List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding Simon Lloyd you could be right but please find me a quote saying his position at Geelong is a promotion. He was extremely senior at Freo as I said.

It would take me about 15 seconds to supply that information but being spoon fed is widely believed to be bad for your brain.

It would take me about 15 seconds to supply that information but being spoon fed is widely believed to be bad for your brain.

In other words you can't back it up. It was a newly created role so it's impossible to prove anyway whether it is a step up, down or sideways for Lloyd. If you believe that there 'are no coincidences', then the Exodus of senior coaches at Freo when it was confirmed that Ross was staying could be looked at as suspicious, but not according to you, fair enough.

Last edited:
My honest belief is that Jesus Christ himself may have been to walk on water but not even he could coach us to a premiership by 2020.

1) He was only human
2) Despite his 12 disciples, 1 was still a whiteant that led to his demise
3) Allowing Judas to be a disciple says a lot about his selection policy

Keep the faith.
Stick with Ross and play Jesus at fullforward.
He's still got a few good seasons in him.
Trade Judas to the mob down the road.

I think Lyon has said himself that recruiting is the cornerstone of success.

2) Despite his 12 disciples, 1 was still a whiteant that led to his demise

What demise? The entire Roman Empire were converted to his views centuries after he departed the earth. How much more power could he want?

3) Allowing Judas to be a disciple says a lot about his selection policy

Stroke of genius, wasn't it? Jesus' best move by a mile. Without the crucifixion there could have been no resurrection. And then where would we be?

What demise? The entire Roman Empire were converted to his views centuries after he departed the earth. How much more power could he want?
Stroke of genius, wasn't it? Jesus' best move by a mile. Without the crucifixion there could have been no resurrection.

It took him to be taken out by public opinion for them to realise what they had, and lost ;)

Says a lot about what the armchair fans know

Stroke of genius, wasn't it? Jesus' best move by a mile. Without the crucifixion there could have been no resurrection. And then where would we be?
Probably just believing in a slightly adjusted fairy tale but still allowing us to use it to discriminate against those with other faiths and beliefs :eek:

What's delusional in my mind is that some Freo supporters seriously think we would suddenly get a better coach (however that would be defined) if Ross was actually sacked. In the actual AFL world, no one wants to go near Freo with a 10 foot barge pole. Particularly if Ross couldn't do it, it will be even less appealing. We only got Ross because an investment failed and he needed the extra cash badly. Let's be real people. Kirsten and the kids would have preferred to stay with their friends and family in Melbourne and her business was growing at the time. We'd end up simply taking on an experienced assistant who may or may not be any good and would learn there craft as they went (during Fyfe's best years?). And they will have their deficiencies.

The fact is, rebuilding teams are inconsistent with whomever at the helm (see Hawthorn 2017). We are playing 18 guys of the 22 under 27 atm, a number of debutants, a number of under 50 gamers, and our seniors had limited pre-seasons or missed last year and are already baked so far this year from having to pick up the slack from all the young uns. A recently dropped senior HB scapegoat said so a week ago to a mate who has been doing work for him.

I had us at 12 this year but getting games into the kids to build up to next year. That seems to be on course. Yes, we'll get some unlikely wins, but also some bad losses along the way. Such is life to quote a famous convict (your pick as to which one). This is better than sitting on the bottom for 5y ala Carlton or Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is better than sitting on the bottom for 5y ala Carlton or Brisbane.
If Ross don't do anything after the bye and still recycle ( ibbo,d.pearce,sutty and sherriden type) .I afraid end of the season there is a possibility of freo sitting side by side with Carlton and Brisbane . Percentage wise freo is even worse than blues.

The challenge with churning coaches would be the same as having a rotating door of bosses coming through to run a company.

New guy comes in. You have to learn how he works. He might have different ideas in how the company should be run. He has to develop trust and relationships with the managers and staff. The staff have to learn the new company direction under him. It takes a long time to change the existing company culture. And after all that is said and done - there's no guarantee that he'll be able to get the company performing any better.

I'd rather we just get a Jack Welch in and back him in - and then make sure we have the right people, in the right roles, and the right culture.

With us, I'd start with the fact we're light on for experienced assistants and line coaches before chasing the head of the snake.

Its interesting what kind of counter opinion there would to Ross's amongst the selection panel each week. Its often assumed Ross has the strongest personality and everyone just beats to the same drum and that whatever he wants he gets - so he alone should wear the criticism of being too conservative.

In the pre-game discussion to the Collingwood game on 6PR radio Peter Sumich was discussing Ibbotson with Luke McPharlin. Sumich reckons Ibbotson is "elite" and you should back him in, and Luke, though he didn't strongly disagree, sided a bit with the selectors saying that he'd lost confidence and had become a bit indecisive.

Though he's not at the club anymore, clearly if he was still involved at Fremantle Sumich would have stuck with Ibbotson - yet the overwhelming opinion (including mine) on BigFooty had been for some weeks that Ibbotson had to be dropped.

Though he's not at the club anymore, clearly if he was still involved at Fremantle Sumich would have stuck with Ibbotson - yet the overwhelming opinion (including mine) on BigFooty had been for some weeks that Ibbotson had to be dropped.

Interesting insight. Of all our ex-players the one I most want to come back to us in a coaching role is Luke McPharlin.

Interesting insight. Of all our ex-players the one I most want to come back to us in a coaching role is Luke McPharlin.

Pav would be good too, just for the carryover respect he'd have from the players - and his ability to ream them and have them listen

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back