Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Another positive was Meek.
Like Harry Morrison showing on field leadership already, that might not be captured on TV.

They were missing more players.

Who would Hawthorn fans prefer - Weiderman or Kosi?

If we put that to the forum pre game I wonder how much in Kosi's favour it would have been. These were the two players leading the lines today due to the injuries to Lewis and 2MP.

Never mind no Stringer, who loves to feast on us.
Weidemann has been in the system a bit longer. And came from a successful club. He's no world beater but he is a better player currently than Kosi. If you get easy access to the ball like today an elite key forward would have kicked 8. Harry Jones looked dangerous too and he is average.

Sat level 1 centre wing so had a good perspective over the entire ground …….. last 3 quarters we seemed to play with a really poor attitude. Without the ball we were flat timid and seemed to not want to play for each other. Hate to say it but a bit of bruise free footy went on today. And then when we had it we were shy and played with fear. Be bold and brave lads!

Considering the profile of our list, people need to remember that we really aren’t supposed to win too many this year.

This is going to be another year of building up those guys that are going to be in our next side to compete while working out which ones won’t be there.

There were enough positives for me in that first quarter to tell me that we are in the right track

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
that's fine but dont get belted by 12 goals to a bottom 6 team laying 40 tackles either and look like you have some sort of defensive structure

It was the apparent lack of effort combined with seeming lack of any coherent defensive structure that were my big concerns. Essendon took it so easily out of backline and along wing time and time again. And even when we moved ball slowly our defenders were out of position on turnover.

The effort should be non-negotiable and the structure should be far better - north and saints looked better organised after a preseason with new coaches + obviously Essendon today as well. Are we unfit? Or just young? Was expected more hard running.

On the positive a number of our players couldn’t play much worse. Midfield cohesion should improve. We can’t be much defensive looser. Mackenzie had a great debut.

That was certainly a sobering experience.

Was on cloud nine at the end of the first quarter.

Finn was destroying their captain in Merrett, Newcombe and Ward had taken control of the centre square, Worpel was back to his 2019 best, MacKenzie hilariously walked into senior footy and dropped a near perfect performance, Greene had kicked his first AFL goal in half a decade…

Then Frosty kicked a torp for no reason whatsoever, Essendon steadied in the guts, realised we were playing unaccountable offensive football and with no target man up forward or even from kickout, picked off our dump kicks and walked it into goal.

McDonald-Tippungwuti taking a mark on Blanck/Sicily was genuinely funny by the way.

Huge positives from today, no one can argue that.
  • Mackenzie was outrageous.
  • Ward/Newcombe/Day/Worpel already look a better centre square combo than we’ve had in recent memory.
  • Blanck is a rock solid FB and took some good marks.
  • Nash came on and impacted the game.

But losing to * is painful and particularly when they were tipped to be as bad as us this year and had a lot of good players missing.

Need to sort out our forward mix ASAP - it’s a big challenge for Mitch, but even with no Lewis the ball should not be walking out of the 50 with such ease in round 1.

Tough watch but not unexpected . Club has been very clear with the direction and plan ahead .

If you cannot stomach games like today while we get 40-50 games into the guys , might be best to log off and join the bandwagon then .

We have some jets Mckenzie , Mcdonald and Ward we just need games in them Would love to magically push fast forward but you cant , the pain and the excitement of the rebuild .

We will be fine and a good side but we have some decent grind ahead .
Not being able to stomach bad defensive efforts against a rival is fine as long as it's handled in a mature way, I don't feel the need to lash out at anyone. It was a shit effort, don't need to hand out gold stars because we debuted one first gamer.

It was a mess mate swallow your pride and acknowledge it. Has nothing to do with waiting another 40-50 games if you can't do the simple things well.
It has everything to do with that.

The coach is on the record as saying that’s exactly what happens with inexperience.

“Young players do something really well one moment and then the next they do something really poor.” Sam said this as recently as this week on SEN.

I’m beginning to think that it’s pointless that Sam and the club have put so much effort into explaining the list build and the things that we will undoubtedly see, that we need to be patient with, if people are going to ignore their words.

That was certainly a sobering experience.

Was on cloud nine at the end of the first quarter.

Finn was destroying their captain in Merrett, Newcombe and Ward had taken control of the centre square, Worpel was back to his 2019 best, MacKenzie hilariously walked into senior footy and dropped a near perfect performance, Greene had kicked his first AFL goal in half a decade…

Then Frosty kicked a torp for no reason whatsoever, Essendon steadied in the guts, realised we were playing unaccountable offensive football and with no target man up forward or even from kickout, picked off our dump kicks and walked it into goal.

McDonald-Tippungwuti taking a mark on Blanck/Sicily was genuinely funny by the way.

Huge positives from today, no one can argue that.
  • Mackenzie was outrageous.
  • Ward/Newcombe/Day/Worpel already look a better centre square combo than we’ve had in recent memory.
  • Blanck is a rock solid FB and took some good marks.
  • Nash came on and impacted the game.

But losing to * is painful and particularly when they were tipped to be as bad as us this year and had a lot of good players missing.

Need to sort out our forward mix ASAP - it’s a big challenge for Mitch, but even with no Lewis the ball should not be walking out of the 50 with such ease in round 1.

Tippa took the mark on Frost. Sicily tried to come off his man to affect the play, but Frost was his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a mess mate swallow your pride and acknowledge it. Has nothing to do with waiting another 40-50 games if you can't do the simple things well.
In AFL or any professional sport when you make change to personal there will be issues with cohesion and synergy within the team .
The coach , head of fitness and club have made this very clear. If you follow sport you know this as a reality of a rebuild .

We have made a lot of change to personal in addition to adding young players into the team.
10, 20 , 30 , 40 whatever games it is there will be needed consistently within the group to get that cohesion happening .

I never said today wasnt poor . It was . Its not excusable but there are reasons for it.

It has everything to do with that.

The coach is on the record as saying that’s exactly what happens with inexperience.

“Young players do something really well one moment and then the next they do something really poor.” Sam said this as recently as this week on SEN.

I’m beginning to think that it’s pointless that Sam and the club have put so much effort into explaining the list build and the things that we will undoubtedly see, that we need to be patient with, if people are going to ignore their words.
Interesting take. Not putting pressure on the opposition is a sign of inexperience. That quote isn't referencing what I'm referring to either so you have missed the boat here. I will wear mistakes like any other fan. That's what riding the bumps means. I'm under no illusion the challenges we face either but it doesn't excuse a poor showing like today. Your using the we are on a journey narrative as a copout. You may see things at a more personal level than others and that's fine but I also follow things quite closely too. If we're accepting crap because of inexperience than the club isn't where it needs to be.

When you run and gun through the middle, it's not a surprise when the defense is caught out by a mistake or turnover.

But when you take no risks, and move it slowly, the defense should be ready.

Somehow we both seem to have no-one forward of the ball when we force a turnover, and no-one set up behind the ball when we turn it over.

Gonna be a very long year.
Thats because any half decent defensive structure is going to stop a young team lacking any real star power up forward and a real lack of synergy and connection. This looked like the Geelong game. Hopefully we can turn things around play more like the collingwood game. If ppl are expecting us to be able to defend you're kidding. U just have to look at the way we setup agggresive and ready to run. We r simply not good enough to play this style currently with any sort of consistent success. Its going to get ugly against the better sides. You cant have ure cake and eat it too. We r learning to attack first the pitfalls of which are going to be self apparant. Defending is not sexy however absolutely imperative if u want to be successful. We looked unorganised and a bit of a rabble just like the Geelong game when the wheels fall off they all do. We need pre seasons and games into our kids playing as a team. I will say this we need Morrison back ASAP in the midfield quite a few times our setup at stoppages was so unorganised.

Interesting take. Not putting pressure on the opposition is a sign of inexperience. That quote isn't referencing what I'm referring to either so you have missed the boat here. I will wear mistakes like any other fan. That's what riding the bumps means. I'm under no illusion the challenges we face either but it doesn't excuse a poor showing like today. Your using the we are on a journey narrative as a copout. You may see things at a more personal level than others and that's fine but I also follow things quite closely too. If we're accepting crap because of inexperience than the club isn't where it needs to be.
I’m not using it as a cop out as much as I’m contextualising what I saw.

The good I saw was a lot of our midfielders connecting and brealing from the centre stoppages. The poor was the efforts to roll onto the next bomber palyer, to press up into space and push back to help the defense when the switch was continually on.

There’s accepting the loss and then there’s rationalizing it. I’m doing more of the latter.

The coach and footy dept gave us a very good and direct opportunity to understand that todays outcome could be something that was on the cards in the early part of 2023.

First game in the flesh since 2021 and lots to noodle on. Obviously a young side so will not read too much into a single performance, but the forward line is a real issue. Very disappointed in the lack of structure - when our mids had ball in hand looking forward, our forwards are standing next to (or behind) their opponents pointing towards goal for the cheapy out the back.. how about leading at the player with the ball and creating some separation??

Out - Koschitzke
In - Ramsden

I know ideally we’d like to leave Max at Box Hill for the year, or most of it, but we don’t have that luxury because Kosi is no
where near AFL standard. When your forward line is undersized to begin with, and the coach subs out the only tall shortly after half time, you know he’s making a statement.

Last edited:
Out - Koschitzke
In - Ramsden

i know ideally we’d like to leave Max at Box Hill for the year, or most of it, but we don’t have that luxury because Kosi is no
where near AFL standard. When your forward line is undersized to begin with, and the coach subs out the only tall shortly after half time, you know he’s making a statement.

Either ramsden or Lynch. Not sure if a current ruck makes way. Ramsden more mobile than lynch, lynch craftier

I liked patches of what i saw but our transition breaking down in the face of a pretty average defensive team was telling.

It’s going to be a long road but there were glimpses - a lack of fwd quality meant we didnt capitalise but i saw enough of a young midfield to think the ingredients are there.

The biggest disappointment for me was I think we were a touch soft and got out muscled by a team of downhill skiers. Unsociable intra clubs mean nothing if you are a bit meek in the real stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Bombers beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back