Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok the biggest downer of this game now I've had a time to think is Collard; told he will get his first game, starts as sub, gets subbed on and burnt a few times and has to mark his first game as a loss down in Hillbilly stadium. Hope he gets another full game soon, he showed a few things in his limited opportunity.
His family should be put up in Melbourne for another week…by the club and the players who burned him. 🤣

Wonder how long we’ll persist with Pous education in the midfield.
Not sure we (Lyon and co) know what to do with him and Chito.
I personally think the coaching needs a bit of early feedback/review.

I dont think we can afford to when we are playing stronger sides. Give him some minutes when we are travelling better against weaker opponents, he is a long way off being ready. The coaches had a mare last particularly with the midfield rotations they were shocking and left the same players to struggle for most of the game. Crouch simply shouldnt have played.

I understand they wanted to use Owens as the 2nd ruck, but he hardly had any time in there. Then surely he should be used as a clearance mid, particularly when we were struggling in there. Windhager should play permanent midfield and Henry also should have been moved in there a lot earlier. It was a very very ordinary start to Goddards midfield coaching career IMO.

When was the last time we had a physical bull like Owens and we are not using him in the middle. Let him go and throw his weight around in there and start to intimidate some opponents with his attack on the ball.

I think RTB suggested Windy had issues with his hand so perhaps he was a bit restricted also. Again playing players who are under done and with injuries I thought we were past that?

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's the textbook definition of non-improvement.
Firstly I was responding to a comment about the “constant talk” of us finishing top 4. Personally, I don’t remember any. And if there was it certainly wasn’t a constant theme.

Don’t agree. Improvement is not linear. We know we’re a work in progress. We’re probably one of the younger lists and we have a harder draw this year. Just look at our first two games and with a 5 day break thrown in as an example. Still bedding down a new game plan. We are not challenging this year.

Well considering we are hitting the draft again and still developing the list keep him there. 3 clearances and 3 tackles was about standard relative to the midfield time he had imo.

Firstly I was responding to a comment about the “constant talk” of us finishing top 4. Personally, I don’t remember any. And if there was it certainly wasn’t a constant theme.

Don’t agree. Improvement is not linear. We know we’re a work in progress. We’re probably one of the younger lists and we have a harder draw this year. Just look at our first two games and with a 5 day break thrown in as an example. Still bedding down a new game plan. We are not challenging this year.
I wasn't attacking your statement, merely pointing out that the white knights of the board who take offense to the notion of non-improvement aren't even aligned with what you've stated is general consensus.

Every club 'improves' year on year, however if you're not improving in your final standing, you haven't effectively improved.

It's like claiming you're 'making more money than ever before' after moving to Venezuela.

Dare I say some a being a touch reactive on Higgo.

He definitely needs to find form but it would be foolish to completely write him off. He plays a tough position, and yet at his best can rack the ball up and kick a bag, at times he’s been the leading goal kicker in the league for small forwards. He’s still in the younger part of his career, and I’d like to think he can work into form as he’s shown in the past, but maybe that does require some time at Sandy if Collard is knocking down the door.

We tend to jump down King and Higgins throat whenever they miss set shots, and fair enough it’s been brutally hard to watch when they do, but they also have good form making it up.

Tough job for Ross and co ahead, there is a puzzle to be solved in the selection of our team and how to maximise its utility and talent, but I’m very bullish that our capacity for good football is much higher than last nights display & Ross and co have as good a chance as anyone to unlock that.

What we are going to give up on it after 1 game in his second season and 25 in total? 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't attacking your statement, merely pointing out that the white knights of the board who take offense to the notion of non-improvement aren't even aligned with what you've stated is general consensus.

Every club 'improves' year on year, however if you're not improving in your final standing, you haven't effectively improved.

It's like claiming you're 'making more money than ever before' after moving to Venezuela.
Well this is short sighted.

There are roughly 4 sides every year that are genuine contenders. We are not and have not been one since maybe 2011.

Therefor every year we are building towards being a contender and that doesn’t mean the ladder positioning will always be an ascension. We could very well fall out of the 8 and still have had a successful year towards the goal of being a contender and winning a flag if we see another 20 games into Pou Nas Windy Owens + Collard Wilson Shoenmaker Caminiti Hugo etc getting games.

As much as people predicted Geelong will drop off - much like they have been for the best part of a decade. Geelong, at the cattery is as tough as Port in Adelaide or Brisbane in Brisbane.

1-1 would be a great spot after 2 rounds. But it was always likely to be 0-2.

I said if we play like that. We can turn it around but that was playing a pretty s**t Geelong and we were flattered by the score line. Could have been a 40 point loss if they’d punished us. Hopefully the Pies are still in a slump or we could get smashed.
Watched the first quarter back and in the cold light of day we didn’t fire our shot when we had loaded the chamber.

Should have been up 2-4 goals at quarter time and then it’s very different.

I dont think we can afford to when we are playing stronger sides. Give him some minutes when we are travelling better against weaker opponents, he is a long way off being ready. The coaches had a mare last particularly with the midfield rotations they were shocking and left the same players to struggle for most of the game. Crouch simply shouldnt have played.

I understand they wanted to use Owens as the 2nd ruck, but he hardly had any time in there. Then surely he should be used as a clearance mid, particularly when we were struggling in there. Windhager should play permanent midfield and Henry also should have been moved in there a lot earlier. It was a very very ordinary start to Goddards midfield coaching career IMO.

When was the last time we had a physical bull like Owens and we are not using him in the middle. Let him go and throw his weight around in there and start to intimidate some opponents with his attack on the ball.

I think RTB suggested Windy had issues with his hand so perhaps he was a bit restricted also. Again playing players who are under done and with injuries I thought we were past that?
You take Owens away from that forward line and Stewart + Henry are effectively dominating the air whilst Kolo and SDK are manning King and Membrey.

In terms of underdone players playing. Really it was only Crouch. But who are you replacing him with?

Sinclair Dow Butler Paton Howard Clark all injured.

Leaves you with Garcia Hotton and Jones - coming off a concussion.

You take Owens away from that forward line and Stewart + Henry are effectively dominating the air whilst Kolo and SDK are manning King and Membrey.

In terms of underdone players playing. Really it was only Crouch. But who are you replacing him with?

Sinclair Dow Butler Paton Howard Clark all injured.

Leaves you with Garcia Hotton and Jones - coming off a concussion.

Can Crouch be given an excuse in the context of RLs comment the team picked itself.

Doesn't that suggest he had plenty of options for picking a team without any injuries or excuses?

Which comes to your other point, who would you replace him with if he was underdone, if that is the dilemma in R1 then it illustrates just how far we've got to go before we have the depth to challenge.

Last quarter
  • Umps burn Bonner
  • King burns Lance
  • King burns Lance again
  • Steele nails Mannagh HTB ump with perfect view, play on, goal
  • Stocker gets kneed in the back, free to Danger, Stocks gone
  • Coops in position to intercept gets elbowed in the face by Ro. Cats goal.
  • Owens marks in f50, Stewart throws King to the ground right in front of the ump, 50m every day of year. Nuffin. Owens shanks it.
  • King burns Collard again, but Wilson goals
Bonner a defensive liability and not best 22. At least we didn't pay anything.
Snags is easily our best kicking into f50 with great vision and game sense.
Leave Collard in, Pou up forward and Snags to get on his bike.
Cordy and Byrnes very underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back