\2027|North Melbourne|1970
\2035|Collingwood|1988
\2042|Melbourne|1989
\2043|Adelaide|2007
\2059|Sydney|2007
\2062|Western Bulldogs|1989
\2114|Fremantle|2012
Go Ross.

Great post. The top 2 teams on that list didn't have the same coach did they by any chance?

I will always respect the team you barrack for. I have however lost a fair bit of respect for their supporter base.

One of the most sought after and least valuable things in football is "respect". Means nothing and adds nothing.

This was discussed a week or so ago. Geelong fans have on the whole no problems with the vast majority of Fremantle players, and none of the fans. We have a big problem with:

- Solomon's elbow on Ling in 2008, and the utterly fake "apology" afterwards
- Crowley bearhugging Ablett all game in the same match, showing no effort at any stage to actually win the ball himself. He hasn't changed.
- Ballantyne. If only he could have played in another era. His jaw would have ended up in pieces.
- Ross Lyon's game style.

That's it. All the problems are above. You would as fans have zero problem with Lyon's tactics, fair enough, we know better than anyone what it's like to be nice guys who finish second. But don't act all miffed when a horrendous gameplan is hated by all other sides.

We were tolerated and patronised too, until we started winning premierships. Don't care.

Yep, Ross gets results. From the perspective of getting the best results relative to the team's ability, he's an outstanding coach, and I'm sure Freo supporters are pleased with their win-loss ratio. That doesn't mean others have to enjoy watching Fremantle games. I elected to watch 16th v 17th this evening (and enjoyed it) and didn't bother to flick the channel.

I'm still baffled by this? Ross Lyon has no results, he's in his 7th season as a senior coach and has failures galore behind him. You might as well say Damien Hardwick gets results? Neil Craig gets results? Tigers supporters must be at least happier than have been for a few years, but they have no flag for 33 years and even making the finals is comparable to finding the white whale! What results are we talking about here?
Lyon was in charge of a team that was 20-0 just weeks out from a finals series and lost the GF, blew two chances the following year and then planned his departure in 2011 as he saw that list diminishing with age. If Freo fans are pleased with a few wins then good and well, i would rather watch a three toed sloth move from one branch to another than watch the stuff Fremantle throw up each week. I can't imagine Franklin contemplating for one second a move to Fremantle, it would drive him insane!

I think this is a myth.

Saints had a team chock full of first round draft picks and some players that would be in St Kilda's best ever. Freo similarly are blessed with talent.

This whole Ross Lyon makes silk purses from sows ears is rubbish

You are kidding, right?

Last night we had a total of TWO (2) top 10 draft picks playing. When all our 'stars' come back, we might get 4 - that's if you include Morabito. Sheridan (19 years old, game 2) was #16, so there's another first rounder for you.

Last night we also had ten (10) players off the rookie list (or first drafted in the psd) playing - the other nine were picked between the second round (Fyfe, Ballantyne, ibbotson, Suban, Crozier), third round (Mayne, Clarke) and fourth round (Walters, first gamer Michie).

Crowley, Walters and clancee Pearce were all on the scrap heap when Lyon arrived. Crozier, Sheridan, Taberner, Hannath, Michie from last night's team - debuted this year or the very end end of last year; 25 games between the five of them.

Sure we have talent, but he has worked with a lot of injuries to that talent, and still managed to keep winning. Last night we came up against a very good team on their dung heap, with tipping point reached. Both teams at full strength would have been a far more even and competitive contest, sure, but Lyon has done wonders with a few top end talent and a shyte load of 'role players' and 'foot soldiers'.

As usual you slither like a snake when pressed.
You're pathetic.
The guy is a classic. Has enough free time to rack up 70 posts a day on here for years but can't be 'bothered' to string a few sentences together to explain how Ross Lyon will set back the 'development' of the club.

Lowest match totals after 13 games, last 45 years:

Points|Club|Season
\1985|Fremantle|2013 \2011|St.Kilda|2010
\2027|St.Kilda|1970
\2035|Collingwood|1988
\2042|Melbourne|1989
\2043|Adelaide|2007
\2059|Sydney|2007
\2114|Fremantle|2012

Go Ross.

Well that list says it all and significantly none of these teams won a premiership in those years!

Ross Lyon coached teams feature 3 times, he must be onto something? Kick less goals and win the flag...yep that'll work!

Lowest match totals after 13 games, last 45 years:

Points|Club|Season
\1985|Fremantle|2013
\2011|St.Kilda|2010
\2027|St.Kilda|1970
\2035|Collingwood|1988
\2042|Melbourne|1989
\2043|Adelaide|2007
\2059|Sydney|2007
\2114|Fremantle|2012
Go Ross.

an easily observed decline in scoring in recent times clearly presents the best argument yet for the introduction of the super-goal. this much needed innovation will heighten the excitement associated with more total points on the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I underestimated how much that elimination final loss stung cats supporters and how much the rivalry has grown. See you in the finals, chumps.

I think he's the best coach in the league but I also agree with OP.

When they are playing well and have the right balance of attack/defence Ross Lyon sides are fantastic to watch and I'd probably have Freo in my top 3-4 sides to watch when they are playing like they did in the back half of last year but when things aren't going well and they're trying to defend a lead or getting beaten in most areas on the ground there is not a worse side to watch than one coached by Ross Lyon.

R1, 2011 Saints v Cats. Worst game between supposed top sides ever seen. A total of something like 5 goals between the 2 sides coming into the last quarter.

Oh, please.

I'm sure Ross Lyon is shattered that you don't think his style is 'pretty' :rolleyes:
Here's a newsflash for you; He doesn't coach to please you. He coaches to get results. St Kilda, and now Fremantle under Ross Lyon are performing very well, so i'm pretty sure he doesn't give a flying **** whether it's not 'pleasing' to watch.

Ross' game plan is yet to get it done when it counts

I expect the same to be said about 2013

You know that saying about insanity and doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result.....

Yeah know that saying and it is bullshit.

Ross Lying is a complete and utter flog. Had the best list at St Kilda and still ****ed it up, three times. Had he not encouraged number 35 to retire and played him instead of that idiot Raph Clarke in the 09 grand final we may just have won one.
Freo enjoy watching your boring football, cause you are gonna have to live with it til Lying bleeds your list dry, or loses all his money again on bad investments and finds someone else to knife in the back.

The whole AFL competition is ugly these days.

You're lucky to get 2 decent games a week.

Not really sure pointing out Ross Lyon as being synonymous with ugly football really means much when there's so much other ugly football to watch every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back