Ross Lyon - what a coach

Remove this Banner Ad

And you don't have to keep lecturing me on what I should and shouldn't post. My post was perfectly reasonable in response to what that Freo supporter posted and you decided to get your knickers in a knot over it.

You're not a moderator here and this isn't the Freo team board where everyone is going to say nice things about Freo and Ross Lyon all the time.

We aren't bothered by criticism, it's just your on going agenda against Lyon and Freo that's getting boring, it's evident enough with your rants on our game day threads.

We aren't bothered by criticism, it's just your on going agenda against Lyon and Freo that's getting boring, it's evident enough with your rants on our game day threads.

You could have fooled me, any hint of criticism of Lyon especially from me and all you Freo supporters rush in to have a sook about it.

This is a thread about Ross Lyon's coaching, do you not expect people to make comments about it?

You could have fooled me, any hint of criticism of Lyon especially from me and all you Freo supporters rush in to have a sook about it.

This is a thread about Ross Lyon's coaching, do you not expect people to make comments about it?

We who follow our team closely can't defend our coach and give our own views? Just about every teams supporters do this.

You how ever seem more interested in taking every opportunity to rubbish fremantle and Lyon, even witnessed you get carded for it recently in the Geelong vs Freo game day thread, Maybe you should keep it to the bay.

Good coach, hardly the reincarnation of Jeans, Hafey or Barassi.

He is greatest strength is being able to hide average players in a system that demands effort, and that's about it. Yes it's a simplistic view of the game style, but it's the way I see it. The problem is, is that if the effort drops, or other teams rise to the challenge, average players are still that, average, and get found out. I sometimes think this is why he is still without a flag (granted, he's got bloody close twice).

I think he will flourish though at Freo, pound for pound, it's a more talented list than St Kilda's, in my view anyway.

We expect good honest debate, not whining St Kilda supporters having a sook because they're mad at him.

Grow up:thumbsdown:

Show me the posts where I have been sooking because I'm mad at Ross Lyon?

I was engaging in good honest debate until the Freo sook brigade turned up to attack me.

I reckon Mark Harvey would've moved Alex Silvagni away from Taylor Walker before the 28 minute mark of the last quarter

Luke McPharlin didn't play, but Ross Lyon still had Zac Dawson and Michael Johnson to call upon.

Sometimes even coaching geniuses can make mistakes.

Harvey would've played McPharlin so he could tear his hammie again in the 5th minute.

Funny you should say that because in Allan Jeans's opinion, Ross Lyon was a better coach than he was.

Jeans considered Lyon to be the best coach St Kilda has ever had.

I'd like to hear other opinions rather than from the very humble man himself. And in saying the best St Kilda coach ever? It's hardly a melbourne cup field is it!! (though in terms of numbers, probably close).

One thing you can definitely say about Lyon is that he is a consummate professional. That is what St Kilda needed in 2007 and I think that is what Freo needed coming into 2012. Mark Harvey didn't do too much wrong but Ross is clearly a better coach.

I know this debates already gone over in this thread, but I would be wary if I was Freo fans of Lyons list management skills. I expect to see Freo contend again next year and after that who knows but when Pavlich and Sandilands are finishing up you might be in trouble.

Funny you should say that because in Allan Jeans's opinion, Ross Lyon was a better coach than he was.

Jeans considered Lyon to be the best coach St Kilda has ever had.

Curious, were you formerly Crippa2sippa?

The most over rated coach in football history, when the going gets tough Ross Lyon gets going. He had no idea what to do in that second half against Adelaide, Pavlich wasn't firing so once again he went looking for a plan B only to find the brief case was empty. Fremantle finished in 12th position with points for in 2012! Fremantle will never win a flag under Ross Lyon. Lyon is one dimensional, lacking in vision, he takes no risks, he plays as safe as he can get in the hope his team doesn't get blown away. It will get ugly at the Dockers in the next couple of years as they ponder this huge mistake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most over rated coach in football history, ...

Does any coach get more kudos that Lyons? Fair enough he is a competent coach but the meedja seem to focus on his impact far more than the other competent coaches.

Freo were dead in the second half. You can blame travel, injuries, water temperature but at some stage you have to wonder why they play a game plan that they cannot sustain for four quarters. Good luck to Adelaide but had Lyons managed his team better they may have been playing this week.

Does any coach get more kudos that Lyons? Fair enough he is a competent coach but the meedja seem to focus on his impact far more than the other competent coaches.

Freo were dead in the second half. You can blame travel, injuries, water temperature but at some stage you have to wonder why they play a game plan that they cannot sustain for four quarters. Good luck to Adelaide but had Lyons managed his team better they may have been playing this week.

our fadeout in the second half had nothing to do with Ross' game plan. We've been playing that way for near on ten weeks now. I think you're seriously underestimating how difficult it is to travel twice in the space of 6 days.

It was fair enough that Lyon placed his trust in the gameplan that got Freo this far. He also places absolute faith in his players. They got overrun by a side whose energy was fuelled by the home crowd, is all. He had more influential players at his command when at St.Kilda - look out next year if he gets a couple to cross the Nullarbor.

The most over rated coach in football history, when the going gets tough Ross Lyon gets going. He had no idea what to do in that second half against Adelaide, Pavlich wasn't firing so once again he went looking for a plan B only to find the brief case was empty. Fremantle finished in 12th position with points for in 2012! Fremantle will never win a flag under Ross Lyon. Lyon is one dimensional, lacking in vision, he takes no risks, he plays as safe as he can get in the hope his team doesn't get blown away. It will get ugly at the Dockers in the next couple of years as they ponder this huge mistake.

Are you serious? I always find it amusing when people use absolutes in the vein attempt to convey that they actually know what they're talking about.

Where did you disappear to last week?

Are you serious? I always find it amusing when people use absolutes in the vein attempt to convey that they actually know what they're talking about.

Yep, people who talk in absolutes about things that can't be known instantly mark themselves as fools you shouldn't waste your time with.

That's false, you won the clearances 36 to 29 and you won the contested possession count.

Where you fell over was away from the clearance, Sanderson clearly asked his players to fan out more, spot up the short targets and pull the Freo press apart, it worked.

Adelaide smashed Freo in uncontested possessions and marks.

Fair sign that Freo wanted to sag off.
Replying a few pages later only because of how ******ed this is. You realise that flat out clearance and contested numbers aren't the be all and end all don't you?
Look at how trashy the disposals were - it was under pressure and directed to advantage nowhere near as much as the Adelaide possessions were.

Extremely serious when it comes to Ross Lyon, how this overrated coach gets away with it is a mystery similar to his game plan. Lyon has done nothing other than have Fremantle progress where they should've been last season if not for a horror run of injuries. So the Freo board took it out on the coach and now you have this dud in control!
He had no idea in that second half against Adelaide what to do other than throw his head set around the coaches box in frustration as he discovered his brief case full of game plans was in fact empty....again!

Where did you disappear to last week?
Some of us do work for a living you know, if you are referring to Geelong's loss against the Shockers then yes of course i am disappointed, but overall the season has shown and given much promise for the future. They had a hard run into the finals series with a very difficult draw and ran out of puff..c'est la vie. There is always next year, i have no complaints about Geelong's season. My only regret is they have handed the Hawks and Mr Grumpy another flag.

A lot of teams have trouble after a six day break playing interstate during the home & away season, let alone travelling twice away on a six day break during finals.

We can blame travel, the coach, whatever. We ran out of gas in the final quarter, and still lost by only 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon - what a coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back