Autopsy Round 1, 2022: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frost - was excellent today.

CJ - arguably best on ground today, especially the first half.

Lewis - dominant. Exactly what we wanted.

Gunston - great return from injury. Nice foil for Lewis.

Finn - his gut running today was phenomenal. One moment he was in the forward pocket and the next he was deep in defence. He helped create multiple goals (including his own) through some real hard running.

He had some iffy kicks on his opposite though, but they were his opposite.

Newcombe - showed he can have an impact up forward which is absolutely crucial in today's game.

MacDonald - all class and composure. Really nice debut.

Ward - did some very classy things. Helped change the game when he went into the middle.

Sicily - great return from injury. Probably our most important behavior.

Nash - started very slow but worked his way into the game and had a positive impact. Didn't look out of place.

Even when I was a "hater" I always said we should give him a crack at ruck, as he'd be able to beat his man around the ground.

Shiels - didn't want him in the side, but he played well.

Backline in general - terrific team performance. We were undersized compared to North, and they played above themselves. Great group effort all round.

Credit to DGB who was asked to play a team role, as Sicily, Scrimshaw and CJ in particular were given licence to peel off their opponents.

Negatives:
Worpel - way off the pace in every regard. Had one nice kick though (but did he mean it?). Not a good start.

JOM - had no impact up forward but at least did some hard team thing in the middle in the second half.
Stiff on Worps, most of his touches were effective and good. Just didn't win enough of it in the end and didn't get enough midfield time imo.

Good to bag a win early in the season and lots of good things to look forward to. CJ was superb and best on ground - so were Jack, Sicily, Lewis, Nash. Even DGB got better as the match progressed. Disappointed with some of the seniors like Jaeger and Tom.
Finally on Chad: a player who has so much potential but tend to go absent most quarters. Good he delivered at the end but sometimes these types of players are more liability than an asset. They will do some freak thing every 3 or 4 games and suddenly he is indispensable. It will be a break or make year for him. I hope he delivers all 4 quarters than a freak goal to win a match.

Really interesting how the players stopped to wait for all staff members of the club to get into the song. They clearly acknowledge that we're starting fresh, and we're all in it together.

I found that simple act quite enlightening to the mentality of the group. Very encouraging.

Do we think we're going to go with that forward set-up for much of this year, Lewis and Gunner as keys? Or will it depend on the defence we play, I'd still like to see Kosi back in for a 'twin towers' type of set-up.
Probably have McEvoy in for Lynch next week so we will have three towers up there. With the Power losing more defensive talls, hopefully Gunston will get another mismatch.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Though not our best player today, I thought Reeves was terrific against a ruckman who has bent us over many times. Top effort

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rucked pretty much solo for most of the day.

Did very well. McEvoy will come back in and Lynch will be out with concussion. But suspect noodle will be playing for most of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I want to see Day in next week, I think he needs one more game in the VFL to get his touch back. He’s too important to risk given how young he still is. We have more than enough players to cover his absence for the time being.

North still doing what they do best, dragging their opposition down to their level.
Was really pleased how we stepped up and shook that off. It was almost a mirror image of last year in tassie

Newcombe was BOG in the second half

Still not sure on shiels, but that could be confirmation bias too, as I've not been his biggest fan for a few years

Reeves' game will be really underrated by the masses, but he was huge in nullifying north's rucks after Goldstein dominated early.

Lewis' best game by far

A lot to build on going forward

At the game - he was doing heaps off the ball and I thought he had a great game.

He was sent to Siberia in the first quarter. Then went on the ball in the second quarter and impacted the play. Thought he was fine but not outstanding.

I thoroughly enjoy how nobody has mentioned Dylan Moore's game yet, because it was very good, and the lack of commentary on it means this is what we've come to expect from him.

He felt like one of our senior players out there, which speaks volumes about how young we were.

I don't want to hate on Horne-Francis as a player but all of this for a 1 goal 13 disposal game, it's extremely over the top.
Will be a gun , but yeah I thought Macdonald and Ward had better games .

Its all good JHF and Daicos can take spotlight , in 12-18 months by the time the comp realise we have 2 jets from the same draft they will be well established AFL guns 🙂

I thoroughly enjoy how nobody has mentioned Dylan Moore's game yet, because it was very good, and the lack of commentary on it means this is what we've come to expect him him.

He felt like one of our senior players out there, which speaks volumes about how young we were.
I mentioned it in the last quarter of the thread, felt like his running at the end of the game was opening up a lot of our scores.

Frosty not getting enough love.
He gives absolutely everything and creates ball flow our way. That's right, ball flow. He actually changes the momentum from the sherrin coming in to the defensive 50 to not just negating and killing it, but to sending it the other way.
Any talk of Hartigan over Frost is wrong for mine.
Love him.

Cyril had some pretty good ones…..but agree, a lot of hype. But once he finds his groove he’s going to hurt a lot opposition.
But that's the point Cyril actually DID have some good ones. His name was mentioned exactly the same number of times as he touched the ball in his debut. This bloke was mentioned at one point because he was in the same half as the ball. Ball was in our forward pocket and King said "Horne Francis has ventured down the the back half." Wasn't near the ball, just has to shoot his load over him again.

I'm sure it's similar to a lot of you, but this is my first in person win since 2019. No crowds in 2020. Every game I attended in 2021 was a loss, as when we came good at the end of the year there were no crowds in Melbourne again. I needed this.

Not much credit given to Dylan Moore. I thought he had an underrated game pushing up the ground a lot.

19 disposals - 10 marks (2 contested) - 6 tackles - 4 tackles inside 50 - 6 inside 50s - 1 goal

Not much credit given to Dylan Moore. I thought he had an underrated game pushing up the ground a lot.

19 disposals - 10 marks (2 contested) - 6 tackles - 4 tackles inside 50 - 6 inside 50s - 1 goal

He has the game to be a real difference maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back