Votes: 26 22.0%
  • extended beyond 2026

Votes: 62 52.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if you’ve got a better idea now might be the time to speak up

yF0Ntrw.jpeg
Not recommended in the amazon river.

5th lowest points against suggests the biggest hole is not in defence. And any half decent team defence holds up pretty well these days.

Any poster on here will tell you our "hole" is in the quality of the midfield.

We need mids mids mids - isn't that what you've been saying for years?

I'm more than happy to drop down to the 8th best defence if we end up with better mids and better i50 entries.
We need BETTER mids.

Better chance than using Adelaides 2nd.

Clearly you'll remember who was pick 6 last year.

This draft is much weaker at the front end than last year. I actually think it would be a similar level player if you were lucky. In prefer Cody Anderson to Lalor now.

That’s all good in theory until you realise that the pro recruiting team you’re putting together laugh in your face when you tell them they’re gonna be based in North Frankston.

And we were arse out of our pants skint & in debt when we were at Seaford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fremantle have a brand new facility in a shit hole of a location. 30-40mins out of the city. right on a real congestion point traffic wise. they train under massive power lines.

hasn't stopped them attracting players and retaining what they have.

its an excuse.

Fremantle have a brand new facility in a shit hole of a location. 30-40mins out of the city. right on a real congestion point traffic wise. they train under massive power lines.

hasn't stopped them attracting players and retaining what they have.

its an excuse.

Google says 21 minutes to Northbridge, and they might get to use the water slide.

Google says 21 minutes to Northbridge, and they might get to use the water slide.
Seaford was a bad idea. Fremantle is a different kettle of fish. A two team town, a two team state.
St Kilda is right at the bottom of the pile for a Melbourne team attraction wise, Seaford would put us in sub-polar territory. Moorabbin is not good also, but not as bad IMO.

I would be surprised if it is. I was in Fremantle today, looked at google maps when I saw this comment, and their Cockburn training base was 20 mins from where I was in Freo.

That said, Freo is quite a distance out anyway, so having a training base some distance from the CBD is not a new issue and has been the case since their inception.

I would be surprised if it is. I was in Fremantle today, looked at google maps when I saw this comment, and their Cockburn training base was 20 mins from where I was in Freo.

That said, Freo is quite a distance out anyway, so having a training base some distance from the CBD is not a new issue and has been the case since their inception.

I'd not want to train in Cockburn. The name offends my sensibilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seaford was a bad idea. Fremantle is a different kettle of fish. A two team town, a two team state.
St Kilda is right at the bottom of the pile for a Melbourne team attraction wise, Seaford would put us in sub-polar territory. Moorabbin is not good also, but not as bad IMO.
And we had the players keep complaining, noone wanted to go there, the fans didn't turn up, . Players hated it.
Remember when everyone complained about the lack of coffees?

rewriting history ....

This draft is much weaker at the front end than last year. I actually think it would be a similar level player if you were lucky. In prefer Cody Anderson to Lalor now.

Mate people were rating Lalor on last years form, apparently he has been injured this year and had no preseason and ongoing injury issues.

Cody Anderson also looks a good 2nd round pick if available.

Mate people were rating Lalor on last years form, apparently he has been injured this year and had no preseason and ongoing injury issues.

Cody Anderson also looks a good 2nd round pick if available.

Anderson went down early last weekend. Not sure what the injury was. Worth watching. Might drift out now. Lalor just doesn’t excite me with a high pick. Looks a bit Dunstanish.

And we had the players keep complaining, noone wanted to go there, the fans didn't turn up, . Players hated it.
Remember when everyone complained about the lack of coffees?

rewriting history ....
Players loved it.
Rewriting history.

(The team benefited from players spending an extra six hours a week sitting in their cars, because it gives them time to listen to more podcasts)

Mornington would have been better. As long as we got a home ground there. I think the train runs there too.
We could be the new Geelong.

Rewriting the future.

Anderson went down early last weekend. Not sure what the injury was. Worth watching. Might drift out now. Lalor just doesn’t excite me with a high pick. Looks a bit Dunstanish.
Pretty sure Dunstan never kicked 7 goals in a match ..... actually not sure he even hit a target 7 times in a match :think:

The myth you are trying to perpetuate about Lalor having bad disposal skills is off the mark

Pretty sure Dunstan never kicked 7 goals in a match ..... actually not sure he even hit a target 7 times in a match :think:

The myth you are trying to perpetuate about Lalor having bad disposal skills is off the mark

Dunstan on paper looked good. He was captain of SA in his draft year and looked like a good pick up. Just never had the fitness for a long time and by the time he did he was on the way out after a few injury riddled seasons.

#18 St Kilda (via Hawthorn) – Luke Dunstan (SA –Mid/Fwd)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 29/01/1995
Recruited from: Woodville-West Torrens
Style: Scott Thompson (Adel)
Player comparison:
Range: 13-35
Profile: Dunstan is a dominant inside midfielder with a strong body. Has future captain potential having captained SA through the u18 championships and is highly regarded for his leadership abilities. Has played plenty of senior SANFL footy and has played some strong footy. He’s a big time accumulator and a natural inside ball winner with the ability to win the clearances. He has very clean hands and that ability to be that real inside distributor with his work in close by hand as good as you’ll find really working to dish it off to those outside runners and get others involved. Not only is Dunstan an exceptional inside player but he can also swing forward, take a mark and hit the scoreboard when given the opportunity and I expect he will continue to be a very damaging player at the next level. Opinions on his kicking vary, but by position I’ve mostly been happy with what he’s done not only finishing but also hitting his targets around the field showing that he can lower the eyes and hit a target but then also has shown that he has some penetration and hurt factor at times when given the time and space to execute. He’s not an athlete but in saying that his pace is sufficient. He also has shown that he can read the play well behind the ball.

Dunstan on paper looked good. He was captain of SA in his draft year and looked like a good pick up. Just never had the fitness for a long time and by the time he did he was on the way out after a few injury riddled seasons.

Player comparison:
Profile: Dunstan is a dominant inside midfielder with a strong body. Has future captain potential having captained SA through the u18 championships and is highly regarded for his leadership abilities. Has played plenty of senior SANFL footy and has played some strong footy. He’s a big time accumulator and a natural inside ball winner with the ability to win the clearances. He has very clean hands and that ability to be that real inside distributor with his work in close by hand as good as you’ll find really working to dish it off to those outside runners and get others involved. Not only is Dunstan an exceptional inside player but he can also swing forward, take a mark and hit the scoreboard when given the opportunity and I expect he will continue to be a very damaging player at the next level. Opinions on his kicking vary, but by position I’ve mostly been happy with what he’s done not only finishing but also hitting his targets around the field showing that he can lower the eyes and hit a target but then also has shown that he has some penetration and hurt factor at times when given the time and space to execute. He’s not an athlete but in saying that his pace is sufficient. He also has shown that he can read the play well behind the ball.

In my honest opinion, Luke Dunstan was/is the definition of a low-ceiling footballer.

He started his career strongly because of his mature frame, but he never had the foot skills or athletic traits to be a great footballer at the level - I know not all stars need to be athletes etc.

However, he got to his ceiling very quickly and had no room to improve because he just couldn't. Injuries did impact him of course.

I can see why the club selected him, as he had leadership capabilities and, on the surface, looked like a bloke who would win the hard ball and play 200 unspectacular games.

In my honest opinion, Luke Dunstan was/is the definition of a low-ceiling footballer.

He started his career strongly because of his mature frame, but he never had the foot skills or athletic traits to be a great footballer at the level - I know not all stars need to be athletes etc.

However, he got to his ceiling very quickly and had no room to improve because he just couldn't. Injuries did impact him of course.

I can see why the club selected him, as he had leadership capabilities and, on the surface, looked like a bloke who would win the hard ball and play 200 unspectacular games.
I think they do these days and that’s what changed. Same reason why Billings didn’t work out either, unathletic plodders don’t have a place in the game anymore.

I think they do these days and that’s what changed. Same reason why Billings didn’t work out either, unathletic plodders don’t have a place in the game anymore.
I think there is a small place for players with limited athletic ability, but you have to be exceptional at another key discipline.

Many would agree that Lachie Neale is an 'old-school' footballer, is small for today's game and is one-paced, but he's won two Brownlows. He is one of the cleanest and smartest footballers you are going to see. He has to be, because if he isn't in that top percentile for those disciplines, he'd struggle massively.

I think there is a small place for players with limited athletic ability, but you have to be exceptional at another key discipline.

Many would agree that Lachie Neale is an 'old-school' footballer, is small for today's game and is one-paced, but he's won two Brownlows. He is one of the cleanest and smartest footballers you are going to see. He has to be, because if he isn't in that top percentile for those disciplines, he'd struggle massively.
I probably went a bit far but basically it’s a speed and power game these days. If you don’t have either of those as a mid/running player it’s very hard to make it. Neale is an exceptional contested ball winner, everyone assumed Dunstan was good at it but most years he was poor for his position.

Player comparison:

This stuff scares me. We're literally about to go for this type of player again, which IS what we need to be fair.

I hope this time we reflect on what it was about Dunstan - despite all the positives detailed in this report - that stopped him from ever becoming more than a gop and eventually made his continuation at St Kilda untenable. I want that 200 game gun ball pig.

Back