Preview Round 1, 2022: St.Kilda v Collingwood - Marvel Stadium, Friday 18th March, 7:50PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Magpies

Votes: 20 22.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First round is always dangerous. There are always upsets. Teams still finding their groove. Some get a bounce with a new coach.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we lose this.

Danger game. Not sure if it’s because I’ve convinced myself that all our players are shit but I feel like all the other teams have genuine stars on every line & we don’t? I look at their potential 22 and go.. oh boy. We smoke their forward line with ours but we have issues getting the ball first 🤭

Skill, capacity to influence a game consistently, plays at a high level in the desired role. Sick of the bog average top ups. Seriously this just rarely works. You always end up with people saying well he’s only here to do a role or in case of emergency. Hunter and McKernan played a significant amount of football last year combined as the back ups. An absolute sh&t show. If we are going to play someone in that back up role I’d rather look at a younger player with development potential.

Skill, capacity to influence a game consistently, plays at a high level in the desired role. Sick of the bog average top ups. Seriously this just rarely works. You always end up with people saying well he’s only here to do a role or in case of emergency. Hunter and McKernan played a significant amount of football last year combined as the back ups. An absolute sh&t show. If we are going to play someone in that back up role I’d rather look at a younger player with development potential.
That's why we have Max Heath. Campbell is undoubtedly an upgrade on what we had last year.

That's why we have Max Heath. Campbell is undoubtedly an upgrade on what we had last year.
I get that and Heath would be an example of what I’m suggesting.
With Paddy’s body and Romas injuries I can just see us falling back on Campbell rather than opting for developing Heath or Adams in the 1s.
Risk averse coaching

With Paddy’s body and Romas injuries I can just see us falling back on Campbell rather than opting for developing Heath or Adams in the 1s.
Risk averse coaching

Most people want us to win games. Based on the tiny sample size of the intra-club, we're way more likely to win with Campbell out there rather than Heath.

Risk averse coaching
Well at least Campbell actually contributes I guess. At times last year Hunter was a liability, I don't think that'll be the case with Campbell. Good for Heath to learn under 2 veteran big men and Marshall who is one of the most promising young rucks in the league.

Hunter and McKernan were guys not expected to be required much but injury killed any chance of that. We have one ruck in development but he's probably 3 or 4 years off being at the level. If Marshall and Ryder miss games it would be left to Max Heath who must be 19 and never played a match. Then Sharman and Hayes as undersized pinch hitters, that would be a very unrealistic set up to be expecting finals from. Hickey and Pittonet both looked like spud options in their twilight years and both have been very good.

Looks like we will need to have a lockdown def ready to take on Elliot...Webster/Paton ideally suited to the role, or even wilkie as elliot is quite good aerially?

Yeah this is the key matchup for me, Elliot is great in the air but also very slippery when the ball is in traffic.

Wilkie a good match for the former and Webster/Paton for the latter.

I reckon Wilkie for Elliot and Webster/Paton can sweat the double D’s.

Battle surely gets first crack at Mihocek ?.

Yeah this is the key matchup for me, Elliot is great in the air but also very slippery when the ball is in traffic.

Wilkie a good match for the former and Webster/Paton for the latter.

I reckon Wilkie for Elliot and Webster/Paton can sweat the double D’s.

Battle surely gets first crack at Mihocek ?.
Wilkie will play on one of their talls.

Webster did a pretty good job on Elliot last time. I'd expect him to be given the job again.

Hunter and McKernan were guys not expected to be required much but injury killed any chance of that. We have one ruck in development but he's probably 3 or 4 years off being at the level. If Marshall and Ryder miss games it would be left to Max Heath who must be 19 and never played a match. Then Sharman and Hayes as undersized pinch hitters, that would be a very unrealistic set up to be expecting finals from. Hickey and Pittonet both looked like spud options in their twilight years and both have been very good.
The possibility of Paddy and Roma going down is very real. You’d hope not at the same time like last year. I’m thinking the more likely scenario is replacing one at a time. Then bringing in Heath or Hayes as 2nd ruck is a better option than Campbell because both are long term options.
Campbell will be what he is currently, maybe worse given he’s running around atm playing for his immediate future.
I’m just over the D grade Polly filler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The possibility of Paddy and Roma going down is very real. You’d hope not at the same time like last year. I’m thinking the more likely scenario is replacing one at a time. Then bringing in Heath or Hayes as 2nd ruck is a better option than Campbell because both are long term options.
Campbell will be what he is currently, maybe worse given he’s running around atm playing for his immediate future.
I’m just over the D grade Polly filler.
Hayes is not a long tern ruck option.

Morning pork chops and raw prawns everywhere. I'm looking forward to the new season. As I don't pay much attention to things in the off season, what are the major changes in personnel for this year, and do you think the squad is better? The bounce up time means I shall be working whilst you are watching the game, but I will see the highlights later, if not a full replay. Bring on the 4 a.m. starts for 2022!

Wilkie will play on one of their talls.

Webster did a pretty good job on Elliot last time. I'd expect him to be given the job again.
Agree Webster goes to Elliott.
Battle to Mihocek
Howard to Cameron/Cox/Kreuger whichever they go with. I expect only 1 of them.
Wilkie might be a good opponent for De Goey? Uses his body more than he leads and imo he wont spend much time in mid after an interrupted preseason.
Hoskin-Elliott is the only other one really he could go to but he often pays higher up the ground.
The rest are smalls (McCreery, Henry, Ginnivan sort of players)

Morning pork chops and raw prawns everywhere. I'm looking forward to the new season. As I don't pay much attention to things in the off season, what are the major changes in personnel for this year, and do you think the squad is better? The bounce up time means I shall be working whilst you are watching the game, but I will see the highlights later, if not a full replay. Bring on the 4 a.m. starts for 2022!
I thought you were telling us what you'd cooked. More Aussie than us.

We've brought in some silky rookies and the boys are being run ragged all summer. We're expecting improvement this year and we have an easier schedule. Everyone fit bar Nick Coffield who did his ACL.

Battle to Mihocek
Wilkie might be a good opponent for De Goey? Uses his body more than he leads and imo he wont spend much time in mid after an interrupted preseason.
Hoskin-Elliott is the only other one really he could go to but he often pays higher up the ground.
Wilkie had some pretty good moments on De Goey last time from memory so I think your right.

And if they played an extra tall, you could swap one of Wilkie/Battle onto them, Webster would then take De Goey and Paton on Elliot.

I thought you were telling us what you'd cooked. More Aussie than us.

We've brought in some silky rookies and the boys are being run ragged all summer. We're expecting improvement this year and we have an easier schedule. Everyone fit bar Nick Coffield who did his ACL.
No barbies in February here, mate; we've had several storms in the UK over the past couple of weeks which have done a lot of damage. Besides, I'm veggie :laughing:.

What about Collingwood? They were terrible last year, so it's a good fixture first up.

No barbies in February here, mate; we've had several storms in the UK over the past couple of weeks which have done a lot of damage. Besides, I'm veggie :laughing:.

What about Collingwood? They were terrible last year, so it's a good fixture first up.
They led by 66 points in their practice game against Hawthorn yesterday and ended up with a draw LOL so who knows. De Goey is out with broken ribs and he's one of their best. If we are serious this year we should beat them comfortably.

Battle to Mihocek
Wilkie to De Goey is a good call. Wilkie's the go to guy for Dustin Martin himself so he should be more than enough for Discount Dusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back