Preview Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Collingwood - Marvel Stadium, Friday 18th March, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Magpies

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if it is going to be the same process as last year where we need to book tickets through our memberships?

I renewed but thanks to COVID and disengagement due to our performance last year I don't even know what kind of membership I have.

Need to see another preseason match before I can gauge Clark and Byrnes' form. Clark did a few nice things in the intra club, but I don't think he was any better than Byrnes or Bytel for that matter, but there's a lot to like about those three. Sharman needs to play, as I think a forward line with King, Sharman and even Wood might be hard to match up on with their ability to take a mark and make goals out of nothing. Dmac has to play. I think Highmore is too good an intercept mark to leave out. More important than selection is consistency, as inconsistency killed us last season, especially in the midfield

Need to see another preseason match before I can gauge Clark and Byrnes' form. Clark did a few nice things in the intra club, but I don't think he was any better than Byrnes or Bytel for that matter, but there's a lot to like about those three. Sharman needs to play, as I think a forward line with King, Sharman and even Wood might be hard to match up on with their ability to take a mark and make goals out of nothing. Dmac has to play. I think Highmore is too good an intercept mark to leave out. More important than selection is consistency, as inconsistency killed us last season, especially in the midfield

I'd like both Byrnes and Clark in if possible , but if i had to choose, Clark's 2021 season puts him in front.
Highmore is a great intercept mark, but his rebounding work is not really as good as Webster, Hill or Sinclair.

I didn't see this previously, no idea about the details.

Saints.
Top five fastest players in 2021
Tim Membrey 35.60km/h
Jimmy Webster 34.92
Dan Butler 34.56
Ben Long 34.13
Dougal Howard 34.06

Looks like we will need to have a lockdown def ready to take on Elliot...Webster/Paton ideally suited to the role, or even wilkie as elliot is quite good aerially?

FB: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Hill, Battle, Sinclair
R: Marshall, Steele, Jones
C: Clark, Crouch, McKenzie
HF: Billings, Membrey, Higgins
FF: Butler, King, Sharman
IC: Byrnes, Webster, Gresham, Wood (Long)

Is anyone else nervous about this match?
Looks like a genuine danger game.

For starters, we’ve been notoriously bad on the big stage of Friday night footy for a decade now, while they’re much less bad at it, so we have to overcome that, then purely from a matchup perspective, they seem likely to be near full strength, and have both a strong midfield (Grundy, De Goey, Pendlebury, Adams, Sidebottom, Crisp, Lipinski, Daicos x 2) and a strong backline (Moore, Maynard, Pendlebury, Howe, Quaynor), so if they come to play, they could be a very tough nut to crack.

Would be disappointing to lose to a team with a forwardline as weak as theirs though.

We will hopefully have good matchups for their main threats up there in Elliott (Webster or Paton), Cox (Howard) and Mihocek (Wilkie).

Looks like we will need to have a lockdown def ready to take on Elliot...Webster/Paton ideally suited to the role, or even wilkie as elliot is quite good aerially?
Elliot will do a Hammie before then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Ryder is not available I’d go for the Marshall/Hayes combo. I really hope Campbell doesn’t get used. You know it’s going to end badly just like McKernan.

Campbell is a much better tap ruck than McKernan. Not as good forward.

Still annoying we didn't go for Peter Wright. I know his contract is huge but surely we can rework things like the Lions did with Daniher?

He'd be the perfect foil for RoMa as the #1 ruck.

Campbell looks like an upgrade on both McKernan and Phunter to me.

Looking at his stats for last year, he actually played all of his 9 games as 2nd-fiddle to Goldstein, so he was presumably playing mainly forward, but he looks much better suited to the no.1 ruck role, where you’d think we’d play him.

Compared to Phunter, he took 35 marks from his 9 games, to Paul’s paltry 5 from 7, he took contested marks in 7 of his 9 games, including 2 twice, while Paul didn’t take a single one from his 7 games, he had 19 disposals in one of his games (to go with 8 marks and a goal), while Paul didn’t have more than 10 in a game, and Paul had a high of 21 hitouts, while Campbell has had 49 and 47 hitouts in games before.

He looks like an upgrade in pretty much all aspects to Phunter.

Campbell looks like an upgrade on both McKernan and Phunter to me.

Looking at his stats for last year, he actually played all of his 9 games as 2nd-fiddle to Goldstein, so he was presumably playing mainly forward, but he looks much better suited to the no.1 ruck role, where you’d think we’d play him.

Compared to Phunter, he took 35 marks from his 9 games, to Paul’s paltry 5 from 7, he took contested marks in 7 of his 9 games, including 2 twice, while Paul didn’t take a single one from his 7 games, he had 19 disposals in one of his games (to go with 8 marks and a goal), while Paul didn’t have more than 10 in a game, and Paul had a high of 21 hitouts, while Campbell has had 49 and 47 hitouts in games before.

He looks like an upgrade in pretty much all aspects to Phunter.

He was probably my biggest tick from the practice match. He was competitive and not just in the ruck. He's pretty agricultural but he held his own. I think he's worth persisting with, hopefully a bit of a Pittonet, Hickey or one of those journeymen rucks that seem to come from nowhere after a very average career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back