Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

There's something which doesn't show up on the stats sheet and that's leadership.

What Sloane offers here is unquantifiable, but the club rates it at 'x', and this board generally rates it as 'y'.

The club may be correct, but when your best mate is the midfield coach it makes it a little bit hard for us to just trust that the club doesn't hand a blind spot.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's something which doesn't show up on the stats sheet and that's leadership.

What Sloane offers here is unquantifiable, but the club rates it at 'x', and this board generally rates it as 'y'.

The club may be correct, but when your best mate is the midfield coach it makes it a little bit hard for us to just trust that the club doesn't hand a blind spot.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Very true. VB also got alot of games he didn't deserve at the tail end because of his pointing and yelling skills.

Why can we all see what list management can't???!!!
They can see it.. its exactly what they want.. and thats the issue.

These dumbfxxks actually think Keays and Sloane ARE the answer.

They said at the start of the year that sloane and keays would be moved out of the midfield.. nicksy himself even said it would be permenant and that they cant go back to them.. one sniff of a top 8 finish and thats was thrown straight out the window.

But its just strange.. they are actually that stupid and delusional that they cant even see that the reason they had gotten into that top 8 chance was due to getting sloane and keays out of the middle.. then as soon as they turned back to them and got them back into the bulk of the CB’s its all turned to sh*t and they’ve dropped out of that top 8 position..

Surely one of the morons in there is going “maybe this sloane and keays back in to the midfield is whats caused our current woes”..

All it really tells you is that the people currently in charge at the club simply arent up to it, they are blind to it (or just simply too arrogant to recognise) because they havent got the advantage of looking from the outside in and they arent the people we need moving forward.

Keays and sloane are like crack to them and they are the crackwhores.. they gave up their reliance on them and promised they wouldnt return to it.. but it was all lies.. and at the first opportunity they could they returned to them..

Until they are completely removed from the list or the entire selection and coaching dept is removed.. nothing will change.

They have proven they cannot be trusted.. their word is meaningless.

They’ve done less selection changes and had less debut’s than the clubs leading the ladder..

Damning no matter what why you look at it.

Incorrect
View attachment 1742456

For someone who should already be retired he's getting way too many CBA's.
So from looking at the figures: In only TWO rounds (Rounds 8 and 9) has Sloane been ranked in the top 3 players to attend CBA's. In all the other rounds he has been the fourth used player (or often lower). I would say that's pretty indicative of someone on the outer rather than someone considered a prime mover?

Round 1: Laird, Berry, Schoenberg, Soligo, Rachele
Round 2: Same as above
Round 3: Laird Dawson Rachele Berry
Round 4: Laird Dawson Berry Rachele
Round 5: Laird Dawson Rachele
Round 6: Same as above
Round 7: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 8" Laird Dawson Sloane Soligo
Round 9: Same as above
Round 10: Laird Dawson Berry Pedlar
Round 11: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 12: Same as above
Round 13: Laird Dawson Keays Pedlar
Round 15: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 16: Laird Dawson Rachele Pedlar
Round 17: Laird Dawson Rachele Schoenberg Pedlar
Round 18: Dawson Keays Laird

Last edited:
So from looking at the figures: In only TWO rounds (Rounds 8 and 9) has Sloane been ranked in the top 3 players to attend CBA's. In all the other rounds he has been the fourth used player (or often lower). I would say that's pretty indicative of someone on the outer rather than someone considered a prime mover?

Round 1: Laird, Berry, Schoenberg, Soligo, Rachele
Round 2: Same as above
Round 3: Laird Dawson Rachele Berry
Round 4: Laird Dawson Berry Rachele
Round 5: Laird Dawson Rachele
Round 6: Same as above
Round 7: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 8" Laird Dawson Sloane Soligo
Round 9: Same as above
Round 10: Laird Dawson Berry Pedlar
Round 11: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 12: Same as above
Round 13: Laird Dawson Keays Pedlar
Round 15: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 16: Laird Dawson Rachele Pedlar
Round 17: Laird Dawson Rachele Schoenberg Pedlar
Round 18: Dawson Keays Laird
“Barely played” have a look at the raw numbers, that’s clearly wrong. Just accept it rather than trying to spin it, no one’s argued he’s been in the top 3 mids all season. Big difference between being the 4th mid to “barely played”.

And how you got a like for a bullshit post says a lot about the poster.

“Barely played” have a look at the raw numbers, that’s clearly wrong. Just accept it rather than trying to spin it, no one’s argued he’s been in the top 3 mids all season. Big difference between being the 4th mid to “barely played”.

He's attending about 1 in 3 CBAs - third at the club and comparable to Keays and Rachele. So yep, not 'barely played', but he's also not a full time midfielder.

He's attending about 1 in 3 CBAs - third at the club and comparable to Keays and Rachele. So yep, not 'barely played', but he's also not a full time midfielder.
Has anyone said he’s a full time midfielder? But when he’s not been in the middle he’s been on the wing, so in essence he has been.

Given he can’t keep up, he shouldn’t be playing let alone anywhere near the midfield.

Has anyone said he’s a full time midfielder? But when he’s not been in the middle he’s been on the wing, so in essence he has been.

Given he can’t keep up, he shouldn’t be playing let alone anywhere near the midfield.
Fair enough if you consider wing to be midfield - it obviously is, but it's not attending CBAs. But yes I agree with you, Sloane is still playing a fair amount of midfield, just less than he has in any previous year because there's an obvious emphasis on reducing his midfield time at the tail end of his career.

Trust you to worry about who likes what. Is that what drives your day George? :rolleyes: Ok, so "barely played" was a stretch, but he wasn't the "go to" that many of you are incorrectly claiming. He wasn't in the top 3 or 4 played through the midfield for the majority of the season, which means Nicks clearly didn't rank him as highly as you claim he does.

This is clearly not right evidenced by the fact he has barely played in the middle for most of this year. As the kids have tired, he’s been getting more time.

What are you on about?

Sloane has attended 167 Centre Bounces. Discounting ruckman he is 3rd at our club.

From round 3 to 18 he has attended at least 25% of Centre Bounces 14 of 15 games. The game he didn't he attended 22%.

His time in the middle has been very consistent from round 3 to now.

He wasn't in the top 3 or 4 played through the midfield for the majority of the season, which means Nicks clearly didn't rank him as highly as you claim he does.

Once more. You are 100% wrong.

Not counting ruck man - he is 3rd for CBA's in 2023 only behind Laird and Dawson and has more than Keays, Rachele, Soligo, Schoenberg, Berry.

For Proof - CBA'S:

Laird - 386
Dawson - 330

Sloane - 167
Keays - 153
Rachele - 138
Soligo - 106

Berry - 65
Pedlar - 65
Schoenberg - 46

Rankine - 11
Crouch - 11
Jones - 7

Once more. You are 100% wrong.

Not counting ruck man - he is 3rd for CBA's in 2023 only behind Laird and Dawson and has more than Keays, Rachele, Soligo, Schoenberg, Berry.

For Proof - CBA'S:

Laird - 386
Dawson - 330

Sloane - 167
Keays - 153
Rachele - 138
Soligo - 106

Berry - 65
Pedlar - 65
Schoenberg - 46

Rankine - 11
Crouch - 11
Jones - 7
This is not right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not right.
It's definitely right. See here for evidence: https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/?team=ADE&season=2023

Basically since round 3 Sloane has consistently done around 25-50% of CBAs each week, depending on the week. Lowest is 22%, highest is 57%. In total he has the third most attendances, and we have four players essentially sharing that third midfielder spot with Laird and Dawson almost always in there.

It's definitely right. See here for evidence: https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/?team=ADE&season=2023

Basically since round 3 Sloane has consistently done around 25-50% of CBAs each week, depending on the week. Lowest is 22%, highest is 57%. In total he has the third most attendances, and we have four players essentially sharing that third midfielder spot with Laird and Dawson almost always in there.
So... he averages 34% at CBAs yet holds the third most attendances? How does that work?

So... he averages 34% at CBAs yet holds the third most attendances? How does that work?
Two reasons: 34% is the number of attendances Sloane personally has had in the games in which he was selected. He has played every game, so 34% of his CBAs is a higher number than some players. The other reason is that we have quite a few players sharing that 3rd midfielder role, so even though he's only attending a quarter to a half of CBAs it's still more than Rachele, Soligo, Pedlar and Keays who are used less consistently.

My lord. The pure confidence of your ignorance.
Hands up, I've obviously buggered up my calculations - or completely misunderstand it and I'm here for you to explain it. I'm just trying to get my head around it, because even without the stats, I would have said he'd attended far less centre bounces than in previous years and was definitely not our go to.

Hands up, I've obviously buggered up my calculations - or completely misunderstand it and I'm here for you to explain it. I'm just trying to get my head around it, because even without the stats, I would have said he'd attended far less centre bounces than in previous years and was definitely not our go to.
This is true. He's still attended the third most because we have a deeper rotation than in previous years. There's six players who have attended 100+ CBAs this year and aren't ruckmen. Last year it was 5, 2021 it was 4, and that's before the season is finished (Pedlar or Schoenberg could still get there). Sloane is just... third. He's not attending every CBA just because he's the third most used.

Fair enough if you consider wing to be midfield - it obviously is, but it's not attending CBAs. But yes I agree with you, Sloane is still playing a fair amount of midfield, just less than he has in any previous year because there's an obvious emphasis on reducing his midfield time at the tail end of his career.

Part of the problem also stems from the fact that if Sloane is within 30m of any ruck contest, ROB always feels the need to hit up Sloane. Hes his(ROBS)number 1 target choice regardless of position,if its the right option or level of dificulty of the tap.

He is in there a lot less. In 2021 he attended 78% of the CBA’s in the games he played. This year that is only 34%
So he is being used a lot less but he is still being used 3rd most often (excluding ROB)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He is in there a lot less. In 2021 he attended 78% of the CBA’s in the games he played. This year that is only 34%
So he is being used a lot less but he is still being used 3rd most often (excluding ROB)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The average dropped significantly in the first half of the season, and has been significantly increased in the second. Since the Geelong game he's had 40 plus percent of CBAs on seven occasions, fifty plus on three.

A more meaningful contribution to his drop in CBAs than any coaching commitment to turning over the midfield is that he's capable of playing less of the game: he now only plays 70 percent of the game, down from 82 percent in 2021.

Trust you to worry about who likes what. Is that what drives your day George? :rolleyes: Ok, so "barely played" was a stretch, but he wasn't the "go to" that many of you are incorrectly claiming. He wasn't in the top 3 or 4 played through the midfield for the majority of the season, which means Nicks clearly didn't rank him as highly as you claim he does.
I can’t help it if I’m observant and the poster in question is a serial liker of sucky posts, no matter even if incorrect.

A “stretch”? It was blatantly incorrect and instead of admitting it you’ve danced around it.

No one has said he was the “go to” mid, but from rd 3 onwards he has attended a large number of centre bounces and has been in our top 4 mids for CBA on a number of occasions.

Makes you wonder, if his TOG wasn’t being managed, how many more would he have attended if he was physically capable? Which then leads to the question, how his managed minutes impacted the ability of the rest of team and midfield to run out games given they are picking up his slack?

Incorrect
View attachment 1742456

For someone who should already be retired he's getting way too many CBA's.
So Sloane started outside the midfield rotation but has a dominate last quarter in the midfield against Port Power then Rachele and Soligo tired late in the season so Nick relies on Keays and Sloane again which is understandable given the poor form of Berry and Schoenberg but then Schoenberg get dropped after the Essendon game given he was very good playing in the midfield as the sub and taking some of Sloane's midfield time.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back