List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo since day one and South Freo also since day one, my day one that is, Freo is becoming one of those mediocre football teams like St Kilda never really quite there just lots of promises that's why Ross Lyon seemed a natural progression in Freo history "I'll get you almost there" but you'll never amount to anything. The game against Richmond the coach turned his back in the direction his nose should have been, trusting his players to succeed but he didn't he gave up and walked out on them it to me said a lot about the club and it's administration
Hey Walter which club do you follow.;)[/QUOT

Freo since day one and South Freo also since day one, my day one that is, Freo is becoming one of those mediocre football teams like St Kilda never really quite there just lots of promises that's why Ross Lyon seemed a natural progression in Freo history "I'll get you almost there" but you'll never amount to anything. The game against Richmond the coach turned his back in the direction his nose should have been, trusting his players to succeed but he didn't he gave up and walked out on them it to me said a lot about the club and it's administration
And this post says a lot about you

Nice rant but I think I must've missed the part where you suggested a potential replacement?[/QUOTE

A rant I don't know it's easy to dismiss opinion with a cliche then rant it is but there is something lacking in this club and it's certainly not passion from its supporters or players as for a replacement coach you didn't miss it I didn't throw it out there that's what boards are for or why have them, you need to admit there is a problem before you can fix it and they are clueless

The yanks are also fine with the concept of you having a good year if you finish in the top half of a ladder - whereas here, it's grand final winner or the year was a complete and utter waste and the coach should be sacked.
According to big footy theirs only 2 coaches,out of 18 mind you, who are worth their salt (clarko, bevo)...the rest are either totally useless or simply warming the seat until the true heir to the throne is appointed

So when it comes to choosing a coach, the only question is "Will he get us to a flag" If the answer is maybe then stay the course ands re-evaluate. If the answer ever becomes no or not likely, then it is clearly time to move on. There is no point in hanging on to somebody who won't get you there. No point at all

Just a reinterpreting, but can they give you a chance at a flag. There aren't guarantees as injuries, being a slightly better wet weather team and it's raining on the day, or you have a better chance against team A vs B (The cats being the Hawks bogeymen for so many years as an example) etc.

So when it comes to Ross, he's gotten us to a Grand Final - and while he could have done better, it isn't his fault that Fyfe stuffed up all those shots at goal at the start of the game for example.

But there is browbeating due to our Ozzieness about Ross, gets 2 teams to the big day and he is a failure rather than someone who gave both teams a chance.

According to big footy theirs only 2 coaches,out of 18 mind you, who are worth their salt (clarko, bevo)...the rest are either totally useless or simply warming the seat until the true heir to the throne is appointed

A lot of people following other teams respect Ross.

I just find it funny how people deal in absolutes with the flag or nothing. If Worsfold for example had have lost by 1 point instead of scrapping over the line by 1 point in 2006 he would be judged totally differently as a coach (and possibly not even given another job at Essendon).

This is extra ridiculous in a game like Australian Rules where the coaches basically sit up there for the last 5 minutes helpless whilst it's then all up to the players. It's not as if they can call a time out and then have an influence by setting up a match winning play in the last minute.

Just a reinterpreting, but can they give you a chance at a flag. There aren't guarantees as injuries, being a slightly better wet weather team and it's raining on the day, or you have a better chance against team A vs B (The cats being the Hawks bogeymen for so many years as an example) etc.

So when it comes to Ross, he's gotten us to a Grand Final - and while he could have done better, it isn't his fault that Fyfe stuffed up all those shots at goal at the start of the game for example.

But there is browbeating due to our Ozzieness about Ross, gets 2 teams to the big day and he is a failure rather than someone who gave both teams a chance.
Yep, despite the many coaches over the years stating it ad nauseum , luck plays a major part in it, especially as the gf is a one off.
Going back to my previous post even both the coaches I mentioned have had their share of luck (clarko in the 08 gf and bevo sbulldogs incredible finals run last year)
At the end of the day thats all a coach can do...is give their side the best chance at success by stacking as much of the deck in their favour

Please answer the question WalterBB, who's replacing him? You clearly have strong opinions on the issue so I imagine you've planned this all out already.
Simpson . eagles bf want to get rid of him , freo bf want to get rid of Ross. Recycling.

You honestly believe thats why "Ross gave up"??
We re becoming mediocre 'like st kilda'?...excuse my ignorance but historically the clubs not exactly coming from position of sustained success, either on field or off it, unless of course you were talking about the period of 12-15 ,in which Ross WAS the major component of

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please answer the question WalterBB, who's replacing him? You clearly have strong opinions on the issue so I imagine you've planned this all out already.
Its this part of the whole ross debate that shits me the most....living in freo I get infuriated every time theres a good , vibrant development proposal put forward only for that insipid group of relics ,freo historical society,and other naysayers jump straight in to sink the boot in but never , ever putting forward any proposal of their own.
Easiest thing in the world to do...sit back and just take potshots , knowing you ll never be held accountable

Yeah he gave 2 teams a chance but it is still a regular evaluation to be made, irrespective of history.

The game has changed, markedly. Does his method still work? That needs to be looked at at least every year, if not more often.

Forget any Aussiness and concentrate on what counts. Can he still get teams to a flag using his methods. Frankly, I'd be suggesting that he's spent his tickets and needs to start showing more than he currently is. No amount of shifting the blame to medicos or fitness staff is going to hide the fact that the team isn't preparing well these days.

Doubts about his ability to adjust must arise considering how poor we've been under the new rules and it would be stupid to just dismiss them without due consideration. Some people will arrive at the conclusion he can no longer do it faster than others will. Some will never get there. But a sensible person will be re-evaluating on a regular basis

You don't make a lot of sense :rolleyes:and answer the question , what team do you follow?

Ross could have taken the soft option and played Dawson, Ibbo, Suban ,Pearce and probably would have beaten Brissie. He didn't and stuck with Ryan, Collins, Grey and Cox. Hopefully the club is looking long term and will bring in more youth over the coming weeks. Its hard to take at the minute but as Keating said its a recession we have to have.

lol what.....

Ross has no choice but to play the kids.

Yeah he gave 2 teams a chance but it is still a regular evaluation to be made, irrespective of history.

The game has changed, markedly. Does his method still work? That needs to be looked at at least every year, if not more often.

Forget any Aussiness and concentrate on what counts. Can he still get teams to a flag using his methods. Frankly, I'd be suggesting that he's spent his tickets and needs to start showing more than he currently is. No amount of shifting the blame to medicos or fitness staff is going to hide the fact that the team isn't preparing well these days.

Doubts about his ability to adjust must arise considering how poor we've been under the new rules and it would be stupid to just dismiss them without due consideration. Some people will arrive at the conclusion he can no longer do it faster than others will. Some will never get there. But a sensible person will be re-evaluating on a regular basis
Just a quick question, not taking the piss either but all things considered, where exactly do you consider fremantle should be sitting in regards to wins and losses atm?

No I haven't forgotten about the injuries we had back then and I haven't forgotten that Harvey was held responsible for playing unfit player coming back from injury.

You seem to have forgotten that bit. So who do we blame this time for playing guys you are now saying are unfit? If they are, why are they getting selected?

I do not think that we are playing so shit because our medicos and fitness staff are no good. Other teams have been chipping around our zones for years now. Geelong did it in round 1 this year so unless you';re saying the JLT games wore our playing group down before round 1 then I'd suggest you don't have much of an argument that fitness is our issue.

Disinterest is not fitness, its attitude. we looked disinterested and played that way which is more likely to be caused by something other than our fitness. If it was some the kids falling away, you might have a point but it was just as obvious with our older hands. Everybody in that game was well beaten by the lowest ranked team in the league.

Sooner or later you just going to have to admit that Lyon has responsibility for the game plan, coaching and team selections and that those are the areas we know are failing.
Sorry I just don't buy that Lyon is telling the guys "Look, when we don't have the ball, forget about what we did in 2013. I want you to give them as much room as you can. Even if they are in the forward 50. Just let them have the possession. I want you to be 5m off your man every time. If any of you lay a hand on an opponent as they are bringing it forward, I'll drag you into next week. Let them have a shot at goals, let's hope they miss and we can set-up from the kick-in"...?

As bad as you think Lyon is I reckon he could have coached a fit Claremont team to be competitive against the Lion rabble yesterday. Something we were not, and haven't been for 3 weeks.

I don't know about that. I think most would rate Pyke as right up there. Bolton is doing a good job rebuilding Carlton and Fagan the same at Bris. Both are clearly clever coaches. Worsfold is doing a good job with the Bombers and seems to have reinvigorated himself as he was always a very good coach. Scott (the Geelong version) certainly knows his stuff and Goodwin is developing nicely and will be at Melb for a long while. There are plenty of good coaches. At one point (2012/13) Ross would've been seen by the majority of the footy world as one of, if not the best. Probably not so much now though.

I don't know about that. I think most would rate Pyke as right up there. Bolton is doing a good job rebuilding Carlton and Fagan the same at Bris. Both are clearly clever coaches. Worsfold is doing a good job with the Bombers and seems to have reinvigorated himself as he was always a very good coach. Scott (the Geelong version) certainly knows his stuff and Goodwin is developing nicely and will be at Melb for a long while. There are plenty of good coaches. At one point (2012/13) Ross would've been seen by the majority of the footy world as one of, if not the best. Probably not so much now though.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree, especially on pyke and scott, cant believe how hardly they're judged...I think their both excellent coaches.
Was merely pointing out the perception of coaches from supporters and oppo fans/media...particularly on this site

It was a disgraceful effort and we have problems but if someone before the season said we would be sitting 6-6 I'd have taken it.
6-6 would be a pads if we were showing signs of improvement. As it stands we've jagged 4 of our 6 wins, still have the same useless crabs in the team as we had in round 2, and still play the same rancid stagnant football.

We've spent a year and a half of a 4 year rebuild and are in exactly the same position we were at the start of last year. Lyon isn't rebuilding shit.

No choice? those other players are not injured. Once again, you're an idiot.

I noticed only morons on this site reply with "you're an idiot". Are you struggling to construct an argument?

If you can't see why Ross is unable to resort back to the old players you don't understand the basics of footy.

Just a quick question, not taking the piss either but all things considered, where exactly do you consider fremantle should be sitting in regards to wins and losses atm?

Better than we currently are.

I think we have made mistakes in list management over a while (not hard to understand as no team get it right all the time). I think we've made mistakes in player development and thats down to coaching.Our game plan simply does not fit the current rules and we have too many players that could work under the old rules but no longer are viable at AFL level (Suban, Sutcliffe, Griifin, Ibbotsen etc)

As it stands we should have beaten Collingwood and Brisbane in my view but we were not even competitive in either game.

Lyon needs to adjust the way he does things and i'm not even sure he can

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Back