Autopsy Round 1, 2023: St.Kilda v Fremantle *PHILLIPOU, CAMINITI DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird isn't it. Apparently don't have an option to change my opinion if circumstances change. I guess the halfwits over in the West know best šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
LMwBREb.gif

We are lucky to have replacements this week for Webster and Bytel / Paton and Windhager

Yes,
  • Windy upgrade on Bytel (Though Bytel did well on Brayhsaw who was very good against us in the game before)
  • Though Paton a downgrade on Webster (Though is still very capable and moreso if he can find the form he had before Roughie broke his leg for him)
Though Ross may be a possible in as well.

Buggered if I know who will be playing for Sandy though, when they take on the Southport Sharks this weekend!

100% agree with this .. he is still the best kick in our side he just gets a bit rushed .. that will definitely click .. love him off half back and he will start hitting his targets

Best example I can remember was jack newnes first 20 games he looked really rushed and made mistakes even though you knew he was a beautiful kick ā€¦. The next 80 odd he was prob the best user in our team .
I have to say I find it hard to get too invested in NWM, that will change if he does sign a contract extension though!

Now in hindsight it's interesting to listen to Longmuir's comments before the bounce on Sunday. Said he was nervous and anxious about how they'd perform, which I think is somewhat normal for an opening game but he didn't look very confident at all, and then we saw what happened in the two hours following. Scratched his nose as he said "I trust the players have done the work" too LOL

The messaging all week from Ross was completely different, all about possibility and the players being flint hard and ready to compete.

No matter how anyone spins it, Longmuir would hate the fact that he got absolutely pantsed by the guy he replaced.

Last edited:
No matter how anyone spins it, Longmuir would absolutely hate the fact that he got absolutely pantsed by the guy he replaced.
Out of say, the first six rounds, that was definitely the game to win. It shut up all the naysayers, showed the kids the possibilities and built belief in the system. Couldn't have been a better result!

I'm a bit more at ease for this week I must say. I don't expect us to win purely based on our outs, but look forward to what the coaches have in store, something I haven't been able to say for a long time.

Went to the game and, like most of us was incredibly impressed by our organisation and effort. If we bring that every week we're in for a treat this year.

Watched a replay last night and I must say I hope Doogs gets a slap for a few of his efforts, his weak attempt at a shepard for Webster and second efforts are just not up to it. Shithouse.

Went to the game and, like most of us was incredibly impressed by our organisation and effort. If we bring that every week we're in for a treat this year.

Watched a replay last night and I must say I hope Doogs gets a slap for a few of his efforts, his weak attempt at a shepard for Webster and second efforts are just not up to it. Shithouse.

Yeah but doogs did do a few very good things too- put some important spoils in etc.

Hopefully he irons out the bad over time under a proper team structure

It's funny coz it's true...I called out 3 votes umpire 25 at one stage.
I've only watched the replay of the first two quarters. Was really well umpired Q1. It was really horribly umpired Q2. Some real headscratchers like NWM marking over Brayshaw (pinged for unrealistic maybe?), Webster's holding the ball with no prior, Wilkie free against when it should have been a free for and subsequent 50, Aish throwing (double paddle with one hand) before Clark spoiled and it's called deliberate). I could think of more but that would require more brain power than it's worth.

Basically 2nd Q gave the Dockers shots on goals from frees to Tabener (goal), Jackson (OOF), Treacy (Goal) and a 50m to Aish (Goal) which was incredibly soft/sensitive.

On replay Byrnes was bloody good actually. Gresh less so and needs to improve his decision making or will be in trouble.
Gresh should have kicked 4 on the weekend.

Our counter attack was very, very quick and we wasted some very good looks. Gresh got into some really dangerous spots and could have had a big day out. Hopefully that continues and we just start finishing better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to Jimmy Webster today.

I've only watched the replay of the first two quarters. Was really well umpired Q1. It was really horribly umpired Q2. Some real headscratchers like NWM marking over Brayshaw (pinged for unrealistic maybe?), Webster's holding the ball with no prior, Wilkie free against when it should have been a free for and subsequent 50, Aish throwing (double paddle with one hand) before Clark spoiled and it's called deliberate). I could think of more but that would require more brain power than it's worth.

Basically 2nd Q gave the Dockers shots on goals from frees to Tabener (goal), Jackson (OOF), Treacy (Goal) and a 50m to Aish (Goal) which was incredibly soft/sensitive.
It made me re-live lasts years game against them at Marvel all over again, the umpiring f*cked us then (Lobbs free free kick for tripping over his own feet that resulted in a goal came to mind) it was like umpire 25 was channeling his inner Matt Stevic.

Last edited:
After re-watching the game thereā€™s a few things I noticed that stood out to me.

Sinclair is elite. No bones about it, looks like being AA again.

Battle was completely underrated, spoiling, intercepting and just being completely reliable. Killed Matt Tabener

Gresham looked out most dangerous player in the forward half. Absolutely needs to be a fwd or at minimum a 70-30 fwd/mid. Yes he had a few moments of poor decision making, but when the balls in dispute in our forward 50m he looks the most dangerous.

Owensā€™ competitiveness and work rate is extremely high, especially for an 8 gamer. Always creates a contest in the air to bring it to ground and his second efforts once it hits the deck is as good as anyone. Also gets to good spots too. If he never makes it as a mid he could always be a very handy forward for us.

Byrnes another with high work rate. Just ran hard all day both offensively and defensively. Some of his inside stuff was really good too and surprised me a little bit. Letā€™s hope he continues to build on that.

Wilkie will be an AA one day. Just the most reliable footballer we have now behind Sincs.

Wood is, dare I say probably our most important player other than maybe Sinclair. His ability to work hard defensively to help out the defense and then seemingly be able to make it up the other end of the ground to provide a scoring option is just elite. He only kicked the 2 but he couldā€™ve easily had a 4-5 goals. Canā€™t believe how good heā€™s become honestly.

Nas had a pretty down day skills wise. Donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen him miss as many kicks as he did on Sunday. But what impressed me was his ability to keep going for them and keep getting in dangerous spots to receive the footy off half back. Iā€™ll back him in to fix his kicking up and thereā€™ll be a point this year where he will have a massive impact on the game like Sincs does.

Pou. Well I love him. Can just tell he has it all to be a genuine superstar in the future.

We turned the ball over 53 times in the middle of the ground and we gave upā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.one goal. Thatā€™s why you get Ross Lyon. Thereā€™ll be bigger tests than boring Freo but thatā€™s an extraordinary number.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1, 2023: St.Kilda v Fremantle *PHILLIPOU, CAMINITI DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back