned there would be some street parking (which already is inadequate let alone with 30,000 more residents), and that other forms of transport would be available including some that hadn't been invented yet (which seemed ******* bizarre to me).

I also asked if there was any specific plans with upgrading any of the club facilities and it didn't seem that they featured in the plans. There is a guarantee that they keep the current footprint which is great but one of the VPA ladies made a quip about not guaranteeing that they wouldn't be moved to Tassie (which was pretty poor form). Also there was a dude who was specifically asking whether the new oval (flood/water catchment) would be an asset NMFC got preference for using which they denied, so there is some negative community feedback.

The concern I have is that they will pander to the views of a few loud-mouthed locals when in reality 90% of the people who will be living there haven't moved in yet. I get that it is a delicate balance for the council types to respect all viewpoints but I also think that this is a time when the club really need to push hard. I think the more people who push the clubs wagon in these things the better we will be down the track so I encourage everyone to get involved.

You can also contact this guy for info or to give feedback to.

David.housden@vpa.vic.gov.au

Probably what has coloured my view a little was how dismissive the councillors seemed toward the club in the community engagement IMO. There was no catering for parking and I had one make a jibe about us moving to Tassie, so I guess I was after something more concrete.
Dedicating too much space to parking kills cities, better to just focus on getting the new train station going

Dedicating too much space to parking kills cities, better to just focus on getting the new train station going
That seemed to be the idea. Iirc they also mentioned having a form of PT that hadn’t been invented yet, which I found quite bizarre.

It might’ve been a type we don’t have here yet but still struck me as a strange thing to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back