Strategy Round 1, 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Vince, Michie and Cross? I know they are trades, but we traded picks, so in effect they are draftees.

The part about Fitzy is interesting - and I don't totally agree, but I sure as hell don't disagree. I think Fitzy has the opportunity to become a (how shall I put it) Big Name Player for us (like Mitch or Dawes are/were looked upon), but I don't think he'll necessarily push Dawes out in regards to structure. You can have Dawes, clark, hogan and fitzy all on the ground at the one time, but Dawes will have to play as a smaller flanker rather than a tall forward. In essence, I guess I mean that he won't be playing as a tall marking option, but more of a use his body and provide constant pressure type flanker which would allow the smaller pockets to hit the packs and/or sneak a few as they do.

Hope that all came out right. After seeing dawes play last season, (and I know it's kinda like comparing chalk and cheese in comparison to Neeld & Roosy) but he kinda naturally plays that role anyway and roams up the wing a bit. Fitzy at CHF, Hogan on the other flank, with Clark at FF and a couple of good little pockets - it's gonna be easy for us to play them all at once.

My comment was more around the fact we don't have to put kids we just selected in the ND down as best 22 types before we've even seen them play. Michie yeah maybe, but the others are all proven. This time last year Toumpas and Viney were locks, this year Salem has to wait. It's a great thing.

Also, we can't play; Fitz, Hogan, Clark and Dawes all in the forward line. It's to tall, the ball would get rebound out so fast it's not funny. Besides Howe is a lock already, and is far from small so thats 5. This leaves only one player that can get it done off the deck. Won't happen. I can see Dawes in our VFL side quickly, as per his days at Collingwood.

For mine I'd go as follows:

B: D Terlich- J Frawley - C Garland​
HB: J Grimes - T McDonald - J Toumpas​
C: B Vince - J Viney - D Cross​
HF: J Howe - J Hogan - S Byrnes​
F: J Fitzpatrick - M Clark - D Barry​
R: M Jamar - N Jones - J Trengove​
I/C: D Tyson - V Michie - J Watts - [L Dunn]​

Byrnes selection assumes he runs both ways and can provide genuine forward pressure, failing this then one of M Jones, Evans or McKenzie come onto the bench, Watts goes to a wing and Vince to the HFF.

Fitz ahead of Dawes for team balance

For mine I'd go as follows:

B: D Terlich- J Frawley - C Garland​
HB: J Grimes - T McDonald - J Toumpas​
C: B Vince - J Viney - D Cross​
HF: J Howe - J Hogan - S Byrnes​
F: J Fitzpatrick - M Clark - D Barry​
R: M Jamar - N Jones - J Trengove​
I/C: D Tyson - V Michie - J Watts - [L Dunn]​

Byrnes selection assumes he runs both ways and can provide genuine forward pressure, failing this then one of M Jones, Evans or McKenzie come onto the bench, Watts goes to a wing and Vince to the HFF.

Fitz ahead of Dawes for team balance

You have Byrnes over Evans? You know what happens when you assume right? ;)

You are talking about our BEST 22 aren't you?

AFL team-

B Garland, Frawley, Terlich
HB Dunn, McDonald, Grimes
C Cross, N Jones, Watts
HF Vince, Clark, Trengove
F Hogan, Dawes, Howe
R Gawn, Tyson, Viney
INT Toumpas, Mitchie, Mckenzie
SUB Salem

VFL team-

B Nicholson, Georgio, Jetta
HB Clisby , Pedersen, Blease
C Harmes, M Jones, Barry
HF Byrnes, Fitzpatrick, Tapscott
F Kennedy-Harris, Jamar, King
R Spencer, Riley, Evans
INT Hunt, Bail, Kent, Strauss

You have Byrnes over Evans? You know what happens when you assume right? ;)

You are talking about our BEST 22 aren't you?
Evans is a limited footballer that has poor disposal and drops his head. Whilst Monty also has his weaknesses I think he has been unfairly maligned on account of him being bought in under the Neeld moneyball fiasco. He has a premiership medal and almost a second, if memory serves correctly he almost won a norm smith.

Left to work under the feet of Clark, Fitz and Dawes/Hogan exclusively, apply defensive forward pressure and not be expected to rotate through the midfield I feel he adds immediate value as our goal kicking small.

Evans is a limited footballer that has poor disposal and drops his head. Whilst Monty also has his weaknesses I think he has been unfairly maligned on account of him being bought in under the Neeld moneyball fiasco. He has a premiership medal and almost a second, if memory serves correctly he almost won a norm smith.

Left to work under the feet of Clark, Fitz and Dawes/Hogan exclusively, apply defensive forward pressure and not be expected to rotate through the midfield I feel he adds immediate value as our goal kicking small.

And here's the thing people need to get through their heads. Byrnes isnt a small forwards arseh*le.
He is a small link up flanker/winger. He doesnt crumb goals, he got 90% of his goals with link up play running forward with Geelong.
If youre going to be this sort of player in a bad side (which we are) you need to be classy (which he is clearly not) to have an impact, this is why i have never rated him as a player, we arent Geelong (able to correct his glaring deficiencies), hence Shannon Byrnes will be exposed as any ordinary player or struggle as he has for us.

And here's the thing people need to get through their heads. Byrnes isnt a small forwards arseh*le.
He is a small link up flanker/winger. He doesnt crumb goals, he got 90% of his goals with link up play running forward with Geelong.
If youre going to be this sort of player in a bad side (which we are) you need to be classy (which he is clearly not) to have an impact, this is why i have never rated him as a player, we arent Geelong (able to correct his glaring deficiencies), hence Shannon Byrnes will be exposed as any ordinary player or struggle as he has for us.
Maybe, maybe not. My memory of Byrnes at Geelong was that yes whilst he could provide the link up run he was still able to get to the front of the pack and shark the ball of the hands of the leading forwards. Maybe he’s not a goal sneak in the pure sense that a Milne or a Betts or whomever is, but we don’t yet have any better options for that role. Besides, that’s why I’d play him off a flank not in the pocket.

We are not Geelong, but Byrnes was good enough to be in that side. Sure he’s older now, but he’s a dam site better than some of the other shyt we have laying around.

Personally every time I see Byrnes named in our 22 a little part of me dies. He has dreadful hands, poor skills otherwise and makes decisions that cost us a lot of momentum and occasionally match-turning moments.

Maybe, maybe not. My memory of Byrnes at Geelong was that yes whilst he could provide the link up run he was still able to get to the front of the pack and shark the ball of the hands of the leading forwards. Maybe he’s not a goal sneak in the pure sense that a Milne or a Betts or whomever is, but we don’t yet have any better options for that role. Besides, that’s why I’d play him off a flank not in the pocket.

We are not Geelong, but Byrnes was good enough to be in that side. Sure he’s older now, but he’s a dam site better than some of the other shyt we have laying around.

I could argue this point with you but i wont bother. You think he has some use, ive always been convinced he is utter garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could argue this point with you but i wont bother. You think he has some use, ive always been convinced he is utter garbage.
How did he play in a premiership side? Cats obviously thought he had a use?? Not a star, but plays a role. That's all we need him to do too.

How did he play in a premiership side? Cats obviously thought he had a use?? Not a star, but plays a role. That's all we need him to do too.
As ive mentioned his asset at Geelonng was run and link up. The cats used this asset well and because of their star power this allowed them to overcome his deficiencies (terrible disposal and decision making). In the right environment he can be handy (im being kind here), but in a team like ours he is just plain useless.

As ive mentioned his asset at Geelonng was run and link up. The cats used this asset well and because of their star power this allowed them to overcome his deficiencies (terrible disposal and decision making). In the right environment he can be handy (im being kind here), but in a team like ours he is just plain useless.
Out of interest do you think Evans would have got a game in that cats side?

Out of interest do you think Evans would have got a game in that cats side?

Brent Prismall was of a similar standard and skill set to Evans and he was in and out much like Byrnes. Byrnes had pace, notice i used the term had.

Brent Prismall was of a similar standard and skill set to Evans and he was in and out much like Byrnes. Byrnes had pace, notice i used the term had.
Yep. None of them are any good. Evans, McKenzie, Bail, Kent and Byrnes. But we have to pick one and if its an unproven JKH we are no better off than in years prior.

Generous term for 'Joe the Goose'

Yep. None of them are any good. Evans, McKenzie, Bail, Kent and Byrnes. But we have to pick one and if its an unproven JKH we are no better off than in years prior.
Really? Kent isn't any good? Evans = no good? - ffs.

Both did 10x the amount byrnes did last season, and Evans was out injured for most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back