Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I genuinely cringed when he kneed a 20m pass to Tex along the ground at a key moment. He's been one of my favourite players.

Honestly, I could have cried. I've been a big fan of Sloane over the years, and although it's clear the game has gone past him now, I genuinely thought he would get up for his milestone match. Then, when it didn't happen, I thought he could have a nice moment at the end and maybe contribute to winning the match. But no. He just hasn't got it anymore.

At least Keays did him a solid and ensured Rory wouldn't have the worst I50 entry of the day :(

So many Twitter/Instagram comments are basically ‘why couldn’t the boys raise for Sloaney in his 250th?’

Little do they know that part of the reason they couldn’t is the guy they’re talking about

Some milestone games are overated. This was one of them. Half the team haven't played that much football with him.

Tex's milestone was a bit different given the opposition

Last edited:
Need the club to realise it first. Rory is on record saying he’ll play as long as he’s wanted
It’s getting harder to justify.

In the same way that new contracts are given to players that the coaches don’t pick, I’m really starting to think he won’t be extended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fork is stuck so far in his body it has an exit wound on his arse.
I’ve said it before but Hately/Berry/Schoenberg would all be able to match his output. Even give Dowling a crack who cares about this season now anyway

Playing Sloane has cost us games, we've not been that far away recently. And in order to prove to us dimwits that Rory is still worthy of a bit part, they've made him a major player and he's simply a liability.

Last edited:
Started at opening bounce and won the clearance. Ended up in a goal. Unfortunately, that was pretty much it.

the outcome of a singular event that identifies an overarching philosophical handicap is irrelevant. Unless, on average, it speaks to something different. Which, as you say, it doesn't.

Tell me, do you prefer to continue to protect his ego ahead of driving for success for the other 21? What's more important to you, Rory or success?

He's so cooked that he's practically cremated. I love Sloane, he's a legend of our club, but watching him now is just sad.

Somebody at the club has to give him the word because this can't go on. It's bad for the club and bad for the man himself. Announce his retirement, give him a send off game in front of the fans at AO then club and player can start moving on.

I'd add Smith to that basket, too, but I think he's got another year on his contract.

the outcome of a singular event that identifies an overarching philosophical handicap is irrelevant. Unless, on average, it speaks to something different. Which, as you say, it doesn't.

Tell me, do you prefer to continue to protect his ego ahead of driving for success for the other 21? What's more important to you, Rory or success?
I had already said he shouldn’t have played but understood why the club would honour his 250th (like he’s only our ninth ever player to reach that Milestone). I also kind of respect that he appeared and won that first clearance. Nice touch. But after that he needed to be shuffled to forward pocket, and Pedlar and Rachele needed to be rotated through the middle. Sloane has been honoured and now the hard decisions must be made.

I still can’t believe you can finish with 59% disposal efficiency with 6 kicks 11 handballs. Too slow or lost his skill?

probably zero effective kicks and 1 ineffective handball. His value has always been based upon huge effort and willpower, as soon as his body failed him, he was done. His skill level has always been mediocre.

I had already said he shouldn’t have played but understood why the club would honour his 250th (like he’s only our ninth ever player to reach that Milestone). I also kind of respect that he appeared and won that first clearance. Nice touch. But after that he needed to be shuffled to forward pocket, and Pedlar and Rachele needed to be rotated through the middle. Sloane has been honoured and now the hard decisions must be made.

if we were going to make decisions (ps It's not a hard one), then we wouldn't have continued playing him as 1 of our 4 mids. The coaches value what he's doing in there. Let that sink in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back