Ross Lyon - what a coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're seriously underestimating how difficult it is to travel twice in the space of 6 days.

I think you're seriously underestimating how difficult it is to sustain that gameplan, both mentally and physically.

Saints had about a 19 week period where it clicked, they bought in, and were pretty much invincible.

I reckon Freo clicked about 10 weeks ago, but teams will come up with something to counteract the GP, you're players will get tired/injured as more is expected of them....and the Saints didn't have to get on a plane so often, nor play on such a big ground as Subi.

Different club, same coaching deficiencies in both his overall coaching plan and game day strategies.

As at St Kilda, a frenzied defence, with gut running defend at all costs attitude, a single (once again injured) forward as your primary focus, get an early lead and hope like hell, that you can hang on while the team fatigues and the opposition starts to come back at you.

He promises so much, you will improve and play more finals, but his plan is flawed. Other teams can and will work it out and you dont have a plan B. Lyin only has the one plan. If success for Freo is playing finals, he will be perfect for you. If you want to go on and win a premiership, he cannot fulfil that.

Is this not how all teams play finals?

What possible flaw does a gameplan which involves tight, contested footy, with well designed structures have, that could preclude it from winning a premeriship?

The thing about Lyon's game plan is that you are forced to play on its terms. You have to beat him at his own game -- there is no antidote. You either match him at the stopages, win the contested footy or you lose. Even if you try to play fast attacking football, you won't be able to pull it off, as you will be dragged in the mire of a slug fest. There's a reason people hate Lyon, and deplore how unappealing his games are to watch: You can't control the tempo, or dictate the appearance of the game.

His game plan, unless the rules are changed, will last for enternity.

Ross Lyon is the greatest coach in the league at the moment.He has a message and a plan and can actually get that message across to the players.The players in turn want to play for him and understand what they have to do on the field. He has tweaked his game plan with Freo and it is not the same as the one he had at St Kilda.

Ross Lyon is the greatest coach in the league at the moment.He has a message and a plan and can actually get that message across to the players.The players in turn want to play for him and understand what they have to do on the field. He has tweaked his game plan with Freo and it is not the same as the one he had at St Kilda.

Ro$$ Lyin is so suited to Freo and its supporters. You can all live in the Freo bubble and chant what a great guy he is, but he still won't win you a flag.

His game plan is the same he learnt at Swans, had at St Kilda and now is flogging with Freo.

He will win us a flag. If it wasnt for a couple of players that let you down at St. Kilda you would have beaten Collingwood and won a flag-------just one accurate kick

Good luck. Unfortunately I dont see Lyin getting you there.

He will win us a flag. If it wasnt for a couple of players that let you down at St. Kilda you would have beaten Collingwood and won a flag-------just one accurate kick

While I personally don't subscribe to blaming players for not winning a flag, given the coach picks his men, knowing their strengths and weaknesses....

Even if you do subscribe to poor kicking by the Saints small forwards impacting the 2009 GF result, Lyon went with the same small forwards in the 2010, and then again in the replay.

People can sing his praises and remove him from any responsibility, but for mine, any coaches DNA is all over a GF side. Style, players, roles, motivation....

Firstly, the guy can coach. no doubt.

but consider he inherited a strong list, then when it declined he jumped ship and inherited another strong list. The guy does not know how to develop players (but it is something he is improving at). I believe he will never win a flag, but he is still a good coach

You bet .
He left Bradley out of the Crows match in place of Clarke and he kept Pavlich too high for too long in the fwd / mid line in that match which they lost .Yes good coach, NOT.

2010 for Fremantle was as much to do with Mark Harvey as Chris Scott. Geelong's 2011 gameplan was very similar to the style of play we had in 2010. The fact we moved away from that gameplan in 2011 was a poor decision by Harvey which ultimately cost him his job. Lets take a look at the beginning of 2011 (say first 7 rounds) before injuries kicked in, we had a fairly healthy squad up until that point:

2 point win vs. Brisbane (away) - saved by a Michael Walters goal from the pocket
11 point loss vs. Geelong (home) - They started the year poorly at Geelong and were ripe for us to win
25 point loss vs. Adelaide (away) - Losing to bottom 8 team anywhere is poor form
29 point win vs. North Melbourne (home) - Good, though they didn't finish in the 8
49 point loss vs. Richmond (away - MCG) - Terrible
7 point win vs. Bulldogs (home) - Very unconvincing win

Mark Harvey 4 wins, 3 losses -

Injuries:

Barlow missed rounds 1-12
Mzungu - missed rounds 1-8
Roger Hayden - Played 1 game late in the season, retired at the end of the year
Alex Silvagni - Missed first half of year

4 players, none apart from Barlow all that important, other injuries during that 7 rounds, Ibbotson missed 3 games, Suban missed 2 games and Matt DeBoer 1 game.

Lyon is NOT perfect, but he is a fair upgrade on Mark Harvey.

The question whether Lyon can take us to a premiership will be answered with time, if he doesn't i don't think it's a blight on his coaching.

Tough to make a call on Lyon either way until after the next year or 2. He certainly looks like he had them up and about - agree with the travel factor argument in the Adelaide game, those players were dead on their feet halfway through the last quarter. But at the end of the day its worth noting that this year they finished in the same position that Harvey got them to 2 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon - what a coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back