Ross Lyon is synonymous with Ugly football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is this rubbish about underestimating the opponent in an elimination final? Geelong are one of the greatest teams ever and didn't get to where they are by underestimating anybody.

Geelong showed their hand yesterday, was an impressive win and they will be hard to beat should we meet them again.

Actually Geelong underestimate constantly. I dont agree they did it in last years final, Fremantle just came with a great gameplan to dismantle the way cats played. But Geelongs worst games this year have been against the below average teams; the fact that they struggled to put GWS and Bulldogs away should tell you something (not to mention Brisbane.) Geelong dont underestimate good teams, but they obviously couldnt give a toss when playing the ones on the low end of the ladder.

He promotes his teams strengths and then uses his lesser types to blunt the oppositions strengths.

It's tactics 101 stuff.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have the talent available at Freo that he had when he arrived at StKilda in 2007.

He is doomed to fail and set back Freo's future development in the process.

Well are you a smart person? Under Ross Lyon, Freo have been a well drilled side. Better than under the Chris Connolly and Mark Harvey Days.

I have Said this before and I will say this again. I would be happy For freo to get 4 consecutive 8th placed finishes with elimination finals losses. Already I know they will do more than that. This is a club that has made finals in 4 out of 18 years. Freo have never made finals in consecutive years and are very likely to do it this year.

If you think Ross Lyon will set back Freos development when leaves freo in in 2015 with an Ageing squad Just like how he did with the saints at the end of 2011, you are sadly mistaken. Go look at the back bone of freo, the 2008 Draft. Stephen hill, Nick Suban, Zac Clarke, Michael Walters, Matt De boer and Clancee Pearce are all 18 in 2008, all turned 22 in 2012 and will be all 25 in 2015. Yes an ageing squad indeed.:rolleyes:

Also your going to Love this. To even kill off your theory that Ross Lyon cant develop players. This season freo has given début games to Jack Hannath, Viv Mitchie, Matt Tarberner and Tanner Smith.

Last season under Ross Lyons 1st season, Lachie Neale, Hayden Crozier, Cam Sutcliffe and Tom Sheridan all got their 1st games and were all from the 2011 draft.

Ross Lyon's history at the Saints is a history of not developing newbies.

Grant Thomas did all of that work. Ross Lyon developed a game plan but the Saints have one of the worst lists now because he did nothing to recruit and blood quality new players.

The excuse is that he went all out for a Premiership but you can do both absolutely.

I hope for Freos sake he doesn't make that mistake again. I don't really follow Freo so I hope from the names you have mentioned, that indicates a different attitude.

Grant Thomas did all of that work. Ross Lyon developed a game plan but the Saints have one of the worst lists now because he did nothing to recruit and blood quality new players.

The excuse is that he went all out for a Premiership but you can do both absolutely.

I hope for Freos sake he doesn't make that mistake again. I don't really follow Freo so I hope from the names you have mentioned, that indicates a different attitude.

did you read my post? The post above yours post number #129 if not I will say it again.

Freo this season has already blooded 4 players, Hannath, Tarberener, Tanner Smith and Viv Michie. Last season they debuted all 4 players from the 2011 draft: Lachie Neale, Hayden Crozier, Cam Sutcliffe and Tom Sheridan

My views on this are well known, and well documented. Suffice to say I will not sympathise with Freo fans in 5 years' time, when they have zero premierships still, and will have wasted that time watching turgid, negative football that goes nowhere.

Maybe Scott Watters will be ready by then to accept the massive clean-up job that will be needed at Freo.

Meanwhile, Mark Harvey keeps his reputation intact and stays winning in Brisbane. This entire situation to me is hilarious.

He was highly influential at the Swans when they played ugly football, he took "ugly" football to new levels at St Kilda, and has done the same at Freo. It is ugly to watch. Does he have any other tricks in hus repertoire?

I am just so glad I am not a Dockers supporter because it would turn me off football.
Apart from the fact that you have conspicuously failed to define "ugly" football (just like every other thread that has raised that meaningless term) you may well have a point.

Meanwhile, Mark Harvey keeps his reputation intact and stays winning in Brisbane. This entire situation to me is hilarious.

Remind me how Harvey is winning at Brisbane again?

Last time I checked they were only a win from being in the bottom four and haven't been anywhere near the 8 for the last four years.

He got replaced by a better coach. Freo are the winners here.

Remind me how Harvey is winning at Brisbane again?

Last time I checked they were only a win from being in the bottom four and haven't been anywhere near the 8 for the last four years.

He got replaced by a better coach. Freo are the winners here.

Freo have won nothing yet.

But if you want to cling to winning home and away matches in a dour way, I guess after 17-18 years of nothing at all, it would be classified as success. Sort of.

I'll tell you why we hate you!
We went 44 years without a flag finally winning playing highly entertaining, hard at the ball type footy. We win 3 flags.
Who then comes along and wants to be noticed? Ross Lyon (again) with his boring, ultra defensive rubbish that includes players like Crowley and Ballantyne with their little annoying and childish tactics.
It is PATHETIC especially when you compare yourselves to our squad.
We had Ling, you have Crowley and Ballantyne.

This is why our fans think our club is better then yours. What I'm saying I know sounds arrogant but it's bloody hard to respect teams far inferior with childish players.
Boring, cheap tactics and 0 flags.
Exciting, hard at the ball 3 flags.

Sorry to other Cat fans who don't want to sound arrogant like I have here :)

Don't just apologise to your mates (I am sure the decent ones are embarrassed). Surely the rest of the BF world is owed an apology for you carrying on like an arrogant, pompous twat? Wonder what you do in real life that causes you to need to live so vicariously through your team?

Freo have won nothing yet.

But if you want to cling to winning home and away matches in a dour way, I guess after 17-18 years of nothing at all, it would be classified as success. Sort of.

No, what we want to cling to is a bright future and the potential for success that lies ahead. All you have to cling to is 15 year old memories and a season which is now officially over.

Wow. Some stupid comments from Geelong supporters here. I'm a little disappointed this has just turned into schoolyard arguments though. I'm curious to know whether Fremantle supporters really do like the Ross Lyon model? If my team was consistently defensive I'm not sure I'd like appreciate it as much.

But that's just the thing. It has been significantly more defensive than offensive due to the huge holes in our forward line. Second half of 2012 and Freo was a top 6 side for offence and top 2 side for defence. Put a fit and firing Pav back in the forward line and I think you will see a more balanced gamestyle.

My views on this are well known, and well documented. Suffice to say I will not sympathise with Freo fans in 5 years' time, when they have zero premierships still, and will have wasted that time watching turgid, negative football that goes nowhere.

Maybe Scott Watters will be ready by then to accept the massive clean-up job that will be needed at Freo.

So North were given 2 options

1. Play attractive football and finish 11th-14th

2. play unattractive Football get 5th-8th spot.

If your happy to choose option 1 then you can stay down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No tears after we've beaten you into submission. What was it - the greatest disparity in contested possessions ever? When you've got girls like Stephanie Hill playing it's no surprise. You had to actually win the footy last night and she was unsighted. Great game from Ballantyne too - not many small forwards can boast a return of 0.0.

How did your superstar Tomahawk go in the last final he played? What's that donuts? Playing on Zac Dawson? Not too many full forwards can boast a return of 0 goals in a final.

I like defensive football, not a huge fan of ultra defensive football. I don't think Lyon is as bad as he was at the Saints, not sure if they will become like the Saints, not sure about that.

I like it when defenders win contests one-on-one or just the back six supporting eachother, that is great to watch. I don't like it when coaches wheel in half the side into the defensive 50. I like it when midfields structure up defensively and stop a lot of easy drive into their defensive 50 but run with numbers and spread when they have the ball.

There is a big difference between defensive and negative football. Sheedy moved 4 forwards into their backline, it pretty much decided the result and resulted in difficult to watch eye-bleeding game but that was negative football, there is nothing defensive about it other than conceding you are out to prevent a reaming on the scoreboard. Not sure psychologically there is much difference other than losing the opportunity to play a game that is actually going to teach you something down the track.

Freo seem to have found the balance in letting Ross control what he is good at, and remove responsibility from what he is not so good at.

I remain unconvinced that 'lyon footy' can win on the big day, not because of the style so much as the players being able to go an entire season sustaining it.

Geelong - 9 premierships, 154 years old. That's one premiership every 17 years.
Fremantle - 18 years old. Just behind the trend line.
Idiotic comparison. Compare the two of them since the AFL was introduced (1990). Geelong 3 > Freo 0

Well this is one of the best sooky la la posts i have ever read, Fremantle had Geelong by the proverbial's before last night's game, 8 wins on the trot, secure in the top 4, a fine night, Geelong were shocking last week and the Cats were without Johnson and he's worth Mundy and Barlow by himself. Sandilands is a crock and the big Pav is suffering old age. It is only a matter of time before some player does a Barry Hall and king hits Crowley, it's the low level of coaching that only the limited ability of Ross Lyon can provide. Without doubt the most over rated coach in the league. Yeah sure bring on a neutral deck, we're both well behind the Dorks anyway so let's play for the Crowley Cup in September and i hope one of our blokes knocks his block off!

Are you serious? Johnson is a great player and an A grader. But so are Mundy and Barlow. Only an arrogant twat would suggest he is worth both of them.

Sandilands when fit is a top 3 ruckman in the competition who has won 3 All Australians. He tore your team apart in the finals last year. Pavlich is a 6 times All Australian who kicked 55 goals in the last 13 games of 2012 He kicked 6 goals against your team in the elimination final while your heralded full forward kicked none. Show some respect to mature players. After all, you have 12 of your best 22 players that will be turning or over 30 years old next year.

I have to admit, if I supported Freo i'd think he was the greatest thing that'd happened to the club. They've been decimated by injuries this season, yet he's still got them entrenched in the top-8. Credit where it's due.

As a neutral, he's a s**tstain on the league. I can't watch Freo games anymore (that don't involve the Hawks), they're highlight-less borefests that don't deserve my time. I hope his kind gets phased out soon, it really isn't a great look for the game when a coach tries to suck the entertainment out of it.

Ross Lying is a complete and utter flog. Had the best list at St Kilda and still screwed it up, three times. Had he not encouraged number 35 to retire and played him instead of that idiot Raph Clarke in the 09 grand final we may just have won one.
Freo enjoy watching your boring football, cause you are gonna have to live with it til Lying bleeds your list dry, or loses all his money again on bad investments and finds someone else to knife in the back.

Mate, he got you to three grand finals in five years. How many coaches in the past 20 years have that record? Seriously, grow up and stop being so petulant.

I'm still baffled by this? Ross Lyon has no results, he's in his 7th season as a senior coach and has failures galore behind him. You might as well say Damien Hardwick gets results? Neil Craig gets results? Tigers supporters must be at least happier than have been for a few years, but they have no flag for 33 years and even making the finals is comparable to finding the white whale! What results are we talking about here?
Lyon was in charge of a team that was 20-0 just weeks out from a finals series and lost the GF, blew two chances the following year and then planned his departure in 2011 as he saw that list diminishing with age. If Freo fans are pleased with a few wins then good and well, i would rather watch a three toed sloth move from one branch to another than watch the stuff Fremantle throw up each week. I can't imagine Franklin contemplating for one second a move to Fremantle, it would drive him insane!

You are dimmer than I thought if you only measure success by winning a premiership. If so, then Geelong has had 145 years of failure and a 6% success rate.

Coaching St Kilda to 3 grand finals in five years is success. Might not be the ultimate success, but it is success nonetheless. Taking Fremantle to the finals twice in two years as coach will be success.

Go back to watching your three toed sloth and spare us your diatribe.

Freo seem to have found the balance in letting Ross control what he is good at, and remove responsibility from what he is not so good at.

I love Saints fans who fantasize that Freo presented Ross with a list of conditions detailing the areas of responsibility they were going to "remove" from him. As if having the worst recruiters in the League and no development department to speak of at St Kilda gave Lyon some sort of "control" he would only reluctantly relinquish. Geez, Ross must have really baulked when he found out that Freo's practice was to impose on the Senior Coach all the support and resources that clubs like Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn, and Collingwood burden their coaches with. That would have really brought him down a peg or two...

Freos been my secondary side for years.
Just nothing watchable about them under Ross. They are winning great, you are kidding yourself to think it's anything remotely entertaining for anyone else outside the Freo fans not familiar with winning to watch.
Not a big fan of watching chess or rugby scrimmages. With the umps now never calling dropping the ball it's become such a big part of the way teams play, dropping it to advantage I doubt any club is as adept at as this Freo side right now.
Hurry back Pav ffs give us some showmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back