Strategy Round 1, 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prefer Fitzpatrick in the ruck. Not that i think he's pathetic up forward, i just think Dawes Clark and Hogan are more capable. Fitzy's athletic ability should see him flourish if given a permanent opportunity. Agree with the D16, Jamar in serious trouble. Id prefer Gawn (but needs to build a tank in hurry, a couple of games last year he was run off his feet by the 3rd quarter) or Spencer with Fitzy as of right now.

Interestingly, in the season review interview with Gawn, Gawn actually says Fitzpatrick is not much of a ruckman (he believes Fitz is a good forward), and I'm pretty sure he was being serious, he only listed himself, Jamar and Spencer as the genuine rucks on the list.

B Terlich - Frawley - Garland
HB Grimes - McDonlad - Toumpas
C Vince - Tyson - Viney
HF Watts - Dawes - Trengove
F Hogan = Clark - Kent (The superman line)
R Jamar/Gawn - Jones - Cross
Int Michie - Howe - Dunn
Sub Blease

On the bench I've got a mid and forward and a back and both Howe and Dunn can other positions too.
The HFF'ers and HBF'ers are all mids these days so Watts pushes up to the wing and Howe patrols the other one.

Mckenzie for Dunn is an option and Fitzy as 2nd ruck if Clark won't be doing it. This will shuffle the team around a bit also pushing Dunn out.

Viney on the wing just means he will be out of the centre bounce first up. Mids can rotate out through the game to stay fresh.

Evans Mckenzie M jones along with Fitz are on the cusp.

Terlich and Toump will need to perform or Clisby might take their spot.

Draft picks not taken into consideration here at all.

Once Cross has played a year Viney plays Rover and let's say Freeman goes onto the wing.

And if we never get an injury we might win on occasion.

Terlich MY Balls! There is no way Clisby will take Terlichs spot. He was a shining light this season, and will grow on his performances to become a General of our Back Line. I'm actually REALLY excited by the look of our Backline. Garland, Frawley, Macca, Terlich, Grimes and possibly Matty Jones or even Dean Kent (Pick one) sitting on a flank providing some run up the wing looks real good to me. Toumpas needs a couple of years, he's not in my best 22.

Interestingly, in the season review interview with Gawn, Gawn actually says Fitzpatrick is not much of a ruckman (he believes Fitz is a good forward), and I'm pretty sure he was being serious, he only listed himself, Jamar and Spencer as the genuine rucks on the list.
Of course Gawn would say that, Fitzy has done more than Gawn as of Late, Gawn has gone from a Favorite 2nd, to a 4th/5th ruckman. Jamar as #1, replaced by Pencil as #2. Mitch or Fitzy to Pinch hit as #3 and #4, leaves Gawn trying to explain to everyone why Fitzy isn't a ruckman, but a forward.

Gawn Needs to Lift this season. We need some consistency, no injuries, and a big show of strength. He proved that he can be dangerous up forward, so now it's time to grab it by the balls and step up.

I still can't believe how many of our supporters were constantly suggesting we draft a ruckman this year. Such a failure of a suggestion.
Jesus_facepalm.jpg

Terlich MY Balls! There is no way Clisby will take Terlichs spot. He was a shining light this season, and will grow on his performances to become a General of our Back Line. I'm actually REALLY excited by the look of our Backline. Garland, Frawley, Macca, Terlich, Grimes and possibly Matty Jones or even Dean Kent (Pick one) sitting on a flank providing some run up the wing looks real good to me. Toumpas needs a couple of years, he's not in my best 22.
Toumpas for me has proved over 2 years in the SANFL and 1 in the VFL that he is above state league football, the best thing for him is to get the ball in his hands as much as possible at AFL level, playing him off the half back line could do great things for his development. Would still need to perform to keep his spot.

If we did get a ruckman this year, it would be a project on the rookie list, definitely not on the main list.

I think Gawn can lift this year, could be his first uninterupted pre season, which would help him get his fitness somwhere near where it needs to be. I think he's a real talent, and obviously has the height, though he needs to use that height to better effect, though as I'm typing this it strikes me that perhaps he can't jump as much as he'd like because of his knees.

Jamar, spencer and Gawn are only genuine ruckman.
Clark will be playing forward and Fitz is more of a forward/pinch hitting ruckman.

Drafting another genuine ruckman now with a late pick or rookie pick will give him a couple of years development before Jamar retires.

I'm not adverse to another ruck man either - as from what I've seen so far, Fitz is long leading tall forward who can pinch hit in the ruck. We would be in trouble at stoppages if he was our main ruck this year.

Jamar is nearly gone, which leaves Spencer and Gawn, and as much as I like Gawn and have high hopes - he hasn't shown me any reliability whatsoever as of yet.

I would actually be surprised if we don't rookie a ruck man this year - either from the juniors, or even from one of the state leagues.

Of course Gawn would say that, Fitzy has done more than Gawn as of Late, Gawn has gone from a Favorite 2nd, to a 4th/5th ruckman. Jamar as #1, replaced by Pencil as #2. Mitch or Fitzy to Pinch hit as #3 and #4, leaves Gawn trying to explain to everyone why Fitzy isn't a ruckman, but a forward.

Gawn Needs to Lift this season. We need some consistency, no injuries, and a big show of strength. He proved that he can be dangerous up forward, so now it's time to grab it by the balls and step up.

I still can't believe how many of our supporters were constantly suggesting we draft a ruckman this year. Such a failure of a suggestion.

So Gawn (needs to lift), Jamar (about to retire) is our number 1 ruck, Clark (our best forward) as a backup and Fitz (who's only ever shown form as a forward are your answers behind.. Uh.. Spencer?

Face palm yourself there suburbanme :p

So Gawn (needs to lift), Jamar (about to retire) is our number 1 ruck, Clark (our best forward) as a backup and Fitz (who's only ever shown form as a forward are your answers behind.. Uh.. Spencer?

Face palm yourself there suburbanme :p
for what reason? Yes Gawn needs to lift, how long has he been on the list and because of injury not played? How many games in 3yrs has he played? 15? Not good enough - needs to lift, needs a good run with injuries. But in saying this, he is fit and can get on the ground, so this is a good thing.

Yes Jamar is our #1 Ruck, and he's got atleast 2 more years in him.

Clark and Fitz for Pinch hitting and playing up forward as I previously stated.

And Spencer, well he was our go to guy when Jamar was out last year and did quite well for a big guy. He provides chase, is a TOWER, and just needs more confidence when rucking and also needs to develop his kicking. In saying that though, ruckmen aren't known for their kicking, but having one that can is Awesome - obviously. So I'm sure Roosy will be targeting their weaknesses.

The Fact our Forward line consists of Clark & Hogan, means that Fitzy will be used for depth up forward and in the Ruck. We don't NEED the best ruckman, we just need someone that CAN compete. The strengthening of our midfield is WAY more important than another ruckman because our Midfield can Rove to the opposition.

Alright, then. We have a complete list. Assuming 100% fitness of all players, this is how I would line up (I will, of course, forget somebody):

First 22:
B: D Terlich - T McDonald - J Frawley​
HB: J Grimes - C Garland - J Toumpas​
C: J Watts - J Viney - D Cross​
HF: J Howe - M Clark - B Vince​
F: J Hogan - C Dawes - D Kent​
R: M Jamar - N Jones - J Trengove​
I/C: D Tyson - V Michie - M Jones - [L Dunn]​
  • I like that back six and I think it looks fairly settled. I'm a fan of Toumpas' kicking coming out from half-back.
  • I'm iffy on our ruck setup. I'm starting with Jamar, but he's on thin ice. This side assumes full fitness in Clark, meaning that he can be the second ruckman. Realistically, Fitzpatrick probably comes in to give Jamar/Gawn/Spencer a chop-out.
Seconds:
B: J Strauss - C Pedersen - D Nicholson​
HB: M Clisby - A Georgiou - N Jetta​
C: R Bail - J McKenzie - A Riley​
HF: L Tapscott - J Fitzpatrick - S Blease​
F: D Barry - M Gawn - S Byrnes​
R: J Spencer - M Evans - C Salem​
I/C: J Kennedy-Harris - J Hunt - M King - J Harmes - M Westrupp​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright, then. We have a complete list. Assuming 100% fitness of all players, this is how I would line up (I will, of course, forget somebody):

First 22:
  • I like that back six and I think it looks fairly settled. I'm a fan of Toumpas' kicking coming out from half-back.
  • I'm iffy on our ruck setup. I'm starting with Jamar, but he's on thin ice. This side assumes full fitness in Clark, meaning that he can be the second ruckman. Realistically, Fitzpatrick probably comes in to give Jamar/Gawn/Spencer a chop-out.
Seconds:

Pretty close to agreeing with this. Would probably take soft option of a 7 man bench and add Fitzpatrick, Blease and Gawn to the squad. Would also replace M.Jones with McKenzie.

I think Matty Jones will struggle to hold his place amongst a 22 with far greater midfield options - not taking anything away from an impressive first season.

Also, Toump has plenty to do to secure top 22, but would like to see him get the early crack at it.

First 22:
F: M Gawn - C Dawes - D Kent​

Only change I would make at this stage would be to switch Hogan and Gawn. I think the extra ruck support would be beneficial for Clark to settle in. Also, I want the 1st years to earn their place in the team.

Unless of course Hogan trains down whole housing estates in the preseason... :rainbow:

First 22:
Seconds:

Would say that this is pretty spot on, I like the look of it!

BP: Terlich Frawley Garland
HB: Grimes McDonald Toumpas

W: Watts Viney Evans

HF: Howe Dawes Vince
FP: Blease Clark Hogan

R: Jamar Trengove Jones

Int: Cross Dunn Tyson M Jones
Emg: Gawn Salem Michie

Gone are the days where the team sheet is how the players play the whole game out, but I feel this is close to how it would pan out on the sheet, but I like most of us never get it completely right or anywhere near for that matter.

Since about 2008, maybe 2009, I thought we would have the defence to win us a premiership, and to be honest I still think that was a fair call, I still personally think that now we still do have one of the best backlines in the league (I'd say top 5-6, higher if it weren't exposed so much) it's just that we've been destroyed through the middle and they've been there to the whack, an almighty one at times.(For instance sometimes Frawley/Garland has 3-4 kicked on him and he's still probably BOG for us). If our midfield starts to improve to the point where the I50's aren't 38-75 I think, and most of you will agree that our defenders will start getting the recognition they deserve.

Our middle hasn't looked this good for quite sometime, I'd say since Bruce was in brownlow form, Mclean was a young and Aaron Davey was quick and exciting (soz flash). Though the team sheet reads Trengove, Jones, Watts, Viney, Evans, you also add in players that run through the middle as well in Cross, Tyson, M Jones, Vince potentially Toumpas maybe Blease and Howe for little stints. That's a decent middle for the next 5 years I keep forgetting Jones is only 25! All of those players bar Vince and Cross are 25 or younger! There's a good mixture in there as well, some good stoppage players in Jones, Viney, Cross, Tyson and Trengove. As well as some quality users in Watts, Toumpas and Vince. Throw in the hard running of Viney, Jones x2, Evans and there is something to work with and be excited about. The thing I really like about this middle is they aren't just names, such as Morton Gysberts types who we just chucked in there because of there draft positon, these guys have proven that they can play well at the highest level. Another pre season into most of these players will do them wonders especially Matt Jones, Trengove, Evans, Tyson, Watts, Viney and Nathan Jones who based on history is still 2 years away from his best football which is exciting.

This brings us to the forwards who 99% of Melbourne supporters, diehards, tragic's (whatever you want to call us) are frothing over. We haven't been this excited about a forward line since the 90's where Neitz, Schwartz, Lyon and Farmer, tore the rectums of the opposing teams defences. However, this non-consensual act of power was brought to the forefront far too little due to injuries and it seems as if the same may happen again. Clark, Dawes Hogan and Howe, could cause so much havoc to the extent that the opposition coaches have to do a Chad Rintoul and pull the pin due to constant migraines. If these men can somehow all stay fit, then there is no doubt this football club will be on the rise in 2014.

Now to a duller note, our rucks. Mark Jamar has done a genuine 360 and looks as if he's on the wrong side of playing his best football mainly due to injury. Hopefully he can stay fit, he isn't the most athletic Ruckmen and is more of a work horse, break the opponents rib sort of ruckmen, and playing with niggling calf, knee injuries is not going to do him any good. I'm confident Max Gawn is going to be a good ruckmen for us providing he can stay fit, I also do have hope for Big Pencil who has less confidence than me moments before the bounce of the 3rd Qtr at Etihad Stadium

Overall, our list on paper, has definitely improved since last season, credit goes to Taylor and his colleagues as well as Jackson for getting Roos who in turn saved our behinds (Keeping Watts getting Vince etc)from the wrath left by M Neeld

There is certainly plenty to look forward to, hopefully a fit team, further development from our 2-6 year players (so 90% of our list) and maybe even some results represented by the unfamiliar letter 'W'. However, I, like everyone on this board, know that potential only goes so far, and even though it's the most exciting time to be apart of the club in over 10 years, I'm not going to make any bold statements about the club as I've regrettably done in the past.

MFC will play finals in 2014

Only change I would make at this stage would be to switch Hogan and Gawn. I think the extra ruck support would be beneficial for Clark to settle in. Also, I want the 1st years to earn their place in the team.

Unless of course Hogan trains down whole housing estates in the preseason... :rainbow:

Pretty unfair to say Hogan hasn't earned his place in the team - third in the Liston and best and fairest at Casey! If he plays well in the preseason on top of that I think it'd set a bad example not to pick him, given his great form.

These threads are really just too much fun not to have. Just for that extra bit of hope whilst Steve Smith is getting pinged back into the 30th row of the second tier at the MCG by Ian Bell

Hopefully your footy predictions are as bad as your cricket!

Pretty unfair to say Hogan hasn't earned his place in the team - third in the Liston and best and fairest at Casey! If he plays well in the preseason on top of that I think it'd set a bad example not to pick him, given his great form.

I partly think it would be smart to support Jamar with Gawn. But I also partly don't think Hogan has earned it yet. But I did leave the door open to him earning it through the preseason.

I partly think it would be smart to support Jamar with Gawn. But I also partly don't think Hogan has earned it yet. But I did leave the door open to him earning it through the preseason.
If he'd been eligible to play in the AFL this season, would you have picked him in our senior side at any point during the year based off of his VFL form?

If he'd been eligible to play in the AFL this season, would you have picked him in our senior side at any point during the year based off of his VFL form?

Probably yes. But we didn't have half the competition for spots in the 1sts this year. Clark and Dawes hardly played, let alone together. I'd argue that they're both currently ahead of Hogan - but only just for Dawes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back