Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

There was an artist's impression, so that's good enough for me. Would have like more smiley pedestrians though.
ah, i remember seeing an map with an area that was green, but didn't remember it specifically being labelled an oval.

If there was a coffee stand at Arden St that was only able to make decent money when pre season training or games are on, would a cup of coffee have to cost at least $10 and would you be happy to pay that much?
When the Arden redevelopment kicks off there’s going to be shitloads of tradies working right near the ground. They have been known to like buying a coffee and an egg & bacon roll or two. Then, as the new workers and residents move in there will be thousands of extra people right near Arden st.
Plus the North supporters that go to games and/or training as well as those that come down to Arden st to go to the Roo shop etc.
It doesn’t have to be anything too fancy. Maybe align it with the Huddle and provide job training/work experience (coffee making, food prep, customer service etc). Bang out some coffees and some food with some seats overlooking the oval. Anything that encourages supporters and local residents/workers to spend time and money at the club is something to be encouraged.

whatever happened to the cafe on the corner of Dryburgh and Victoria?
bloke used to make the best, massive breakfast roll. Last time i drove past it had shut down :(

whatever happened to the cafe on the corner of Dryburgh and Victoria?
bloke used to make the best, massive breakfast roll. Last time i drove past it had shut down :(
It's a lil sandwich shop, or at least was at the start of 2022 when I lived on the corner there

Decent Bain Marie kinda stuff there, not amazing but was usually busy with tradies anyway

When the Arden redevelopment kicks off there’s going to be shitloads of tradies working right near the ground. They have been known to like buying a coffee and an egg & bacon roll or two. Then, as the new workers and residents move in there will be thousands of extra people right near Arden st.
Plus the North supporters that go to games and/or training as well as those that come down to Arden st to go to the Roo shop etc.
It doesn’t have to be anything too fancy. Maybe align it with the Huddle and provide job training/work experience (coffee making, food prep, customer service etc). Bang out some coffees and some food with some seats overlooking the oval. Anything that encourages supporters and local residents/workers to spend time and money at the club is something to be encouraged.
Sounds like a license to print money. Who's willing to invest?

Dedicating too much space to parking kills cities, better to just focus on getting the new train station going
The station will be completed in around 18-24 months time. The metro tunnel is flying along. Many underground stations are almost complete now. An infrastructure job thats way ahead of schedule believe it or not

City of melbourne are miles off from approving the development. They have lost so much coin the last 2 years. Its not even in the councils foresight. Plus theres no need to be building hi rise residential buildings if international travel/migration is still way down on previous years. Its years and years and years away. If it is approved in the next 5 years i’ll be surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The station will be completed in around 18-24 months time. The metro tunnel is flying along. Many underground stations are almost complete now. An infrastructure job thats way ahead of schedule believe it or not

Call me a cynic but I would expect the state government will time completion of this project to be within 12 months of the next election which is slated for November 2026. Maybe they'll allow it to open 18 months out to allow time for any initial teething problems to be sorted. So not before May 2025.

Call me a cynic but I would expect the state government will time completion of this project to be within 12 months of the next election which is slated for November 2026. Maybe they'll allow it to open 18 months out to allow time for any initial teething problems to be sorted. So not before May 2025.
Yeh you’re a cynic. The metro rail
Will 100% be operational in 2025. They are laying tracks, its on like donkey kong. Ahead of schedule.

The west gate, if there was no **** up with PFAS and the primary contractor pointing fingers and acting like dumb campaigners (john holland, cbp and co) tendering a job without due diligence.. the west gate would be on track too but that’ll be the election one. Well they all will be essentially, all major infrastructure will be. ****, the state needed it to be honest.

Edit: For the last 15 years, the west gate had had 24 hr works on it. When they widened the bridge it also ****ed the bridge. So to have ALL trucks off the bridge is only going to pay itself off as less maintenance will be required.

Anyway. Until people start migrating back to australia, the development of the arden project will not go ahead. Its in the pipeline but there is no need for it in the immediate future

As i said, last i saw was a map with green and not "north melbourne's second oval".
I’ll have to dig up the article unless GR can come through

But recall reading we would have a second oval with bigger dimensions than our current one. Which would be that map with the green part you speak of

This is from back in 2017, I'm sure it's changed a bit since…
090517_redevelopment_1.jpg

I’ll have to dig up the article unless GR can come through

But recall reading we would have a second oval with bigger dimensions than our current one. Which would be that map with the green part you speak of

It's not "our" oval.

People really need to stop referring to it as such.

This oval and this space is as much ours as the North Melbourne pool is.

We may never use it.

If you look at the design, it's actually 2 x soccer pitches and a oval integrated into one field - i.e an astro turf playing field.

We won't be training on something like that, it's more a compensation for local residents given the Arden St Oval (a public oval) has been taken over by a professional sporting side.

In the Draft Structure Plan it's listed as Open Space / Recreation Area. From memory when this came out the club were somewhat disappointed.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 4.14.01 pm.png

Last edited:
In the Draft Structure Plan it's listed as Open Space / Recreation Area. From memory when this came out the club were somewhat disappointed.

View attachment 1593381View attachment 1593382

This is all in the bin essentially.

What hasn't been listed in this, is the fact the largest health infrastructure project in Australian history is being built around what is marked as the proposed innovation hub.

Everything around it will be reviewed and will make way for the requirements of the new RMH and RWH.

I've marked the oval and the entrance to the new station in the below render.

This will be one of the most expensive hospitals in the world to be built on completion of it's two stages.

1674624536102.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back