Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Go have a listen to Rory Sloanes interview on 5aa today....he is almost in complete denial about the midfield problem.
On top of that, the pressure he is putting on the club to resign him for next year when he speaks about them having to lock the doors of the club on him, is so self-centred. Think of what is best for the team Rory, you were once the captain of the Adelaide Football Club.
I fear that if we delist him this year, it will turn into another Daniel Talia situation.
I am starting to lose alot of respect for him, i hope the club makes the decision for him end of year and saves him from himself....

Last edited:
So from looking at the figures: In only TWO rounds (Rounds 8 and 9) has Sloane been ranked in the top 3 players to attend CBA's. In all the other rounds he has been the fourth used player (or often lower). I would say that's pretty indicative of someone on the outer rather than someone considered a prime mover?

Round 1: Laird, Berry, Schoenberg, Soligo, Rachele
Round 2: Same as above
Round 3: Laird Dawson Rachele Berry
Round 4: Laird Dawson Berry Rachele
Round 5: Laird Dawson Rachele
Round 6: Same as above
Round 7: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 8" Laird Dawson Sloane Soligo
Round 9: Same as above
Round 10: Laird Dawson Berry Pedlar
Round 11: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 12: Same as above
Round 13: Laird Dawson Keays Pedlar
Round 15: Laird Dawson Keays
Round 16: Laird Dawson Rachele Pedlar
Round 17: Laird Dawson Rachele Schoenberg Pedlar
Round 18: Dawson Keays Laird
sloane has the 3rd most center bounce attendances for the year behind laird and Dawson.

Go have a listen to Rory Sloanes interview on 5aa today....he is almost in complete denial about the midfield problem.
On top of that, the pressure he is putting on the club to resign him for next year when he speaks about them having to lock the doors of the club on him, is so self-centred. Think of what is best for the team Rory, you were once the captain of the Adelaide Football Club.
I fear that if we delist him this year, it will turn into another Daniel Talia situation.
I am starting to lose alot of respect for him, i hope the club makes the decision for him end of year and saves him from himself....
What did he say?

What did he say?

Just in the salty manner that he responded to Rowe's hard hitting questions re the midfield, that we couldnt continue to keep running the same midfield mix. He even said in response that he wanted to be around the ball MORE in that last quarter. Claimed Pedlar had been in the centre square alot in the past month, which is just factually incorrect. Sounded very salty about Rowe's opinion, said if we won the game on the weekend we are sitting 6th so we are not far off it and that people often forget how good we have played this year after 1 or 2 losses. When asked if we should run the same midfield this week, his first response was "i dont know" and afterwards said "maybe we can run 1 extra through the midfield at times during the game....Sloane sounds very entitled and he is acting like he is bigger than the club.

Just in the salty manner that he responded to Rowe's hard hitting questions re the midfield, that we couldnt continue to keep running the same midfield mix. He even said in response that he wanted to be around the ball MORE in that last quarter. Claimed Pedlar had been in the centre square alot in the past month, which is just factually incorrect. Sounded very salty about Rowe's opinion, said if we won the game on the weekend we are sitting 6th so we are not far off it and that people often forget how good we have played this year after 1 or 2 losses. When asked if we should run the same midfield this week, his first response was "i dont know" and afterwards said "maybe we can run 1 extra through the midfield at times during the game....Sloane sounds very entitled and he is acting like he is bigger than the club.
Incorrect?
1689757809373.png

An average of 14% for the year? Its not enough centre bounces mate.
The last 4 weeks, 5% last week, 25% against the bombers, 11% against collingwood?
Woop dee doo 42% vs North Melbourne, pretty clear why he got a good run in there that week, because Nicks doesnt rate North.
Nicks needs to trust Pedlar, Soligo & Rachele with more midfield minutes if he wants to keep his job.

An average of 14% for the year? Its not enough centre bounces mate.
The last 4 weeks, 5% last week, 25% against the bombers, 11% against collingwood?
Woop dee doo 42% vs North Melbourne, pretty clear why he got a good run in there that week, because Nicks doesnt rate North.
Nicks needs to trust Pedlar, Soligo & Rachele with more midfield minutes if he wants to keep his job.
You said Sloane mentioned the last month or so??

In sloane defense (and I agree he’s done) he is just really clear he loves the game and wants to play as long as he can.
in some ways he’s reducing pressure on the club as he’s making it 100% their call. If/when they make it, I’m sure he will go gracefully. But he’s doing something he loves, making good money and even just being around the boys Mon-Fri would be so fulfilling to him.

by being so clear imo it is really just saying to the club- “I’m here for life if you let me, you guys tell me when it’s over”. He’s like a kid at the playground- except he won’t have a tantrum at home time.

and that’s fine. It’s consistent with the personality that endeared him to fans earlier in his career.

any dissent should be aimed at the club

In sloane defense (and I agree he’s done) he is just really clear he loves the game and wants to play as long as he can.
in some ways he’s reducing pressure on the club as he’s making it 100% their call. If/when they make it, I’m sure he will go gracefully. But he’s doing something he loves, making good money and even just being around the boys Mon-Fri would be so fulfilling to him.

by being so clear imo it is really just saying to the club- “I’m here for life if you let me, you guys tell me when it’s over”. He’s like a kid at the playground- except he won’t have a tantrum at home time.

and that’s fine. It’s consistent with the personality that endeared him to fans earlier in his career.

any dissent should be aimed at the club

Absolutely. Its 100% on the club (especially Nicks) to make that decision.

100% can't blame Sloane. Who can blame professional athlete for wanting to extend the dream.

EDIT - Not to mention its not fair having a crack at a player talking positive bullshit in a radio interview.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Silvers interview in the Sunday Mail this morning. On Tex and Rory:

"Because they're both in their 30s, we hadn't started official contract conversations until just after the bye. Those discussions are ongoing."

With list spots looking a bit tight, we Shouldn't be signing either until after trade week. Never know what opportunity might pop up. And if they were to choose to accept a free agent offer, who could blame them. Tex could potentially win a flag at a club like Pies or Demons. Manage him properly and he could average 4 goals a game.

Should be some more chatter this week with Kane coming out pretty strong tonight on footy classified saying Crows can’t have Rory try to guilt them into giving him a ‘club great’ extra year and they need to tell him it’s over.
Saw that, finally someone in the media has said it.

If that footage wasn’t enough, they should do a collage with the GWS and Essendon highlights.

And that footage saying he won’t retire, he would need to be delist aren’t the words of a club great looking after the club, it’s of someone looking after themselves, what’s Nicks say “prioritise others”, well if Sloane won’t we have to do it for him, he’s said we will have to anyway.

No coach or anyone on list management can watch his recent form and say he should play on, they just can’t.

Saw that, finally someone in the media has said it.

If that footage wasn’t enough, they should do a collage with the GWS and Essendon highlights.

And that footage saying he won’t retire, he would need to be delist aren’t the words of a club great looking after the club, it’s of someone looking after themselves, what’s Nicks say “prioritise others”, well if Sloane won’t we have to do it for him, he’s said we will have to anyway.

No coach or anyone on list management can watch his recent form and say he should play on, they just can’t.
Yeah it’s cringe, every time Sloane says that “have to be delisted” line he’s actually just baiting the club fully aware that he’s Bambi and the club won’t shoot Bambi

The worry for Sloane on the weekend is that he actually played as well as he has in a while. Some nice grabs, seemed to be moving OK.

But even playing well he got caught, fumbled, made skill errors. He might realise that what he dished up on the weekend is as good as it's going to get.

The worry for Sloane on the weekend is that he actually played as well as he has in a while. Some nice grabs, seemed to be moving OK.

But even playing well he got caught, fumbled, made skill errors. He might realise that what he dished up on the weekend is as good as it's going to get.
The play in the last summed up where he's at - great contested mark going back with the flight in defence, only to lace out a Melbourne player from the kick. The commitment and courage is still there, but the skills & game speed have dropped off to the point where it's become a liability (and realistically isn't going to get better).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back